Bitcoin Forum
June 27, 2024, 07:33:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Help with my mining rig! 5 GPU, but only 4 is detected!!!  (Read 4206 times)
blueriver (OP)

Activity: 38
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 17, 2013, 05:10:07 AM

Hi Everyone!

I need some help with my mining rig setup. I currently have 5 GPU on a motherboard, but windows only detects 4 of them. When I remove one of them, Windows only detects 3 of them. I can't think of why this is occuring, but its extremely frustrating.

Specs:
AsRock 970 Extreme4
Sempron
4 gig of ram
5 Radeon 7770
PSU 750w
Windows 7 HP

It isn't a power issue as all fans spins with this low-power GPU. If you guys can help out, that would be great. This has been driving me crazy!

Thanks so much for the help and happy mining!
Rhovac

Activity: 11

View Profile
July 17, 2013, 07:04:36 AM

Read my post here:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=257486.0
darrd

Activity: 24

View Profile
July 17, 2013, 07:07:28 AM

your Windows 7 32b or 64bit?
blueriver (OP)

View Profile
July 17, 2013, 02:53:59 PM

Windows 7 64 bit.

Thanks Rhovac, I'll try and post back in a few hours!
Rhovac

View Profile
July 17, 2013, 03:45:43 PM

If this doesn`t help you - check out the shortening trick. With this shortening you send an "Hello Board, here I am - your brand new x1 device!"  signal.  Cool This works with x16 slots too!

You can find several infos to this topic on this board.

Here one really good thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=36061.0

blueriver (OP)

View Profile
July 17, 2013, 04:07:28 PM

Hi Rhovac,

No lucky.. Cry My computer still only detects 4 in Device Manager...

Im using 5 1x to 16x PCIe risers... Shouldn't that work and not require me to short the pins?

If I need to though, how do I short the pins? I'm a little confused on how to actually do it... Thanks so much for the help!
blueriver (OP)

View Profile
July 17, 2013, 04:20:35 PM

Hi all,

I'm also facing the issues of having only 3 run while 4 is plugged into.

I installed AMD-APP-SDK-2.8.1
12.6 to 13.4 Catalyst

Device Manager is showing 1 less GPU while i'm all on 1x to 16x PCIe risers...

Do I need to reinstall windows or something?

Any suggestions??? Thanks for the help!
Rhovac

View Profile
July 17, 2013, 04:40:39 PM

Which Slot you have to short depends on your Motherboard. Search for yours in the post i previously posted.
Here an pic of one of those shortener: http://blog.zorinaq.com/images/pcie-short-photo.jpg
It should be an solid one wire cable. If you can`t find it, ask your mum! Sometimes mums are using this kind for binding plants Smiley

@blueriver I read before, v2.8 would cause problems.
cgminer/bfgminer READMEs recommends to use AMD_APP_SDK-2.7

An clear uninstall  of v2.8 via AMD Install Manager should be fine. Just dont save with reboots - windows need those a lot Smiley - Windows reinstall shouldn`t be nessesary.

One more suggestion:
On my motherboard MSI Z77A-G45 there is a pci x1 pair between two x16 Slots. By using one of those, this disables the other one. I`m not sure, but i suppose in this case one graka shouldn`t be visible in the windows device manager at all, cause the disabling has to be an bios implemented chipset issue.
Try using different slots.
blueriver (OP)

View Profile
July 17, 2013, 05:00:17 PM

Which Slot you have to short depends on your Motherboard. Search for yours in the post i previously posted.
Here an pic of one of those shortener: http://blog.zorinaq.com/images/pcie-short-photo.jpg
It should be an solid one wire cable. If you can`t find it, ask your mum! Sometimes mums are using this kind for binding plants Smiley

@blueriver I read before, v2.8 would cause problems.
cgminer/bfgminer READMEs recommends to use AMD_APP_SDK-2.7

An clear uninstall  of v2.8 via AMD Install Manager should be fine. Just dont save with reboots - windows need those a lot Smiley - Windows reinstall shouldn`t be nessesary.

One more suggestion:
On my motherboard MSI Z77A-G45 there is a pci x1 pair between two x16 Slots. By using one of those, this disables the other one. I`m not sure, but i suppose in this case one graka shouldn`t be visible in the windows device manager at all, cause the disabling has to be an bios implemented chipset issue.
Try using different slots.

I searched for my motherboard on that link, but it never mentions my AsRock 970 extreme4.

The funny thing is I got 4 cards working perfectly fine the other day, but once I tried to go to 5 cards, shit went to hell in a handbasket...

I'm going to try a clean install later, because if it worked perfectly one time, fingers crossed it can do it again... I heard windows 8 was better at detecting 5 cards than windows 7... Any suggestions there?

Anything else anyone can think of? Thanks so much so far Rhovac!
Rhovac

View Profile
July 17, 2013, 05:09:54 PM

uuuh Windows 8 - absolutely to much microsoft for me Tongue
I would recommend you to make an counter check with new BAMT USB live version including actual drivers. google it Smiley
If this also reports errors using
dmesg
your problem should be an hardware one.

Anyway.. dont give up Wink
blueriver (OP)

View Profile
July 17, 2013, 08:02:18 PM

uuuh Windows 8 - absolutely to much microsoft for me Tongue
I would recommend you to make an counter check with new BAMT USB live version including actual drivers. google it Smiley
If this also reports errors using
dmesg
your problem should be an hardware one.

Anyway.. dont give up Wink

Do you know if BAMT has drivers for Radeon 7700? i might just have to do a counter check as you were saying, but the thing about it is all my stuff is brand new and i have 4 rigs of 16 GPU right now, but nothing is running right with windows... I just need to start from square one and go from there.
Rhovac

View Profile
July 17, 2013, 08:35:18 PM

It has. Not originally, but there is still an active community.

This should be it: https://forum.litecoin.net/index.php?topic=2924.0

There is also another bamt, where i can only find the local file - no link
search for: bamt_HD7000_amd_catalist_13.4_cgminer_3.1.1_amd_SDL_v5_amd_app_sdk_v2.7_all_int egrated_and_preconfigured_for_7970_660Mhs.img
I think, this was made by an guy called "phillip"..

You have 4 rigs full of 7700 !? Sounds like an interessting experiment Smiley
Why did you decide to take 7700, when 7950 etc. gets celebrated overall?
blueriver (OP)

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 01:59:42 AM

Its cheap! 7770 costed 75 a piece and hashes at around 165-170 but its not even running optimically (I think, as 3.3.1 cg miner states it is about 60% next to the temperature) [I think that is the performance of each card right? if i can get the performance up, it might be worth it from a cost per GPU perspective]

I'm just trying something new, getting into the game with a cheap rig...
blueriver (OP)

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 06:19:10 AM

I finally figured it out!

ASRock only allows 22 pins (read it previously) and everytime i tried to make it work with all 5 slots, it only showed 4 GPU. I realized that it was the pci3 8pin slot that never worked and I realized that 16 + 4 + 1 + 1 = 22 which was why i got it working with 4 the first time and i ever was able to get it working since then!

Im leaving it at 4 gpu a rig and calling it a day, for now...

Thanks for the help Rhovac!!!
Will2117

Activity: 10

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 10:37:33 AM

I finally figured it out!

ASRock only allows 22 pins (read it previously) and everytime i tried to make it work with all 5 slots, it only showed 4 GPU. I realized that it was the pci3 8pin slot that never worked and I realized that 16 + 4 + 1 + 1 = 22 which was why i got it working with 4 the first time and i ever was able to get it working since then!

Im leaving it at 4 gpu a rig and calling it a day, for now...

Thanks for the help Rhovac!!!

Hi,

I am currently struggling to configure even 3 cards to work at one time with my 970 extreme4 motherboard. I am using 3 r9 280x's. I have three powered risers. At one point I had four 280x's plugged and the motherboard was only reading 3.  I removed the non-working card and now I cannot get that third card to work no matter what I've tried. I seen your posting about this issue. Could you tell me what driver version you are using and what you mean by the mobo only allows for 22 pins?

Thank you for the help,
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: