Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 04:21:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Focusing on Anonymity Over Privacy Holding Back Bitcoin?  (Read 789 times)
DrGregMulhauser (OP)

Activity: 330
Merit: 255

View Profile
July 17, 2013, 08:45:23 AM
Last edit: July 17, 2013, 09:21:59 AM by DrGregMulhauser

Every so often, the distinction between anonymity and privacy comes up, and I recently tried to bring a few ideas together on this in an article suggesting that privacy in the Bitcoin economy often winds up either being conflated with anonymity or being set aside in the implicit belief that if you take care of the anonymity, then the privacy will take care of itself. In my view, this is pretty far from the truth.

The article suggests that preoccupation with anonymity risks both undermining privacy itself and impeding the wider acceptance of Bitcoins as a currency for conducting business. Many people in the broader economy are far more concerned with their privacy than with the capability to conduct transactions anonymously, and unfortunately many of the makeshift solutions which have been developed to address the challenges which anonymity creates actually risk making privacy in the Bitcoin economy worse, rather than better.

The article also touches on the extent to which increasingly powerful network analyis tools mean that each identification of a link between a real person and a single transaction -- i.e., identification of one vertex in an overall flow of transactions -- could potentially impact the privacy of other people and other transactions.

The full article is here:

In the Bitcoin Economy, Anonymity and Privacy are Not the Same Thing

Thoughts, comments, criticisms all welcome...

Tips: 1GTvfygTCnA5LdE2dX31AtcHho6s6X9H9b
BTC Growth
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
July 17, 2013, 11:15:47 AM

tagged.

flagel8

Activity: 188
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 07:02:37 AM

I'm not sure I need secrecy. But once I give it up, it's GONE, BABY. So I'd like to keep it just in case. Bitcoin transactions are not the only things that are irreversible.
mjosephs

Activity: 129
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 10:45:10 AM

Douchebaggery like this is what's holding back bitcoin.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: