Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 03:51:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Custom Case Design for Bitfury Hboard/Mboard Miners  (Read 22042 times)
Foofighter (OP)

Activity: 882
Merit: 547

BTC Mining Hardware, Trading and more

View Profile
July 13, 2013, 08:42:18 PM
Last edit: September 07, 2013, 03:52:52 PM by Foofighter

Hey guys,

at the beginning of this week I made the firsts thoughts about "how could a bitfury custom casing look like", so I started and made some thoughts and also compared other proofen designs. Also the Bitfury developers/ Alpha testers, namely intron and cscape helped me alot with the specs of the board and dimensions, I also should get blank pcs of the boards shortly from cscape to check if the prototype housing fits nicely. (there is no prototype yet)
My goal is here to make a good housing design, which fulfills the most needed requirements for everybody.

See attached my first design, this is an open housing attempt with the measurements of 200x200x600mm, enough space for 3 120mm Fans, a PSU and the Raspi. Also a female RJ 45 network connector is assambled on the housing and will be internaly connected to the raspi. Such a connector looks much better as when the raspi is directly connected to the outside with a cable, also its safer to do it this way and it works as cord grip.

################################################################################################################################################

Open Casing Design:
Features:
#space for up to 3 - 120mm Fans
#space for PSU and Raspberry PI
#safely transportable
#every H-boards is secured with a mounting plate
#only standard H-Boards and M- Boards from Bitfury are fitting

Pictures pof the open case design:

3D pictures
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=255737.msg2724291#msg2724291
Manufaturer pictures:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=255737.msg2981262#msg2981262
Finished and assambled case pictures:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=255737.msg3075351#msg3075351

################################################################################################################################################
Rack Casing Design:
Features:
#space for up to 5 - 120mm Fans
#space for PSU and Raspberry PI
#fits in server housings
#every H-boards is secured with a mounting plate
#only standard H-Boards and M- Boards from Bitfury are fitting
#Size is 19" - 4HE - lengh is 350mm
here is the Rack housing design, Cover will come a bit later.

Pictures pof the Rack case design:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=255737.msg2726434#msg2726434

Hey folks,

Regarding the open case design:

Lately i put a lot of time into this project and spend nearly every evening in planning and getting offers from companies and calulating stuff, sourcing parts and so on. Finally i can tell you now that all parts which will be included in the prototype run are ordered and a few have also just arived at my place.
So just to let you know what will be included, that will be all necessary parts to mount the full 16 Hboard in 1 mboard, all screws and mounting standoffs, gpio cable, power cable for raspi to molex, rubber feets, fan grill and wire straps for cable management, basicly like the picture in the thread but without hardware Wink. Unfortunatly i cannot provide the 3 - 120mm Fans for the cases, just couldnt find a proper source for getting a good price at these, maybe i could provide 1 fan per housing as a bonus but lets see about that.

To come straight to the point, the price for an open case prototype will be 145 EUR without shipping.(Iam located in Europe, Austria, Vienna -- to calculate your shipping)
I will charge the casing price now and the shipping price before delivery if you are interested in purchasing one, please take into account that the case is quite big and the shipping costs could also be a bit expensive. (shipping box size estimated 700x300x250mm - weight is estimated to be 3,5-5kg with all accessories).

Accepted payments are:
bank transfer
paypal
BTC

Shipping cost estimations: (insuranced shipping and trackable)
Austria: 10 EUR
Europe: 20-30 EUR
USA Mainland: 40 EUR[/b]

Outgoing Lead time:estimated for week 1 or 2 of September Sad
Unfortunatly this is very much depending on the sheet metal manufacturer, but there is only a small change to deliver these units still in august.

I hope this works out and you will continue to support me with making an order for a case.

If you got any question dont hesitate to ask.

Currently i have 8 cases left to offer

Please note this is no commercial sale, this is my private prototype run and Iam willing to produce a few more for the community here, but I cannot give you any guarantees or warrantys on the product.

BR
Foofighter

##################
News from 07.08.2013
Hey guys,

some News here regarding the purchaseable open cases.

Iam very happy to annouce that I can reduce the price for each open case to: 145 EUR

Today I discussed the whole project with a manufacturer who could do all necessary steps of manufaturing on his own to finish the cases at very competitive prices.

Before that the price was based of raw case which i had to transport to a welder and then painted the cases, so as you could imagine that would have been a lot of additional work compared to the current solution.
I gave the whole saving directly to you, so you have a more competitive price for a good product.

So i hope now with this price the cases are getting sold a bit faster.

regards
Tom

ex official Canaan Distributor (Cryptouniverse)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
minternj

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 13, 2013, 08:45:32 PM

Would probably make sense to make them stackable vertically. Also im sure you'd get some interest if you make it rack mountable, just move the tabs to the sides.

Warning about Nitrogensports.eu
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=709114.0
SebastianJu
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2013, 08:53:55 PM

Didnt you miss the heatsinks?

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.
dracore

Activity: 111
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 13, 2013, 08:57:14 PM

Not much airflow passing across the cards -- especially if they are all seated perpendicular to the case.  Are you planning to make slits in the case wall to let air in/out?
Swimmer63
Legendary

Activity: 1593
Merit: 1004

View Profile
July 13, 2013, 09:06:12 PM

Not much airflow passing across the cards -- especially if they are all seated perpendicular to the case.  Are you planning to make slits in the case wall to let air in/out?

Unless I'm misunderstanding, sound like the side and top will remain open to the air. Is this correct?
So the graphics show the case exactly as it will look?
minternj

View Profile
July 13, 2013, 09:07:16 PM

I think he was pretty clear. He calls it open case design, the top and back are wide open.

Foofighter (OP)

View Profile
July 13, 2013, 09:09:46 PM

there are no heatsinks, as far as i know

Foofighter (OP)

View Profile
July 13, 2013, 09:12:05 PM

Would probably make sense to make them stackable vertically. Also im sure you'd get some interest if you make it rack mountable, just move the tabs to the sides.

yeah, but the current master board defines doesnt allow another alignment.

What do you mean with the tabs to the sides? please explain more in detail

minternj

View Profile
July 13, 2013, 09:15:06 PM

Like this.

http://media.digikey.com/photos/Vector%20Photos/CCA220-3U.jpg

minternj

View Profile
July 13, 2013, 09:17:41 PM

i wasn't referring to the hash boards, i meant make your case stackable if you have multiple cases.

Foofighter (OP)

View Profile
July 13, 2013, 09:17:49 PM

I think he was pretty clear. He calls it open case design, the top and back are wide open.

Yes, as stated this will be an open design, have to check the costs with manufacturers but this could probly be a low budget version of housing.

When making a closed design i would have to add another 3 fans on the opposide and make the housing slithly more wide. Have already thought about it, if i make a closed housing also the open housing will get wider because i wouldnt wanna use too many different parts, as the lot size hardly changes the pricing of manufacture. The 3 additional fans could be placed inside of the housing cover.

Foofighter (OP)

View Profile
July 13, 2013, 09:21:39 PM

i wasn't referring to the hash boards, i meant make your case stackable if you have multiple cases.

i dont see the point in this proposal, why would you stack these housing, just use a storage rack, i think this would be pretty much unlikly to happen. Have seen many pictures of mining farms and all miners were side by side in storage racks.

SebastianJu
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2013, 09:28:49 PM

How can this be? If they dont get hot they arent clocked high enough for sure. All other chips need heatsinks too, why not this one? Would safe space for sure but it sounds strange to me.

Foofighter (OP)

View Profile
July 13, 2013, 09:36:47 PM

How can this be? If they dont get hot they arent clocked high enough for sure. All other chips need heatsinks too, why not this one? Would safe space for sure but it sounds strange to me.

not quite sure, just what one of the alpha testers told me, havend reached punin in this matter to get an official statement.

But yes they are running on very low clock, just doing 1,55GH per chip if i remind it right.

SebastianJu
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2013, 09:38:51 PM

not quite sure, just what one of the alpha testers told me, havend reached punin in this matter to get an official statement.

But yes they are running on very low clock, just doing 1,55GH per chip if i remind it right.

It would be really interesting how much overclocking potential they have then. I mean the space for a heatsink wouldnt matter when you could get a reasonable higher hashrate for nearly the same price.

Felipeo

Activity: 476
Merit: 262

EOSABC

View Profile
July 13, 2013, 09:40:34 PM

According to https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=228677.0 [Test threat]

~ 2.7 GH/sec @ 0.8W/GH temp below 50 C degree Smiley

◆Telegram  ♠️ ♣️ ♥️ ♦️    www.eosabc.io   ♦️ ♣️ ♥️ ♠️  ◆Whitepaper
♠️   EOSABC redefine games with blockchain   ♠️
♥️  Win EOS on eosabc.io Everyday    ♥️
Foofighter (OP)

View Profile
July 13, 2013, 09:42:14 PM

According to https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=228677.0 [Test threat]

~ 2.7 GH/sec @ 0.8W/GH temp below 50 C degree Smiley

the clock i mentioned is right, they are using 16 chips each board and make 25gh.

This was just a test value, but higher clock means also more heat and more power usage.

Foofighter (OP)

View Profile
July 13, 2013, 09:44:07 PM

It would be really interesting how much overclocking potential they have then. I mean the space for a heatsink wouldnt matter when you could get a reasonable higher hashrate for nearly the same price.

I recall that someone mentioned that Ocing capabilities will be limited because the power related parts have not so much free space for higher clocks or somthing, and only if you solder the right parts out and change them you are free to OC the chips as you like. But not sure here too, just red it somewhere(limited ocing should be possible)

Felipeo

EOSABC

View Profile
July 13, 2013, 09:46:34 PM

Yes Foofighter you write final right clock value, and I posted tested value and temp for it...

There was mentioned that for higher hashrate they will need some higher cost on board hardware, all is in that thread Wink

♥️  Win EOS on eosabc.io Everyday    ♥️
Felipeo

EOSABC

View Profile
July 13, 2013, 09:48:11 PM

BTW case looks very nice Smiley