Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 10:26:53 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What would happen if bitcoin miners stop?  (Read 775 times)
fishbonez11

Activity: 322
Merit: 116

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 11:32:44 PM

If bitcoin miners stop, the bitcoin network would be problematic. Our send-receive transactions would not be processed. Also, there will be no new bitcoin generated.
prehisto

Activity: 882
Merit: 112

Your Data Belongs To You

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 11:34:35 PM

Very interesting to theorise something like that.

It is clear that there would be no transactions between BTC wallets.
But what would happen with BTC in exchanges.. would it be frozen and unable to transform to FIAT?

X L S L A B S ◉◉◉ INTERNET OF TRUST ◉◉◉ X L S L A B S
If you care about your personal data, you need to understand its future.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▮ TelegramTwitterBitcointalk ▮▬▬▬▬▬▬
fitzzz

Activity: 364
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 11:36:30 PM

If the bitcoin miners stop the network will stop.. The pending transaction and transaction fee will increase until it crash...
Vaskiy
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1106

Enterapp Pre-Sale Live - bit.ly/3UrMCWI

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 11:37:09 PM

If bitcoin miners stop, the bitcoin network would be problematic. Our send-receive transactions would not be processed. Also, there will be no new bitcoin generated.
If the miners stop operating, surely it'll be getting exaggerated as an issue by the users of bitcoin. Such scenario never happens, because miners serve as the back bone of bitcoin. New coins won't get generated and the same will lead to an increase in price of bitcoin.

█████████████████████
█████████████████████████
█████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████████
██████▀███████████▀██████
█████▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀█████
████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████
█████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████
██████▄███████████▄██████
█████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████████
█████████████████████

CRYPTO WEBNEOBANK    
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄██████░░░░░░░░░░███▄
▄████▄▄███████▄▄░░░██▄
▄█████████████████░░░██▄
████░░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░██
████░░██████████░░░░░░░██
████░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░██
▀█████████████████░░░██▀
▀████▀▀███████▀▀░░░██▀
▀██████░░░░░░░░░░███▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
ekans45

Activity: 229
Merit: 108

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 11:43:09 PM

Even when electricity price for mining will be more than the price of bitcoin - miners will continue mining because of thinking about growing up of bitcoin price. So, miners never stop.
Mining is a process to gain bitcoin with the used of specific equipment. And miners is one of the factor that affect bitcoin price becasue they are the one who gain bitcoin or move bitcoin stock in the market. But the main factor that affects bitcoin price is peoole support with the used of Bitcoin. As long as we used Bitcoin in transaction, investment or even in trading it'd stock mkve in the market having the ability and capability to grow and develop its price and value.
Beicin

Activity: 182

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 11:45:53 PM

Why would the miners ever stop? I suggest you taking a look at game theory to understand a little bit better how things work in any economic setting.

Now, if a big part of the miners move to another coin, then it means the block time is going to be super slow until the next difficulty adjustment, which would mean an insane amount of unconfirmed transactions.

lazygin001

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 11:46:43 PM

It is not possible for them to stop as it will always go back to being profitable at some point and nobody will miss the chance to mine then.
Saifher

Activity: 126

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 11:48:25 PM

It is not possible for them to stop as it will always go back to being profitable at some point and nobody will miss the chance to mine then.

This is true. It'll always reach an equilibrium where it will be profitable to mine for someone. I think only a tragedy would mean everyone stops mining Bitcoin, or if the price suddenly tanks to almost zero.

Akash1243

Activity: 392
Merit: 257

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 11:57:02 PM

If miners would stop mining than transactions would be confirmed and bitcoins transfers will be totally stop which could be deadly for bitcoins.But bitcoins prices are increasing very fast so i don't think so that anyone would stop mining as it would be quite valuable in future if the price of bitcoins increases more.
lasry

Activity: 205

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 12:12:52 AM

If miners stopped mining there wont be any more transactions that can be processed.
Like these days, its really hard to transact with bitcoin and those transaction fees are so high
Its is because there's a great imbalance with miners and with respect to bitcoin users. Transactions wont get processed fast because of lack of miners
And if no one mines maybe  bitcoin would die.

❱  Whitepaper  ❱   E M R X ─ Token ─   :   LEARN MORE   
      E M I R E X         ─── إمركس ───          :         The Infrastructure for the
[ ◾ telegram   ◾ facebook   ◾ TWITTER ]   New Digital Economy
chiefthor

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 01:03:39 AM

If it is possible that one by one the bitcoin miner stops, the price of bitcoin will decrease because of low of demand, but i think that is not possible.
gambitcoin53

Activity: 378
Merit: 25

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 01:20:11 AM

if miners will stop mining, there would be huge demand in bitcoin, because the btc that are circulating will not circulate because of the system of trading is trying to hoard bitcoin to sell it in the future where bitcoin price is high. like what is happening in fiat currency, where the governments are not producing new money by printing, based on their reserves, resulting huge exchange in dollars to other currency, same goes to bitcoin when no one is mining, there would be huge demand, and huge demand means huge profit.

⚡⚡ PRiVCY ⚡⚡   ▂▃▅▆█ ✅ PRiVCY (PRIV) is a new PoW/PoS revolutionary privacy project ● ☞ ✅ Best privacy crypto-market! ● █▆▅▃▂
    Own Your Privacy! ─────────────────║ WebsiteGithub  |  Bitcointalk  |  Twitter  |  Discord  |  Explorer ║─────────────────
   ✯✯✯✯✯                 ✈✈✈[Free Airdrop - Starts 9th June]✅[Tor]✈✈✈ ║───────────║ Wallet ➢ ✓ Windows  |  ✓ macOS  |  ✓ Linux
levvv

Activity: 532
Merit: 17

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 01:32:04 AM

The miners help to mine block much faster on every bitcoin transaction, the more miners, the faster.
i think if the miners stop mining, every transaction in bitcoin will pending or going very slow.
tree1100hn

Activity: 229

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 01:34:02 AM

t's an unlikely scenario though, as someone would always be willing to mine bitcoins since the less miners there are, the more profitable it becomes for the individual miner.There are also a lot of bitcoin in circulation. After all, there are so many benefits that many of them will continue and will not stop. The one-day stoppage of miners is a huge loss. Besides, every miner is not willing to stop.
rockem5

Activity: 69

Antifragile

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 01:34:59 AM

If it is possible that one by one the bitcoin miner stops, the price of bitcoin will decrease because of low of demand, but i think that is not possible.

Demand wont necessarily crash if miners stop, but tx fees will definitely be higher and a lot longer. Probably wont happen though, less miners = more potential profit for miners.

🔶  Like Trading Cryptocurrencies?📈💱 👇👇👇
🔶  Get a 🔖10% Discount on Binance exchange fees through our exclusive link here. 👈
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
winyau8888

Activity: 131
Merit: 12

I am a baby to cryptocurrency~

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 01:41:49 AM

What makes the thousands miners stop mining? I think there must be something new and beyond Bitcoin or the worse scenario is the end of the world.
Otherwise, they are unstoppable and switch between coins only.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★   DeepOnion  ✔  Anonymous and Untraceable Cryptocurrency  ✔  TOR INTEGRATED & SECURED   ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
› › › › ›  JOIN THE NEW AIRDROP ✈️    ★    ✔ VERIFIED WITH DEEPVAULT  ‹ ‹ ‹ ‹ ‹
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   ANN  WHITEPAPER  FACEBOOK  TWITTER  YOUTUBE  FORUM   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
poliy1219

Activity: 146

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 01:44:27 AM

Without miners, the transaction will soon stop, and the whole bitcoin network will soon collapse, because it is impossible for everyone to do the OTC trade. Then the value of the bitcoin will soon disappear.
feelmuhtoy

Activity: 70
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2017, 01:50:55 AM

miners are the true believers that bitcoin are becoming more valuable each day, so i guess they won't stop mining until their are still more bitcoins to mine. Miners are also the backbone of the blockchain technology, without them it is hard to process a bitcoin transaction becuase they will pass through a bitcoin mining hardware to secure transaction.
dhka

Activity: 266
Merit: 101

The Experience Layer of the Decentralized Internet

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 05:29:01 AM

No miner means no transaction, on the other hand means the doomsday of bitcoin
Why people use bitcoin if they cannot do any transaction with it Grin

Miners have important role in blockchain, with the price surge of bitcoin I think there will more miners added everyday so that there will be no pending transaction again later

kevoh

Activity: 448
Merit: 110

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 05:58:15 AM

I heard that bitcoin is controlled by we users and miners,
so I wonder what would happen if all the bitcoin miners stop mining bitcoin?.

I'm curious to know what would happen to bitcoin. Undecided

This is certainly not going to happen. Bitcoin mining is based on the concept of - Mining Paradox.
Suppose 10 people are mining Bitcoins and earning profits. Now seeing them 10 more enter. Earlier mining profit was distributed among 10 people and now 20. Suppose 10 more people enter, now mining become non-profitable as well as miners have to bare losses. As a result, several will leave mining. Now suppose 20 miners leave mining, once again mining will become profitable and new miners will enter. So this circle will continue but never drop to zero.

PS: Well, if something similar happens, I am ready with my small mining rig. When everyone else stop mining, I will start with it and become millionaire the very next day.  Cheesy
This pretty much explains it. The miners are a very important group in the Bitcoin ecosystem and without them carrying their role in the ecosystem it becomes a big issue and possible breakdown. As long as there is a mining incentive the scenario of the miners leaving the scene might not take place.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: