Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 01:18:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Temporary Ban for Press Guideline Violators  (Read 2703 times)
tysat
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

Keep it real

View Profile
July 17, 2013, 03:06:41 PM

Ain't fixing people's shit at the press forum anymore, either as a mod or a regular user.

Are you 12?  Sure seems like it from your reaction here.
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
July 17, 2013, 03:08:17 PM

Ain't fixing people's shit at the press forum anymore, either as a mod or a regular user.

1. Been told that I can't say "NEED DATE FIXING" in the forum thread.

2. Been told to simply quietly correct it.

3. Not getting support to help reduce irregularity in the press forum.

4. Been told that this is only "guideline".

OK, some people don't handle mod jobs well.
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 17, 2013, 03:15:36 PM

Could you even fix it without being a Moderator? Huh

If the Moderator title was only intended for people to take you seriously when you scold them about the bad date format, you're doing it wrong... But that's just my opinion.
kiba (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
July 17, 2013, 03:45:55 PM

Did not gain much if anything from ensuring press forum is clean and threads follows the rule of that subsection except for my own satisfaction.

The site owner and mod team essentially told me that keeping the particular subsection clean is not a priority or is important to them. They won't help me reduce the number of irregularity events caused by people who don't read the guideline, don't read their own thread, and don't read private messages.

As I have better thing to do, I might as well just play minecraft and be entertained by this thread.

SaltySpitoon
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 2154

Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?

View Profile
July 17, 2013, 03:52:58 PM

Probably would have worked out better had you posted this in the staff section, rather than public, so you could have gotten an answer without the ridicule.

Your task is like herding cats, you will never succeed, but hopefully you can at least help and sucessfully get a few cats following.
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
July 17, 2013, 04:12:18 PM

You won't get people to follow your guidelines with punitive action for minor infractions.
This will only lead to being seen as dictatorial, which people don't deal too well with, especially here.

Instead lead as good example, correct the false formatting and explain to users the benefit of following the guideline. This will in time lead to broader adoption of the guideline. Note I'm talking weeks here not days. People adapt slowly.

I should offer courses on this for dirty fiat money.
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 17, 2013, 04:19:39 PM

The site owner and mod team essentially told me that keeping the particular subsection clean is not a priority or is important to them. They won't help me reduce the number of irregularity events caused by people who don't read the guideline, don't read their own thread, and don't read private messages.

Wait, what? (the bolded part)
Can't talk for others, but whenever I see some problem in the Press forum I try to fix it.
In the last days I deleted/trashed lot's of spam there, sent PM's with warnings to 2 of the worst offenders and requested a ban for 1 user. And you say people won't help you? Undecided

You won't get people to follow your guidelines with punitive action for minor infractions.
This will only lead to being seen as dictatorial, which people don't deal too well with, especially here.

Instead lead as good example, correct the false formatting and explain to users the benefit of following the guideline. This will in time lead to broader adoption of the guideline. Note I'm talking weeks here not days. People adapt slowly.

I should offer courses on this for dirty fiat money.

This^^ 10000x
batcoin

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

In Gord We Trust

View Profile
July 17, 2013, 07:04:37 PM

Yep, this is it right here. I agree with what you want to do Kiba, I just don't agree with how you want to go about it. It will ultimately drive people off this forum or at the very least discourage them from posting in the press section.

If you have more than 0.01BTC and complain about early adopters, please consider donating to this address: 1P11Dz4mhDcJvetHqEJu35KNEVqSRmqo3b
General Tips: 1P4YfrYwQKKtfwszzb2aHgLVLiWQCrJfwi
kiba (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
July 17, 2013, 07:34:41 PM
Last edit: July 17, 2013, 07:45:12 PM by kiba

Ok. I changed my mind about how I should mod(should I ever mod in the future here or else where), but I am not visiting the press forum or bitcointalk anymore.

Well, let just say I respectively disagree with how moderation should be done.

paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2013, 07:47:00 PM
Last edit: July 18, 2013, 01:39:10 AM by paraipan

Ok. I changed my mind about how I should mod(should I ever mod in the future here or else where), but I am not visiting the press forum or bitcointalk anymore.

Well, let just say I respectively disagree with how moderation should be done.

I have read all the thread and come to the conclusion you're 12, is that right kiba?

Edit: Disregarding that I really hate the US date format, I actually think you do a great job and should keep it up. Follow example of fellow moderators like gayhawk or psy and you can safely ignore badbear  Grin. I PMd theymos to restore your mod for the News sub-forum, let's hope now.

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 01:28:04 PM

Simple fixes are better than power abuses. Just make it so that when posting in Press, the first 10 characters are checked for ####-##-## format (simple regex will do). I can do this if theymos doesn't have the time.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: