Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 09:28:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New - monitoring what is happening in the command line?  (Read 209 times)
minerwoes (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 10, 2017, 09:23:02 PM

I’m new to mining, or running algorithms...whichever you prefer. I was using NiceHash because the barrier to entry was so low. I have 3 1080 Ti’s that I use for 3D rendering. However, when I’m not utilizing them I would just let them do their thing using NiceHash.

Well, after the entire debacle that took place recently - I went through the gamut of trying to find something that will just passively do it’s thing. I settled on (I think it’s ccminer) but I’m using this: https://github.com/Sniffdog/Sniffdogminer.

It’s running, I have it pointed to my wallet. What I can’t figure out, and spent the entire weekend looking - is if there is a way to monitor what is happening in a GUI? I thought(think that this is what awesomeminer does) but I keep getting lost in technical wording. It seems like every question I have is answered by another question.

I don’t mind doing the work, I just am so buried in confusion that I keep getting nowhere. Because I use my machine for work. The thing that was nice was that while working and not rendering, I would only utilize 2 graphics cards and then at night or downtime I would use my cpu and 3rd card - but that was through NiceHash.

So my long winded question is if there is something out there that lets me monitor what my machine is doing through a GUI and perhaps allows me to utilize selected cards depending on availability. I tried searching high and low for a guide/similar thing but have come up empty.

Honestly, any and all help is greatly appreciated.
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
puwaha

Activity: 700
Merit: 294

View Profile
December 11, 2017, 02:40:46 AM

Well, as you mentioned, Awesome Miner will do it for you... or you can just login to the pools that you mine to to check up on things.
minerwoes (OP)

View Profile
December 11, 2017, 02:54:18 AM

Well that's good that at least I know that Awesome Miner will do it for me. The problem I have now is setting it up. Like right now, I've had that miner running for most of the day. In Awesome Miner (if you know at all?) do I setup a new miner? Is it a miner or is it setting up a monitor for the miner that is running?

I apologize if I'm making no sense. It's just the part I can't seem to get an answer to. For instance, I am mining from 4 pools - I'm assuming, because in the folder there are only 4 pools listed as .ps1 files. Do I just create a new miner and a new pool for each one listed?

Also, thank you for your answer, just trying to find out if Awesome Miner did that was a big task.
puwaha

Activity: 700
Merit: 294

View Profile
December 11, 2017, 03:44:23 AM

Well that's good that at least I know that Awesome Miner will do it for me. The problem I have now is setting it up. Like right now, I've had that miner running for most of the day. In Awesome Miner (if you know at all?) do I setup a new miner? Is it a miner or is it setting up a monitor for the miner that is running?

I apologize if I'm making no sense. It's just the part I can't seem to get an answer to. For instance, I am mining from 4 pools - I'm assuming, because in the folder there are only 4 pools listed as .ps1 files. Do I just create a new miner and a new pool for each one listed?

Also, thank you for your answer, just trying to find out if Awesome Miner did that was a big task.

Awesome Miner is very flexible.  You can use the free version for two "miners".  What are "miners"... well, they can be external miners, which is what you would use for an ASIC or a non-windows based rig.  Or they can be managed miners, which is where you run the agent on a remote computer (or just run AM on the rig itself).  Then you have a profit miner, which again depends on the agent or the local install of AM.  The managed miner and the profit miner are highly configurable abstractions that allow you assign concepts such as pools, pool groups, online services (like zpool, miningpoolhub, etc.), hosts, managed software and more.

It's kind of like software-defined mining... in the same vein as software-defined networking or virtualizing operating systems.  The pieces that you need to mine something are software-defined, and you then piece together these objects to do what you want.

If you wanted to do something simple, like mine a single coin, then you setup the pool.  Then you setup a host, where the host is a single computer.  You then setup a managed miner, which brings those pieces together.  There are a lot of the most popular mining software baked into AM, and you also tell the managed miner what software to use.  The manage miner runs the pool and the software on the host.  The reason why a managed miner is a different concept than just the host, is because the host can run multiple managed miners.  For instance, you can run a GPU-based mining software like Claymore's for your GPUs, and then a CPU-based mining software on your CPU.  You can also split GPUs on the same host, so if you had 3 AMD cards, and 3 nVidia cards in the same rig, you could run 3 managed miners on the same host.

You can get very complex, or very simple with these setups, and with the profit-miner, you add a new wrinkle.  For instance, if you wanted to mine all the pools at Suprnova, you would setup each pool, and then group them in a pool group.  Then activate the Custom Pool option for profit mining, then the profit miner will use the pool group and statistics from Whattomine to choose the most profitable coin, select the appropriate mining software for that algo, point the profit miner to that pool, and mine away... all automatically.  It will check every X number of minutes that you tell it to to check to see if that coin is still the most profitable, and change when necessary.

When you use services like zpool, hashrefinery, or miningpoolhub, all of those pools are already built in, and if activated will use those services in addition to the pool group you setup to mine the best coin, or service that gives you the most profit.

If you don't like the built in software, then you have the option to upload your own, and define it as "managed software".

It all may sound complicated, but it's meant to allow you to use these various pieces to let you build a "mining rig" to do exactly what you want.

You can join us at the AM thread, there are lots of questions, but lots of good experience to help you with AM.  The developer is very active and will usually take improvements and turn them around in new versions very quickly.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=676942.0
minerwoes (OP)

View Profile
December 11, 2017, 01:22:11 PM

Thank you so much for this explanation. I had to read it a few times to kind of get it - I can't say it all makes sense at the moment, but that's also because I have no experience with any of it. I definitely will head over to the AM thread. Right now I've just changed everything to my Coinbase wallet address if it said to point it there, started a .bat file, and then hoped for the best. It would be nice to actually understand what is going on. Thanks!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: