Bitcoin Forum
July 12, 2024, 04:42:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Open-air case for Bitfury miners (pics and link to FS thread in OP): NEW Version  (Read 11039 times)
Spotswood (OP)

Activity: 512
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2013, 11:16:35 PM

Hi there,

Couple of questions:

So have you been able to get exact dimensions for the boards?  Also, the PSU would be a standard ATX so that it too can be screwed down in place?  And would the unit come with fan(s) and would these be bolt'able to the case?

I gues my vote is on a design such that everything is bolted in place, so there's no worry about items shifting about if I have to move the unit around.  My milk crate caused be  such personal grief (as I only zip tied everything) - and I would rather not have a repeat.   Also, I may need to be moving once I get this in Oct and all.

I like the clean open air design - and looking at your work on your website, it looks super clean lines.  Thanks!

Yes, I have all of the dimensions that I need.
Yes, this will mount a standard ATX PSU, fastened to the frame.
No fans, but the case will include 12 fan mounting "tabs" and all of the required fasteners.

Spotswood (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2013, 12:04:22 AM

I tweaked the design to accommodate the m-board's unusual Raspberry Pi mounting:

-Redacted-

Activity: 574
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 01, 2013, 12:35:52 AM

They're supposed to use a higher connector that points the other direction to flip the RPi around the other way.   If they do that, can we just use shorter spacers to mount the M-board?
Spotswood (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2013, 01:18:39 AM

They're supposed to use a higher connector that points the other direction to flip the RPi around the other way.   If they do that, can we just use shorter spacers to mount the M-board?

The tall spacer (25mm) was actually selected to allow plenty of room for the Pi to be mounted underneath the m-board.  It was then a natural progression to adjust the design ever so slightly to allow the Pi to be plugged directly into the m-board. 

-Redacted-

View Profile
August 01, 2013, 01:29:01 AM

Might just be me, but those tall spacers seem to make it look a bit, erm, wobbly?  I can't tell by looking at it from this angle, did you say there are mounting brackets at the top to hold the H-boards in place?
Spotswood (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2013, 01:42:17 AM

Might just be me, but those tall spacers seem to make it look a bit, erm, wobbly?  I can't tell by looking at it from this angle, did you say there are mounting brackets at the top to hold the H-boards in place?

No chance of any wobbling, because the standoffs (actually spacers) will be fastened to the case via a long bolt up through the entire extrusion.

The top edge of one side of the h-boards will be held in place via pairs of spacers:

jflowers

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 01, 2013, 02:19:52 AM

Rich,

Looks great!  I'm really excited about this. 

I know that a lot of folks are going to be thrilled to know that they have a beautiful case for their equipment!
Swimmer63
Legendary

Activity: 1593
Merit: 1004

View Profile
August 01, 2013, 02:58:49 AM

How do we order Spotswood?
Spotswood (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2013, 03:29:47 AM

How do we order Spotswood?
Nice.

I'm low-tech...  Just send me an email (rchomiczewski at gmail.com) to start the process. 

-Redacted-

View Profile
August 01, 2013, 12:36:43 PM

OK.  I'm in for one... 
Email sent.
forum2005

Activity: 127
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 03, 2013, 01:49:28 PM

I will have a prototype done by the end of next week.

I'm interested. Can you publish any photo?

Spotswood (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2013, 03:05:55 PM
Last edit: August 10, 2013, 10:52:09 PM by Spotswood

Prototype is done!

Prices for these will be $125 (flat packed) and $150 (fully assembled).  The first second batch of these should start to ship about a two weeks.

Although I don't have an m-board here, I've verified as well as I can that the Raspberry Pi will fit either plugged directly into the socket or mounted underneath the board.

Design/feature discussion can continue in this thread.  I'll be starting a new "for sale" thread over in the marketplace.   Grin

cet

Activity: 100
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 03, 2013, 03:26:21 PM

That looks like a great case!

/cet
tom99

Activity: 420

View Profile
August 03, 2013, 11:30:33 PM

nice case
bkpduke

Activity: 158

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2013, 12:11:51 AM

Nice work!

How difficult is the setup if we buy the flat-packed version?  I would likely be down for 2.
Spotswood (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2013, 12:30:21 AM

Nice work!

How difficult is the setup if we buy the flat-packed version?  I would likely be down for 2.

A flat-packed case would arrive partially assembled, consisting of top and bottom halves.  You would have to attach the feet, posts, fan tabs, standoffs, all of which would probably require about an hour of your time.

nexus99
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 04, 2013, 12:48:32 AM

Well shoot... this does look pretty cool. Are all the mounting pieces adjustable just in case the PCBs are a MM or so off?
bkpduke

Activity: 158

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2013, 01:00:30 AM

Nice work!

A flat-packed case would arrive partially assembled, consisting of top and bottom halves.  You would have to attach the feet, posts, fan tabs, standoffs, all of which would probably require about an hour of your time.

OK, how do we order?  I have two Aug Bitfury's on order and would like to get these around the same time.
Spotswood (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2013, 01:31:19 AM

Nice work!

OK, how do we order?  I have two Aug Bitfury's on order and would like to get these around the same time.
Nice.

Send me an email (rchomiczewski at gmail.com).

optimator

Activity: 351

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2013, 01:44:38 AM

The design is exceptional! Well done. I'm interested in an enclosed rack mountable unit. I think an enclosed unit in a  data center environment is preferred because it channels the air front to back. That is, from the cool in flow side of the rack to the hot outflow side. I'm not an engineer (IANAE???) but that's my thinking.

Cheers!

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: