Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 10:01:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Split this forum up?  (Read 621 times)
tlr (OP)

Activity: 86
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 14, 2013, 07:57:19 PM

Any chance we could split this forum into two forums, one for alt-coins that simply tweak existing coins, and one for new cryptocurrencies that are actually innovative in some way?
emerefer

Activity: 338
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 14, 2013, 08:00:14 PM

no
vinne81

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 14, 2013, 08:00:39 PM

Any chance we could split this forum into two forums, one for alt-coins that simply tweak existing coins, and one for new cryptocurrencies that are actually innovative in some way?

Lol and who decides what coin falls into what category. These days, a slightly smaller premine than the previous coin is an "innovation"!
illpoet

Activity: 341
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 14, 2013, 08:01:31 PM

if you went that route thered be like 200+ child boards. best to just leave it one big fat forum and let the market decide which threads about which coins are interesting enough to keep at the top.

Tym's Get Rich Slow scheme: plse send .00001 to
btc: 1DKRaNUnMQkeby6Dk1d8e6fRczSrTEhd8p ltc: LV4Udu7x9aLs28MoMCzsvVGKJbSmrHESnt
thank you.
pyra-proxy

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 14, 2013, 08:08:22 PM

Definition of small tweak is very subjective.... many think LTC is a small tweak on BTC (i.e. in kind hash algo swap, block times, block reward) yet many also think these make it fundamentally unique.  Some of the alts provided significant differences but are still disregarded by some for various reasons and often argued as being near clones, PPC and FRC come to mind.

My recommendation is to ignore coins that you think stand no chance and then ignore those remaining that offer no valuable improvements/innovations, by community boycott of the knock-offs they will die and encourage only the serious authors/developers to go back to the drawing board and see what they can make better.

tlr (OP)

Activity: 86

View Profile
July 14, 2013, 08:23:27 PM

Definition of small tweak is very subjective.... many think LTC is a small tweak on BTC (i.e. in kind hash algo swap, block times, block reward) yet many also think these make it fundamentally unique.  Some of the alts provided significant differences but are still disregarded by some for various reasons and often argued as being near clones, PPC and FRC come to mind.

My recommendation is to ignore coins that you think stand no chance and then ignore those remaining that offer no valuable improvements/innovations, by community boycott of the knock-offs they will die and encourage only the serious authors/developers to go back to the drawing board and see what they can make better.

For the purposes of this forum the bar should be low enough to include all of the ones you mentioned. Significantly different POW like Litecoin's Scrypt, PPC's proof-of-stake vs existing coin's POW, and FRC's demurrage are all "innovative" or at least "different" enough to be interesting.

Tweaking a couple parameters like total coins, block target, block reward/schedule, starting difficulty, or premine size is not particularly interesting and most of the time appear to be pump-and-dump schemes. The signal-to-noise ratio in this forum is seriously low.
vehementchrome

Activity: 68

View Profile
July 14, 2013, 08:24:40 PM

There do appear to be a lot of new coins, but I'm not sure the distinction really warrants another category. It'd probably be difficult anyway, because as to what point will they be considered not new, or that additional category for new coins would be miniscule in size.

But new coins with innovation..? That would be an even smaller pool than just new coins in general. :/

Devtome | Spelunky Guide
BTC: 1FPKfkTUTBir2rnBnWhjPdzGrcerz11P4R
DVC: 17WNPSjjBxQF7gkQiFNe1yoZ1DaSgztM7K
pyra-proxy

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 14, 2013, 08:33:19 PM

I'd be open to and even suggest a "developers" board where once a coin reaches a certain age and ?measurable adoption rate? the developer is allowed to post in for their coins/create new posts/lock topics etc. and the general populace can only reply to boards their respective developers leave unlocked, so that hopefully developer announcements are not lost in the noise.

All others start out in the general board until the vetting time has finished and theyve shown to have some level of longevity.

A lot of the uninnovative clones will be lost here and since the board will loose some of the most critical mass of people that watch specific key alts (such as LTC) then new coin makers will be forced to make something worth grabbing the remaining audiences attention in order to survive.... (at least one hopes....)

vehementchrome

Activity: 68

View Profile
July 14, 2013, 10:09:18 PM

I'd be open to and even suggest a "developers" board where once a coin reaches a certain age and ?measurable adoption rate? the developer is allowed to post in for their coins/create new posts/lock topics etc. and the general populace can only reply to boards their respective developers leave unlocked, so that hopefully developer announcements are not lost in the noise.

All others start out in the general board until the vetting time has finished and theyve shown to have some level of longevity.

A lot of the uninnovative clones will be lost here and since the board will loose some of the most critical mass of people that watch specific key alts (such as LTC) then new coin makers will be forced to make something worth grabbing the remaining audiences attention in order to survive.... (at least one hopes....)
Hmm, this does sound like a good idea. I didn't really think my opinion on this matter would be changed oddly enough, but your idea would seem effective.

Devtome | Spelunky Guide
BTC: 1FPKfkTUTBir2rnBnWhjPdzGrcerz11P4R
DVC: 17WNPSjjBxQF7gkQiFNe1yoZ1DaSgztM7K
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1255

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
July 14, 2013, 10:15:08 PM

No

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
digitalindustry

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

‘Try to be nice’

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2013, 10:19:08 PM

honestly i think it works just fine.

- Twitter @Kolin_Quark
AgentME

Activity: 84

View Profile
July 14, 2013, 11:09:52 PM

I don't think there are enough innovative altcoins to warrant it here. The innovative ones have their own forums too anyway.
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3260

View Profile
July 14, 2013, 11:23:44 PM

I think the best solution is for a new coin to start its own board. That way posts are not diluted by other alt-coins.  For example, Litecoin has its own board here: https://forum.litecoin.net

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: