Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 02:49:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Getting concerned  (Read 1064 times)
marks1976 (OP)

Activity: 893
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 03, 2011, 08:05:02 AM

The more I look through the forums I see people with negative comments and bad wishes.  When I first started looking into this earlier I was so excited about it and seen this as a great thing.  These people have me concerned.  I have seen all kinds of scams and pyramids and the more I read the more I see a resemblance.  Please help me to see the light again.  I have great ideas for this to work.

▄██████
      ▄█▀██████
    ▄█▀  ██████
  ▄█▀    ██████
▄██▄▄▄▄▄▄██████
███████████████
███████████████
███████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
███████
███████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
████████████
███████████████
 ▀█████████████

<█▄▄▄

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █▄▄▄▄

▄▄▄▄▄ █▄▄▄▄▄

│   ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄(▄▄▄
$▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄▄▄, █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ $▄▄▄▄▄▄: ▄▄▄▄▄
│   █
│   │   //█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
│   │   $▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄_▄▄▄(▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄▄▄, █████████▄█████▄███████):
│   │   $▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄($▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ - > ▄▄▄▄▄()) ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄:
│   │   ▄▄ (!$▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄▄▄ !$▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄▄) █
│   │      ▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄
│   │   █

▄███▄        ▄███▄
     ▄███████▄    ▄███████▄
     █████████    █████████
      ███████      ███████
       ▀▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀▀▀
 ▄▄████▄▄▄▄▄█▀ ▄▄████▄▄▄▄████▄▄
█████████▀███ ██████████████████
███████▀  ███ ██████████████████
       ▄█ 
    ▄▄███▄▄▄▄▄▄        █▄
    ▀█████████▀   ▄▄▄▄▄███▄
      ▀██       ▄███████████
        ▀              ███▀
                       ▀

P2P CASH
▄▄▄▄▄▄ Send money worldwide fast ▄▄▄▄▄▄

███████████████████▄
█████████████████████
████           ▀██████
████             ██████
████              █████
████             ▄█████      ▄
████            ▄██████    ▄██
████     ▄▄▄▄▄████████    ▄███
████   ▄████████████▀   ▄█████
████ ▄███████████▀▀   ▄███████
██████████▀         ▄█████████
████████▀  ▄▄███████████▀ ████
██████▀  ▄████████████▀   ████
████▀   ███████▀▀▀▀▀▀     ████
██▀    ██████▀            ████
▀      █████              ████
       █████              ████
       █████▄             ████
       ▀██████▄           ████
        ▀█████████████████████
          ▀███████████████████
  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ safe an easy with P2P ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
P2P is the open source smart
contract platform
fully dedicated to
international money transactions

▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄
  ████████████████
 ██████████████████
▄████▄  ███▄  ▄████▄
█████▄  ███▄  ▄█████
████████████████████
 ▄████  ▄▄▄▄  ████▄

▄      ▄███▄▄
██▄▄▄ ██████▀
████████████
 ██████████▀
   ███████▀
 ▄█████▀▀

▄▄
       ▄▄▄█████
  ▄▄▄███▀▀▄███
▀▀███▀ ▄██████
    █ ███████
     ██▀▀▀███
           ▀▀
███

███
██████████████████████████

JOIN

██████████████████████████
███
  █
  █
  █
  █
  █
███

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2011, 08:08:56 AM

Not to fear. Haters gonna hate.
Trolls gonna troll.
And yes, there are some scams. Just be careful, you'll be fine.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
wumpus

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
July 03, 2011, 08:16:29 AM

This community can be really harsh, and yes you have to think for yourself here. For some people, that's the first time Smiley

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
tc2606

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 03, 2011, 08:35:28 AM

can people do "chargebacks" or anything like that with bitcoins, like in paypal? i was just introduced to bitcoins today, so i'm really new
myrkul

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2011, 08:44:19 AM

That's one of the best - and worst - features of bitcoin. Once it's gone, it's gone.

There are escrow services, though.

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
skottiejay

Activity: 140
Merit: 110

bitcoinnaire

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2011, 03:48:34 AM

Yeah, I was really hoping when I first read about "bitcoins" that I would be able to earn something worthwhile but the more and more I'm getting into this, the more I'm realizing how long it's going to take for me to turn any kind of "profit".

Don't get me wrong I'm still going to do it, but the excitement is wearing off and I've only been doing this a day, not to mention my "rig" isn't primed for this kind of thing at all.

Just my 2 bit-cents, I'm not putting a "huge" amount of stock and time into bit mining.

What else could I say?
myrkul

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2011, 03:51:05 AM

The time for personal mining is long past. It's now time for services and products, if you want Bitcoins.

skottiejay

Activity: 140
Merit: 110

bitcoinnaire

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2011, 04:00:18 AM

The time for personal mining is long past. It's now time for services and products, if you want Bitcoins.

So if I have an app, or a good or something someone might want I could trade for bitcoins? This is the wave now? I feel like I hit this in a really bad time, I just learned about bitmining the day before yesterday. The timing feels off now (granted 17 bucks (i think) for 1 bitcoin is pretty sweet) if only i'd started sooner. (And when I had a better rig)

To me it just seems the incentive to do this wore off pretty quick.

What else could I say?
Etlase2

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 04:03:20 AM

The more I look through the forums I see people with negative comments and bad wishes.  When I first started looking into this earlier I was so excited about it and seen this as a great thing.  These people have me concerned.  I have seen all kinds of scams and pyramids and the more I read the more I see a resemblance.  Please help me to see the light again.  I have great ideas for this to work.

I did some calculations while the network hash was 10.62Thash/s according to bitcoincharts.com. Please note this is now showing as 11.86 in less than a week.

Assumptions: 200Mh/s for an average GPU; 200W of electricity for an average GPU, 100W for a CPU; $0.15/kWh

55,700 miners based on those numbers.
An average miner makes 8 cents an hour at a $15/1BTC exchange rate.
11.14MW to make 300 BTC (1 hour's worth); $1,670 in electricity, or $5.57 per 1 BTC.
First 1.6 million BTC were mined at a difficulty of 1, which requires about 7Mhash/s. This means there were no more than 5-10 people mining (perhaps less) for the first 32,000 blocks.
These people used CPU mining which uses less electricity.

100W*10 people = 1 kWh to create 300 BTC, or $0.0005 per BTC. Going just by the cost of electricity, the cost to make these 1.6 million BTC is 1/11,140th what it would take today.

Between that original 1.6 million and today’s amount of BitCoins [approx. 6.6 million], it is hard to even guess how much electricity cost was used to make a BitCoin on average. But as the next million and a half BTC and more were still mined relatively easily, please allow me make a gross guestimate of a $2/BTC average electricity cost after the first 1.6 million coins. Using this number, we can get an average value per BTC. ((1.6M*0.0005)+(5M*2))/6.6M = $1.52. Today’s rate of $5.57 minus the average rate of $1.52 equals a $4.05 difference in cost to produce. That means for every BTC mined today, $4.05 or 73% of its electric value is equalized across every coin made before it. But as time passes and if the network grows, BitCoins become more scarce and require more work to mine, so those getting in at $5.57 are still, apparently, getting a deal.

A coin that is mined at a cost of $5.57 can be turned around and sold for $17, a 305% return. An original 1.6 million coin can be sold for a 3,400,000% return. Assuming continued network growth and controlled scarcity (less bitcoins given out to more people as time passes; no large sell-offs), these returns will continue to grow. But assuming there are no large sell offs is a huge assumption since it has already happened with 25k coins, and it caused a 65% drop in the value on mtgox.

myrkul

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2011, 04:14:30 AM

You can still get a trickle by joining a pool, but Yeah, unless you're running some serious hardware, don't expect to be printing up money.

Best way is to treat it like any other money, at this point.

xurious

Activity: 413

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 12:25:33 PM

First 1.6 million BTC were mined at a difficulty of 1, which requires about 7Mhash/s.
At first, the code was not nearly as optimized as it is now.
This means there were no more than 5-10 people mining (perhaps less) for the first 32,000 blocks.
I don't have the exact proof, but I highly doubt this.
These people used CPU mining which uses less electricity.
Cpu mining may use less electricity, but it's efficiency is TERRIBLE. As in... My 5870 gets 400mh/s for the (way highside)300 watts it uses. That's 1.33h/w.
My core 2 quad at overclocked to 3.2 must be using something around ~100watts and it gets about 12mh/s. That's 0.12mh/s.

It's not about how much you use, but about the efficiency.

My numbers are somewhat fuzzy, too lazy to look up hard data, but you get my point.

SiaMining.com -- First PPS SiaMining Pool! 3%, VarDiff, Stratum Support
Etlase2

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 02:55:55 PM

First 1.6 million BTC were mined at a difficulty of 1, which requires about 7Mhash/s.
At first, the code was not nearly as optimized as it is now.
I wasn't 100% clear, but I meant it takes about 7Mhash/s to get a block every 10 minutes, which was basically what happened. See the block chain.

I don't have the exact proof, but I highly doubt this.
Highly doubt what? The proof is in the pudding. Processing power has not dramatically changed in the last couple of years. My triple core 3.1GHz hashes about 1.5MH/s and it is almost a year old.

Cpu mining may use less electricity, but it's efficiency is TERRIBLE. As in... My 5870 gets 400mh/s for the (way highside)300 watts it uses. That's 1.33h/w.
My core 2 quad at overclocked to 3.2 must be using something around ~100watts and it gets about 12mh/s. That's 0.12mh/s.

It's not about how much you use, but about the efficiency.

My numbers are somewhat fuzzy, too lazy to look up hard data, but you get my point.
Yeah 12mh/s equaling 0.12mh/s is definitely a bit fuzzy.

RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 06:38:31 PM

Conceder that all the problems you listed are true of the cash in your pocket. And consider that BTC was never ment to get someone rich, it's an alternate currency for buying and selling on the Internet. That's all.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
V4Vendettas

Activity: 294

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 06:56:44 PM

Should go play eve-online as some basic training and as they would say HTFU.

This is meant in a friendly way bud please don’t take it any other way.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: