Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 07:37:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Custom Case Design for Bitfury Hboard/Mboard Miners  (Read 22042 times)
darkfriend77

Activity: 434
Merit: 265

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2013, 09:51:03 PM

... looks great ... good work ...

-:| www.DOTMog.com |:-

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bkpduke

Activity: 158
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2013, 09:51:25 PM

Something mountable in a standard 19-inch server rack would be preferred.

With standard airflow principle (front=INTAKE , rear=EXHAUST).

Based upon the height of the H-boards, this should be doable in a 3U height chassis design.
minternj

Merit: 250

View Profile
July 13, 2013, 09:51:29 PM

Would probably make sense to make them stackable vertically. Also im sure you'd get some interest if you make it rack mountable, just move the tabs to the sides.

yeah, but the current master board defines doesnt allow another alignment.

What do you mean with the tabs to the sides? please explain more in detail

i wasn't referring to the hash boards, i meant make your case stackable if you have multiple cases.

i dont see the point in this proposal, why would you stack these housing, just use a storage rack, i think this would be pretty much unlikly to happen. Have seen many pictures of mining farms and all miners were side by side in storage racks.

Space considerations, if you were putting them in a datacenter, density is key.

Warning about Nitrogensports.eu
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=709114.0
Foofighter (OP)

Activity: 882
Merit: 547

BTC Mining Hardware, Trading and more

View Profile
July 13, 2013, 10:02:10 PM
Last edit: August 04, 2013, 09:11:43 AM by Foofighter

Something mountable in a standard 19-inch server rack would be preferred.

With standard airflow principle (front=INTAKE , rear=EXHAUST).

Based upon the height of the H-boards, this should be doable in a 3U height chassis design.

k, have to look into that, have no experience so far with server housings but i think the dimensions are standardized?
################################################################################################################################################
################################################################################################################################################
Overview Frontside

Overview Backside

Topview:

Overview Bottom:

PSU, Raspi and RJ45 connector placement:

secured cards:

ex official Canaan Distributor (Cryptouniverse)
minternj

View Profile
July 13, 2013, 10:05:10 PM

Yes, rack unit is standardized. Im thinking you would probably build a case for regular users and a bracket for users who want to rack mount it pretty easily.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rack_unit

Warning about Nitrogensports.eu
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=709114.0
bkpduke

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2013, 10:06:51 PM

Yes, rack unit is standardized. Im thinking you would probably build a case for regular users and a bracket for users who want to rack mount it pretty easily.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rack_unit

Yep.  When designing it, please remember that any good datacenter is designed with COLD air coming into the front of the rack, and then your EXHAUST goes out the back (not the side or top/bottom).
cet

Activity: 100
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 13, 2013, 10:13:01 PM

It looks pretty nice.  Is the rPI fastened down somehow?  How about clips for the fan wiring?  Is h-board plug 0 on the rPI side?  What’s the reason for the lip on the top facing outward?  If that lip faced inwards then it looks like the cases could be stacked on top of another.  Why do you have an RJ45 plug on the top rather than just routing the Ethernet cable to the rPI directly?  I figure that would be one of the advantages of having an open case.

And most important…  Any estimate on how much a case like that would cost?

/cet
tytus

Activity: 250

View Profile
July 13, 2013, 10:55:44 PM

The original idea was to position the RasPI like this: http://imgur.com/TegDpOQ but we have problems to get connectors that are high enough above the board. To operate the board we rotated the connector and connected RasPI in an awkward way (http://imgur.com/jV1iis9). We will fix this later but even if You decide to use cables it would be better to reserve more space in front of the M-board for the RasPI.

=> put the fans on the opposite side.
Pinwheel

Activity: 378

View Profile
July 14, 2013, 03:54:41 AM

Didnt you miss the heatsinks?

chip surface temp from Bitcentury test was 80C and rising, to have heatsink would be not bad idea. It may happen that we will have to run it on risers and fix heat sinks ourselves. Maybe for Russia and Ukraine with its cold climate, no heat sinks is OK, but not for India or other countries with hot climate. Here in India room temperature can easy be 30C all year around.

Tom Waits: We should just start as soon as possible cause we might catch a rabbit before we have our pants on. (Juxtapoz)
allinvain
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 1080

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2013, 05:22:25 AM

Do you have any idea when you'll have a finalized design? Also how much would you sell each case for?

madsusies

Activity: 428

BitcoinEvo [$XBTE]

View Profile
July 14, 2013, 06:03:10 AM

Do you have any idea when you'll have a finalized design? Also how much would you sell each case for?

Cheesy LOL Pre-orders for empty booth, the FooFighter should get in touch with Josh. He got 8 months skills in making empty booths, o Gosh that would be bisnis selling small jala cases as ashtrays Smiley

▬▬ • • •  BITCOINEVO $XBTE FREE AIRDROP LIVE NOW   • • • ▬▬
▌▌  Secure, decentralised & distributed cryptocurrency with sidechain technology*, on-chain dapps support*, xPoS and zero-proof anonymous transactions*.  ▐▐
Foofighter (OP)

View Profile
July 14, 2013, 07:13:20 AM

It looks pretty nice.  Is the rPI fastened down somehow?  How about clips for the fan wiring?  Is h-board plug 0 on the rPI side?  What’s the reason for the lip on the top facing outward?  If that lip faced inwards then it looks like the cases could be stacked on top of another.  Why do you have an RJ45 plug on the top rather than just routing the Ethernet cable to the rPI directly?  I figure that would be one of the advantages of having an open case.

And most important…  Any estimate on how much a case like that would cost?

/cet

rpi hast no mounting so far atm, will propably add mounting holes and put in standoff spacers like with the mboard, Yes plug 0 is on the rPI side.

The reason for the lip is for easier transportation.

Is anybody really going to stack these housings?

RJ45 plug is mostly for cord grip reasons and in my opinion it looks better this way.

The reason for an open housing are as mentioned cost reasons, because i think the sheet metal could get really expansive.

No costing estimations so far, I will implement the wishes and changes you suggest and should latest by the end of the weeks send out the drawings to sheet metal manufacturers. So i could probably get an offer in week 29.

regards

Foofighter (OP)

View Profile
July 14, 2013, 07:19:12 AM

I will take suggestions the whole coming week and implement them und then the design should be final.

The idea was that i would talk to some reseller( like punin or buzzdave), and he would sell the housings, my intention was essentialy to make only the design, but i think i will also make prototypes of it.

Foofighter (OP)

View Profile
July 14, 2013, 07:26:37 AM
Last edit: August 04, 2013, 09:13:12 AM by Foofighter

The original idea was to position the RasPI like this: http://imgur.com/TegDpOQ but we have problems to get connectors that are high enough above the board. To operate the board we rotated the connector and connected RasPI in an awkward way (http://imgur.com/jV1iis9). We will fix this later but even if You decide to use cables it would be better to reserve more space in front of the M-board for the RasPI.

=> put the fans on the opposite side.

Hey,

current distance from mboard to PSU is about 132mm, the rPI in the design has the measurments with rPI housing. Do you think 132 is enough?

Why put the fans on opposite side?

regards

cimpex

Activity: 588
Merit: 252

View Profile
July 14, 2013, 07:30:42 PM

I would really suggest to make a rack mountable case. Anyone who wants to stack them should buy a 19" rack.
There are small ones available too, like this 7HE.

I think the easiest way is to start building the case with something like that (already posted above):
Just get a front and bottom plate and you are done. Cheap and perfect for racks.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
         █████████████████████████▄   
       ███████                 ██████
     ██████                      ██████
    █████      ███████████▄        ████
   ████      █████████████▀         ████
  ████      █████            ██      ████
 █████     ████     ▄▄▄      ███     ████
 █████     ████   ███████   ████
 ████      ████   ███████   ████
 ████      ████   ██████    ████      ███
  ████     █████   ▀▀▀▀     ████     ████
  ████      █████            ██      ████
   ████      █████████████▄         ████
    █████      ███████████▀        ████
     ██████                       ████
       ██████
         ██████████████████████▄
             ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
SKYFchain
█▀▀▀▀▀▀█
█  ▄██
██▀  █
█  ▄██
██▀  █
█  ▄██
██▀  █
█  ▄██
██▀  █
█      █
█▄▄▄▄▄▄█

█▀▀▀▀▀▀█
█  ▄██
██▀  █
█  ▄██
██▀  █
█  ▄██
██▀  █
█  ▄██
██▀  █
█      █
█▄▄▄▄▄▄█
Foofighter (OP)

View Profile
July 14, 2013, 07:51:36 PM
Last edit: July 14, 2013, 08:16:38 PM by Foofighter

Hey guys,

here is the Rack housing design, Cover will come a bit later.
19" - 4HE - lengh is 350mm

Iam open for your feedback.

One problem that came up, is that the standoffs for the M-board are to long and they stickout by 5mm on the ground of the casing. So i just reduced the height of the casing by 5mm because this seemed easier then making a second higher floor inside the housing(+ cheaper).

But is that a problem at mounting? Does the mounting rack lie on a guidance or something or is it only mounted and holded by the lashes on the sides of the casing?
Also I noticed there is a moveable gudance system für rack units, and a few racks on the market provide pre bored mounting holes for this matter, but I dont know the distances and hole dimensions and cant find any infos on that matter. Is this a must to have these holes at the sites of the housing?

regards

allinvain
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2013, 10:46:11 PM

This may seem paranoid, but I would suggest removing the "Bitfury 400GH Miner" marking from the case. If you're going to host this with a third party then you may not want to advertise to the world its intended function/purpose.

bkpduke

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2013, 12:40:31 AM

Hey guys,

here is the Rack housing design, Cover will come a bit later.
19" - 4HE - lengh is 350mm

Iam open for your feedback.

One problem that came up, is that the standoffs for the M-board are to long and they stickout by 5mm on the ground of the casing. So i just reduced the height of the casing by 5mm because this seemed easier then making a second higher floor inside the housing(+ cheaper).

But is that a problem at mounting? Does the mounting rack lie on a guidance or something or is it only mounted and holded by the lashes on the sides of the casing?
Also I noticed there is a moveable gudance system für rack units, and a few racks on the market provide pre bored mounting holes for this matter, but I dont know the distances and hole dimensions and cant find any infos on that matter. Is this a must to have these holes at the sites of the housing?

regards

Is that design 3U or 4U high?  In a datacenter every U costs you money ($50-100/mo per U for a GOOD datacenter with on-site security, etc.).

The holes in the rack are of standard spacing as well (3 per 1U), so you will need to make sure those line up on your chassis design.

I would also recommend that if you have 3 intake fans, that you have 3 exhaust fans as well.  Otherwise those cards on the end without an exhaust fan behind them will have higher average temperatures.  For now this doesn't matter, but if Bitfury enables overclocking on these boards for higher GH/s rates, this will become more important.

Thanks for the work, your design is coming along nicely.
allinvain
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2013, 01:50:55 AM

Overclocking on these boards cannot simply be "enabled" There is no magical toggle or switch. You have to physically modify the boards. Future revisions may have overclocking capability but as far as I'm aware the first batch will not be overclockable.

buzzdave
VIP

Activity: 472

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2013, 08:08:20 AM

Overclocking on these boards cannot simply be "enabled" There is no magical toggle or switch. You have to physically modify the boards. Future revisions may have overclocking capability but as far as I'm aware the first batch will not be overclockable.

True.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: