Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 09:41:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Temporary Ban for Press Guideline Violators  (Read 2703 times)
kiba (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
July 15, 2013, 12:44:05 AM

I believe I should be given the power to temporary ban people for 3 days for not following guideline, especially after not fixing their shit after I give a nasty reply and a nasty PM.

Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
bitfair

Activity: 362
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 15, 2013, 02:25:58 AM

I believe I should be given the power to temporary ban people for 3 days for not following guideline, especially after not fixing their shit after I give a nasty reply and a nasty PM.

Hear, hear! +1

kiba, I consider myself your biggest fan, and I fully support your war on the chaos and disorganization that those scumbags bring to the press section!

Where do I vote? [kiba 4 prezdent!]
Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
July 15, 2013, 04:02:29 AM

Try being friendly in your PMs letting them know about the guidelines. Otherwise, just fix it and move on. Only request a ban if it gets serious.

kiba (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
July 15, 2013, 02:41:25 PM

Try being friendly in your PMs letting them know about the guidelines. Otherwise, just fix it and move on. Only request a ban if it gets serious.

My goal is to reduce the need to fix press thread to zero so that I literally eliminate the need for moderation.  If people aren't reading my PM or showing that they understand the guideline, then it is one more person to moderate in the future.

With a temporary ban, I can force them to learn rather than avoiding reading the thread they post in or avoiding reading PM.

tysat
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

Keep it real

View Profile
July 15, 2013, 05:13:38 PM

Is it being used incorrectly that much?  I honestly have no idea as I hardly look in there, but how many posts per week (an average) would you say are wrong?
phantastisch
Legendary

Activity: 2270
Merit: 1363

View Profile
July 16, 2013, 12:18:46 PM

I don't think a global ban of any kind would be justified for violating the subboard-rules in one subboard. Temp banning from posting in this sub-board on the other hand...

HOWEYCOINS   ▮      Excitement and         ⭐  ● TWITTER  ● FACEBOOK   ⭐       
  ▮    guaranteed returns                 ●TELEGRAM                         
  ▮  of the travel industry
    ⭐  ●Ann Thread ●Instagram   ⭐ 
✅    U.S.Sec    ➡️
✅  approved!  ➡️
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
July 16, 2013, 12:53:58 PM

Are you the new press officer? Can you remove that hive of scum and plagiarism that calls itself cryptocoinnews?
pekv2

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 16, 2013, 12:54:47 PM

nazi mod

go die from AIDS. stop censor

Karma is a bitch. Don't forget to wear a condom. Really, not censoring. Just teaching people how to follow guidelines. I agree with OP. If guidelines not followed why have them?

NE
It makes sense to have one thread to bunch all links and date to news thread, so much cleanser and

neat.
tysat
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

Keep it real

View Profile
July 16, 2013, 12:58:15 PM

I also want to add that it's pretty ballsy to come out and ask for the ability to be able to ban people out in the open.  It really doesn't seem necessary to ban people for using one subforum incorrectly as phantastisch said.
wlwesq

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 16, 2013, 01:01:09 PM

nazi mod

go die from AIDS. stop censor

Gee, can we show a little less class and decency?

As for the OP, it's a lose-lose situation. I helped run a LISTSERV back in the day, and whether you're nice in pointing out rule violations or not-so-nice in pointing them out, you offend someone.

Maybe the thing to do, if possible, is simply delete the violating post to be replaced with something like

[Post deleted due to nonconformity with rules. See (link).]

Any way you do it, moderating boards like this is a thankless job. (So, thanks!)
pekv2

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 16, 2013, 01:03:19 PM

[Post deleted due to nonconformity with rules. See (link).]

I'd agree this here would be censoring.

qwk
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3542
Merit: 3411

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
July 16, 2013, 01:05:00 PM

Yeah, well, I'm gonna go build my own blockchain. With blackjack and hookers! In fact forget the blockchain.
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
July 16, 2013, 01:15:38 PM

Well, Press subboard rules are very clear, if you violate them then you just didn't read them. There are rules about the title and the post, that's all. We can discuss if a "news" is fine or not, but the rules about how to make a thread are very clear.

BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2013, 01:18:19 PM

They aren't rules, they're guidelines. Banning is a little excessive.

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
wlwesq

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 16, 2013, 03:02:21 PM

How about kabi is venting a little frustration?

And, by the way, it's not censorship. Censorship is when you target something because of what it says. It's not censoring when you require people to adhere to certain rules or guidelines--if they do, they can say what they want.
Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
July 17, 2013, 01:50:21 AM

Seriously, just fix the posts. Being a mod means that you're more of janitor instead of a decider, so just deal with it. If someone gives you flak and reverts the date back to the incorrect format after you've changed it, then request a temp ban. Beyond that, even if every thread was misformatted, it would take all of ten minutes to fix every thread posted in a day, if that. Don't worry, you get paid for it.

razorfishsl

Activity: 399
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2013, 03:11:51 AM

I command you to go forth and free your people from the land of Egypt instead.....

High Quality USB Hubs for Bitcoin miners
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=560003
J.R. BOB DOBBS

Activity: 65
Merit: 10

GOT SLACK ?

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2013, 05:31:01 AM

BOB says: ban all normals only bitcoin can save the world from these rule breakers give me my slack back ! (=

notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 17, 2013, 05:36:25 AM

Seriously, just fix the posts. Being a mod means that you're more of janitor instead of a decider, so just deal with it. If someone gives you flak and reverts the date back to the incorrect format after you've changed it, then request a temp ban. Beyond that, even if every thread was misformatted, it would take all of ten minutes to fix every thread posted in a day, if that. Don't worry, you get paid for it.

Shit... moderator is a paid position?  I'll clean troll spam somewhere from some BTC Smiley.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
solex
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

100 satoshis -> ISO code

View Profile
July 17, 2013, 05:47:45 AM

Surely it is best to just fix the date yourself, which must take seconds, and send a polite PM with a link to the guidelines. This can be a template mail which will also be quick to send. Banning is a last resort and should be used only for known scammers and spammers.

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: