Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 05:43:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Curious about setting up a secure wallet  (Read 171 times)
saulizzle (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 11:26:41 PM

Hello, everyone!
I'm a bit curious when it comes to saving your cryptocurrencies in a safe way, but I have some unanswered questions about software wallets.
I have a computer I never use, I was wondering if it's safe to save cryptocurrencies on it using software wallets.
Is it also possible to make a copy of the wallet and store it in another harddisk that I'll plug out of the computer?

Software wallets are safe if they're not connected to the internet, right?

Also: I've got 10 different coins that I want to store, are there any good and secure multi coin wallets out there?
Shazam!!!

Activity: 350
Merit: 158

#takeminingback

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2017, 11:39:43 PM

Hello, everyone!
I'm a bit curious when it comes to saving your cryptocurrencies in a safe way, but I have some unanswered questions about software wallets.
I have a computer I never use, I was wondering if it's safe to save cryptocurrencies on it using software wallets.
Is it also possible to make a copy of the wallet and store it in another harddisk that I'll plug out of the computer?

Also: I've got 10 different coins that I want to store, are there any good and secure multi coin wallets out there?

Yes you can put a Wallet on your old pc. As far as making a copy and storing it, you can make a USB "Cold Storage".
There's a pretty good video on youtube that shows you how. Just search: usb bitcoin walletand you'll find it.
Your software wallet is only as secure as your protection on your device. Never open your wallet while browsing the web.

More than anything, make a hard copy (pen and paper) of your wallets "seed" and password. If your hardrive dies, you can
re-download your wallet, put the "seed" in and all of your crypto info is there.

As far as the multi wallet, I don't know much about it. Goodluck!

Click these links to learn some truth about Big Corporate mining pools stealing your money and centralizing BTCitcoin!!!
Help support the BTCitcoin community!!! Mine your BTCitcoin at a non-Corporate pool!!! BTC: 1ShazamjsPnpWDNnk3n2tAiKGMdXaSjay
I mine BTCitcoin at a non-Corporate pool with no hidden fees, no empty BTClocks: Kano Pool   ■ get Kano Pool signature banners here ■
saulizzle (OP)

Activity: 2

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 11:49:27 PM

Okay, but wallets are safe or in general the computer is safe when not powered on, right?

How do I safely store my bitcoins with a computer I never use and two harddrives? I was thinking about making a fresh install of windows, install wallet, add coins, make a copy of the wallet to the other hard drive and just keep the computer offline and never turning it on until I'm gonna sell all my coins.
Shazam!!!

Activity: 350
Merit: 158

#takeminingback

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2017, 12:00:10 AM

Okay, but wallets are safe or in general the computer is safe when not powered on, right?

How do I safely store my bitcoins with a computer I never use and two harddrives? I was thinking about making a fresh install of windows, install wallet, add coins, make a copy of the wallet to the other hard drive and just keep the computer offline and never turning it on until I'm gonna sell all my coins.

Yes it is safe. You don't need a whole computer to store what you need offline, but I'm sure as long as you use the same wallet(program)
you can just use the "seed" on both machines. (someone jump in if I'm wrong on this)

Check out these threads about different wallets, you may find more answers you have here.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=37.0

Click these links to learn some truth about Big Corporate mining pools stealing your money and centralizing BTCitcoin!!!
Help support the BTCitcoin community!!! Mine your BTCitcoin at a non-Corporate pool!!! BTC: 1ShazamjsPnpWDNnk3n2tAiKGMdXaSjay
I mine BTCitcoin at a non-Corporate pool with no hidden fees, no empty BTClocks: Kano Pool   ■ get Kano Pool signature banners here ■
MaxGiant57001

Activity: 53

View Profile
December 21, 2017, 07:04:10 AM

Coinomi is a multi-asset wallet that supports every cryptocurrency and token you can dream of.  Using ShapeShift, they allow easy exchanges between any of the supported assets from within the interface. No identity-linking, no IP or transaction tracking, and your IP is even filtered through their servers for added anonymity. Its easy to verify security with their open source ecosystem.
ambnet7

Activity: 28

View Profile
December 21, 2017, 11:25:35 AM

While surfing in internet , I have found this. Please check. Might be helpful.
"A hardware wallet is a physical electronic device, built for the sole purpose of securing bitcoins. The core innovation is that the hardware wallet must be connected to your computer, phone, or tablet before bitcoins may be spent. The three most popular and best Bitcoin hardware wallets are:
    Ledger Nano S
    KeepKey
    Trezor
Hardware wallets are a good choice if you’re serious about security and convenient, reliable Bitcoin storage.
Bitcoin hardware wallets keep private keys separate from vulnerable, internet-connected devices."
xPPx

Activity: 531
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
December 21, 2017, 07:54:03 PM

This is a tossup between hardware wallets Trezor and Ledger...
Coinster

Activity: 222
Merit: 101

View Profile
December 21, 2017, 11:26:31 PM

It's safer than storing on a computer that you always use and is connected to the Internet, but that doesn't mean 100% safe. If you computer has ever been connected to the Internet then there is a risk it's compromised. Your best bet is reformatting your drive and doing a fresh install of your operating system. Linux probably works best for that since it's freely available.

Yes, but that's not really necessary. A much safer, more convenient way to back up your wallet is use one which gives you a recovery seed (password) which you can write down. See versions of Electrum for that.

Again, they're safer than ones that are not connected but not 100% safe. Think of who else might have access to that computer. Maybe they don't know money is stored there and start using it without your knowledge. I recommend using a dedicated hardware wallet for any significant amounts.  Try Ledger Wallet.

Storing multiple coins securely is much harder than picking a few and just concentrating on storing those correctly or using a hardware wallet. Hope this helps!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: