Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 05:24:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: CoinPal beta - Buying bitcoins with PayPal  (Read 170512 times)
Satori

Activity: 51
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 01, 2011, 10:35:57 PM

Regardless of whether or not the department that gave you permission to trade BitCoins was authorized to, you have their permission.  In commerce law, this is referred to as "principal and agent".  The agent (say a teller at a bank) is understood to represent the principal (the bank manager) and vice-versa.  If they misrepresent, it's the bank that must keep its word to you - not you that must be inconvenienced by the bank.  Same goes here.
This is only applicable and useful if you have evidence to support such permission. Satori is absolutely right that the agent(s) represent the entity and thus if they misrepresent the entity the entity is liable for such misrepresentation. Without evidence of the misrepresentation it would be foolish to enter a court and attempt to hold the entity responsible. Always collect evidence when interacting with PayPal and similar companies. It is perfectly legal to record a telephone conversation with PayPal and many other companies without notifying them you are recording (in ALL US states) and such recording can be used as evidence in court.

In 1992 a real court ruled that PayPal couldn't include that proviso, because it fraudulently convinced Paypal users that they had no access to real courts as a result.  Last I checked a few months ago, the proviso was still in PayPal's EULA despite the court ruling.
Are you sure that was 1992? Smiley

You're correct of course, it was 2002.

For the record, our modern chancery courts aren't "real" courts within the Union either.  But they did manage to supplant our common law courts over the last couple hundred years.  Interestingly the court ruled against PayPal essentially for seeking to do to its customers what the government had already been doing to its citizenry.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kblessinggr

Activity: 1

View Profile
May 02, 2011, 12:47:14 AM

Alertpay
EPIC FEES. $5 for a bank transfer?
Paypal didn't charge a fee to deposit or withdraw
#bitcoin-otc Wink
Just registered, but I stand by my earlier comment

It was only 50 cents for me to to do a bank transfer. The only more expensive bank option was a wire for 15$.

The only $5 option I saw was to fund a credit or debit card as a means of withdrawl.
opticbit

Activity: 695
Merit: 502

PGP: 6EBEBCE1E0507C38

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2011, 03:08:33 AM

Can you use Google Voice for the sms confirmation thingy?

yes, I have a google voice # that I used on coinpal.

Bitrated user: opticbit.
https://www.bitrated.com/opticbit
VillageChump

Activity: 29

View Profile
May 02, 2011, 05:38:03 AM

I really hate Paypal!  Angry Thanks for your help ndrix.  Smiley
Kick

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2011, 07:50:00 AM

havent had the time, but how about amazon payments?

n4l3hp

Activity: 173
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 02, 2011, 08:09:28 AM

There are many countries not supported by Amazon.
colossus

Activity: 121

Obey me and live or disobey and die.

View Profile
May 02, 2011, 09:10:29 AM

How about switching to http://www.paymate.com

they are in direct competition with paypal and might welcome the custom.
Third Way

Activity: 238

View Profile
May 02, 2011, 11:17:22 AM

How about switching to http://www.paymate.com

they are in direct competition with paypal and might welcome the custom.

Good idea. After the PayPal fiasco,  It would also be prudent to work out all details beforehand so as to not face some form of similar consequence

blease resbond -> 1BYJKxpntNn6TZbM5M5CWkEb8vr8vDcBrr
BitcoinBonus

Activity: 46

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2011, 11:31:12 AM

I'd suggest people use Venmo.
This payment system has no transaction fees for the consumer, it is funded when people use it with merchants.  
Bitcoin Bonus provides 50 cents USD worth of Bitcoin when you sign up for it via the link above and fully complete your Venmo profile, and then Claim your Venmo Bonus by entering in your Venmo username.   (You'll also get a dollar from Venmo).

You also can go social with Venmo and optionally let other people know that you're buying bitcoin, helping promote it, but you can keep your transactions private as well.  Here are some more details from the Venmo website:

Venmo: The story.
Venmo was built by two friends that found it incredibly frustrating to pay each other and their friends back. I'll get you, you get me back hardly ever works out, and eventually the missing cash starts to add up. Venmo was built to solve this problem by allowing anyone with a phone to settle mini debts between friends in person, securely and instantly. But that's not all. Venmo is designed to be social and fun, just like the times you have when you're spending money with your friends. You can share your payments, keep track of the places you're spending money, and leave personal notes with every payment you make. We think of Venmo as the best payment service for friends.
What is Venmo?
Venmo is an iPhone, Android and Blackberry App that lots of people use to pay back their friends. It's completely FREE (no transaction fees) to use, and it makes splitting the bill at a restaurant between a group of friends very easy, and kind of fun. There are plenty of other ways to use Venmo, for example paying your roommates back for living expenses like rent, utilities and groceries, or getting your co-workers back for lunch runs or coffee runs. It's even useful to send friends birthday cash, or other cash gifts instead of writing checks. Whenever a friend owes you money, just use Venmo.
How big is Venmo?
Tens of thousands of people in America use Venmo, and we've processed millions of dollars in transaction volume between friends. And, we're still in Private Beta. That's awesome, right?
What are some ways to use Venmo?
The most frequent use case is splitting up a lunch or dinner bill at a restaurant with 2 or more friends. We've all been there before, one person gets the bill and has to figure out how to collect the money from everyone. Venmo saves the day in this situation. Other ways people use Venmo are to settle living expenses with roommates like rent, utilities or cable; to get money for concert tickets and trips; to pay co-workers back for coffee or lunch runs. Basically, whenever someone owes you money, or you owe someone money, just settle it up with Venmo.
How do I pay someone, where does the money come from?
It comes from a credit card or a debit card that you link to your phone number. Once you signup, we walk you through the whole process, and it only takes a couple minutes.
If I receive money, how does it get into my personal Bank Account?
That's easy. Just setup Direct Deposit when you signup, and we automatically transfer all the money you receive on Venmo into your bank account every two weeks. You can always cash out manually if you'd like, but rolling deposits make it really convenient for you to get your money. To setup Direct Deposit, you need to know your bank's routing number and account number (you can find it on a check from your bank or in your online banking portal), that's all! We designed it this way so you don't have to worry about maintaining an extra balance somewhere.
What banks does Venmo work with?
We've partnered up with all the major banks in the country.
Is Venmo Secure?
Absolutely. Venmo uses Bank Grade Security and 256-bit SSL to encrypt and transmit all of your data. Venmo is also certified by Verisign, the leading SSL provider in world.
Venmo is certified by Verisign
What makes Venmo better than other payment services?
For starters, we're completely free to use and there are no transaction fees when you make a payment.

There are lots of other reasons too:

* Direct Deposit. You can setup direct deposit and we'll automatically transfer any money you receive on Venmo into your bank account every two weeks. You're free with your cash, and we're not trying to earn interest on the float.
    * It's Social. Venmo is the first social payments service. On Venmo, you can share select payments with your friends on Venmo, Facebook, Twitter, and Foursquare as a way of telling them what you're up to. This is a fun way to engage with Venmo, and you get to leave comments on shared payments. Don't worry, only friends you explicitly accept can see the payments you share.
    * Realtime Statistics. We give you detailed statistics after every payment you make. This keeps you informed about how much you're spending with your friends, and if you add your location to a payment, we tell you how many times you've visited that place and how much you're spending there.
    * Your Phone Comes First. You can do everything on your phone. That includes signing up, adding your credit card and making your first payment. This makes it so easy to get your friends to use Venmo with you, especially when your hanging out with each other!

How much does it cost to use Venmo?
It's completely free to use Venmo. There are no fees to signup, and there are no transaction fees.
If it's free to use, how does Venmo make money?
While Venmo does not work with any service providers, or businesses right now, it has plans to work with them in the future. There will be standard transaction fees charged to any business that uses Venmo. This will allow Venmo to remain free for friends to use with each other.
How do I get an invite to Venmo?
Just join our waiting list, or ask a friend that's on there to invite you. We're constantly sending out invitations to new users.
I have more questions
Not a problem! Just use our contact form to get in touch with us, and we'll be happy to answer any of your questions.
deadlizard

Merit: 11

View Profile
May 02, 2011, 11:39:23 AM

I'd suggest people use Venmo.
sounds interesting. is it international?

btc address:1MEyKbVbmMVzVxLdLmt4Zf1SZHFgj56aqg
gpg fingerprint:DD1AB28F8043D0837C86A4CA7D6367953C6FE9DC

HostFat
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 1203

I support freedom of choice

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2011, 11:53:13 AM

It does't work here in Italy ...

NON DO ASSISTENZA PRIVATA - http://hostfatmind.com
mndrix (OP)
Michael Hendricks
VIP

Activity: 447
Merit: 258

View Profile
May 02, 2011, 03:05:01 PM

Do you still give OTC-Ratings?

Yes.  Automated OTC ratings still work.  You can link your PGP key to your CoinPal account to receive automated OTC ratings.
mndrix (OP)
Michael Hendricks
VIP

Activity: 447
Merit: 258

View Profile
May 02, 2011, 03:07:07 PM

Green Dot cards are reloadable at 7-11s.  Wonder if they have an API that BitCoin site could use to accept Green Dot-loaded funds.

As far as I can tell, Green Dot doesn't have a public API for accepting payment.  I've contacted them several times about selling Bitcoins for MoneyPak, but they never return my calls or emails.

Thank you to everyone for the suggestions about alternative payment methods.  I'll consider them all in the coming months.
Psychoactive

Activity: 55

View Profile
May 02, 2011, 03:10:21 PM

this sucks, coincard was one of the main reasons I love bitcoin
hopefully the accounts will be unfrozen soon.
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 02, 2011, 04:19:09 PM

+1 on Venmo, sounds awesome, and exactly what we need!
trentzb

Activity: 406
Merit: 251

View Profile
May 02, 2011, 04:34:25 PM

3.1 - Sending Limits.
We may, at our discretion, impose limits on the amount of money you can send through our Service. If you have a Verified Account, we may increase your sending limits.

5.5 - Security Interest.
To secure your performance of this Agreement, you grant to Venmo a lien on and security interest in your Account.

6.2 - Withdrawal Limits.
Depending on the degree to which you have Verified your Account, we may limit you to withdrawing no more than $500.00 USD per month. In addition, we may delay withdrawals of large sums of money while we screen for risk.

Venmo might work ok for most as most people don't read User Agreements/Terms. Just click "Ok, I Accept" and proceed. Not uncommon terms though.

deadlizard

Merit: 11

View Profile
May 02, 2011, 04:50:07 PM

Do you still give OTC-Ratings?

Yes.  Automated OTC ratings still work.  You can link your PGP key to your CoinPal account to receive automated OTC ratings.
Awesome thanks, it doesn't seem to accept coincard transactions but I'm happy to have an otc rating for the bitcoins I bought  Grin

btc address:1MEyKbVbmMVzVxLdLmt4Zf1SZHFgj56aqg
gpg fingerprint:DD1AB28F8043D0837C86A4CA7D6367953C6FE9DC

SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 02, 2011, 04:51:30 PM

3.1 - Sending Limits.
We may, at our discretion, impose limits on the amount of money you can send through our Service. If you have a Verified Account, we may increase your sending limits.

5.5 - Security Interest.
To secure your performance of this Agreement, you grant to Venmo a lien on and security interest in your Account.

6.2 - Withdrawal Limits.
Depending on the degree to which you have Verified your Account, we may limit you to withdrawing no more than $500.00 USD per month. In addition, we may delay withdrawals of large sums of money while we screen for risk.

Venmo might work ok for most as most people don't read User Agreements/Terms. Just click "Ok, I Accept" and proceed. Not uncommon terms though.
Aww, that's a shame.
Satori

Activity: 51

View Profile
May 02, 2011, 05:21:17 PM

Suggestion to mndrix:

Rather than devote yourself to creating one site for everyone in the world, perhaps working on allowing people to create their own, using their own countries' available services, would provide something more robust for people.

If there were a Drupal module for BitCoin, anyone could start a site and the only difficulty would be finding a service that would be tolerant of BitCoin.

The result would be that the effort would become distributed.  Lots of sites where people could use, and purchase, BitCoin.

If the BitCoin community collaboratively funded a BitCoin module for Drupal, it would certainly get written.  All manner of BitCoin services would appear, limited only by the number of users who had approached ATM and card service providers and had arranged something with them.  People would become motivated to approach those services and seek to co-ordinate with them, because the result would be a site they owned that many BitCoin users would use.  Small transaction profits would add up.

For BitCoin users who are unfamiliar with Drupal: It's a free open-source system for developing websites.  Very easy to create them, and you essentially just select modules (like a BitCoin module) and configure them for your site.  No programming skills are needed.  Point and click.

BitCoin users who'd like to contribute to developing such a module will probably find this useful.
dacoinminster
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1031

Rational Exuberance

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2011, 07:29:29 PM

If you are sad you can't buy bitcoins with your paypal account, you can always bid on my ebay auction. See the thread about it here: http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=7072

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: