Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 07:34:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: a pseudo TAN that doesn't affect the block chain but grants pretty good security  (Read 1373 times)
giszmo (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2011, 12:15:19 PM

what if i could print out the first n digits of my private keys and those digits get removed from my wallet? wouldn't that be kind of a tan? so if i want to send from address 5 i would need that remainder that i decided to move to dead wood.
* the modification to the client would be minimalistic
* the block chain would be unaffected
* user could decide on the tan length. that would be his level of security vs. effort to use it trade off.
* user would need to type in as many tans as sending addresses there are involved
* the user could decide to put stronger tans on receiving addresses than on pocket money addresses.

downside compared to tans as we know them:
* a trojan on the pc would be able to take over the transactions being done and change both amount and target once it has the tan. some eTAN procedures claim to inhibit that by hashing target and amount.
* a trojan on the pc would not only be able to take over the transactions being done but any further transaction from the same addresses.

thoughts?

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
giszmo (OP)
Legendary

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2011, 12:20:29 PM

forgot to mention one big benefit:
no strong passwords that can be forgotten.

slight down side:
a wallet stealer would still find out my balance.

WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
X68N

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 03, 2011, 02:48:54 PM

LOL, i had the idea before.
Didnt you see it, just come here to dicuss it on the main thread
http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=23476.0

YOBIT IS SCAM , YOBIT IS SCAM , YOBIT IS SCAM meine Steuerdatei:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=612741.msg19244732#msg19244732
Theo

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 03, 2011, 03:02:38 PM

It's not a TAN because it isn't unique for one transaction. It's a way of keeping the private key private by not storing it on your computer. It's a good idea if you manage to keep the printed keys in a secure place.
X68N

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 03, 2011, 03:09:56 PM

Yes this is a good idea, and a similar idea i posted on the other thread.
maybe you could read my last post there so i did not rewrite it here.

I think also like you that it should be done something like a TAN to improve the secuity,
but a lot of people just think about how a improvement NOT work.
Instead they dont try to help by saying HOW IT WORKS to prevent an attack...
a lot of negative people, just read my thread to get an idea what i am talking about :-)

YOBIT IS SCAM , YOBIT IS SCAM , YOBIT IS SCAM meine Steuerdatei:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=612741.msg19244732#msg19244732
Pieter Wuille
Legendary
qt

Activity: 1072
Merit: 1174

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2011, 03:14:24 PM

If you just drop a few digits from the private keys, it's trivial to crack, as an exhaustive search will retrieve them easily from a leaked wallet.dat file.

If you drop a lot of digits from the private keys, it's not better than a passphrase-encrypted wallet (as will be supported by 0.4.0), and a whole lot less user-friendly.

I do Bitcoin stuff.
giszmo (OP)
Legendary

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2011, 04:37:31 PM

LOL, i had the idea before.
Didnt you see it, just come here to dicuss it on the main thread
http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=23476.0

I saw it, was about to comment but thought my concept with its benefits is too far off your idea so I decided to do a new thread. My idea involves no modification on the network layer, no obscure security with mouse coordinates, etc.

If you just drop a few digits from the private keys, it's trivial to crack, as an exhaustive search will retrieve them easily from a leaked wallet.dat file.

If you drop a lot of digits from the private keys, it's not better than a passphrase-encrypted wallet (as will be supported by 0.4.0), and a whole lot less user-friendly.

As described in the OP the user could decide how many digits to use. I think it is a pain to handle several wallet files today but improvements there would at least allow me to have small wallets with a password I can remember and big wallets with a password i keep in a save. else having to type in "the" password would expose all my wallet to the attacker's trojan.

I'm curious how the new client will turn out to be but I doubt that I will feel any saver opening my big wallets with it than I feel now.

Lastly both concepts could be combined.

ɃɃ
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12972

View Profile
July 03, 2011, 06:45:29 PM

It would take less than a second to find the code, since all of the used Bitcoin addresses are known. You could just search Bitcoin Block Explorer for the known part.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
giszmo (OP)
Legendary

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2011, 06:52:18 PM

It would take less than a second to find the code, since all of the used Bitcoin addresses are known. You could just search Bitcoin Block Explorer for the known part.

didn't know the bitexplorer knows the privat keys Sad

ɃɃ
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12972

View Profile
July 03, 2011, 07:01:11 PM

Oh, I missed that you were using private keys. Never mind that, then.

Given all but a few bytes of an ECDSA private key, I would not be surprised if there was some way of getting the remaining bytes without a full brute-force.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: