Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 09:01:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Proposal: activity penalty for necroposts  (Read 617 times)
kjj (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 02:55:28 PM

I see a lot of 2011 and 2012 threads getting new posts, usually by relatively new users making lots of short (one or two line) posts.

Giving a permanent -10 penalty to activity rating would make this activity useless for people hoping to boost their activity for PM or trust purposes, but not be overly punitive for people that really think that an old thread deserves a new read.

Also, I mentioned it in a different thread, but figure it is worth repeating here.  Ignores earned should deduct from activity, either actual activity or effective activity used for spamming.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1075

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2013, 03:01:48 PM

Another approach that I have been playing with is the idea of ratings that cost you your own rating points to give (either positive or negative).

If you make it hard to get the points (be it # of posts or time) then the cost of using such points (being scarce) is not so likely to be wasted.

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 03:09:07 PM

I see a lot of 2011 and 2012 threads getting new posts, usually by relatively new users making lots of short (one or two line) posts.

Giving a permanent -10 penalty to activity rating would make this activity useless for people hoping to boost their activity for PM or trust purposes, but not be overly punitive for people that really think that an old thread deserves a new read.

Also, I mentioned it in a different thread, but figure it is worth repeating here.  Ignores earned should deduct from activity, either actual activity or effective activity used for spamming.

You're assigning some arbitrary value to that number on the left there again. Like people did with the postcount. Which was the reason why postcount got removed in the first place.

Here is a Public Service Announcement: Penis size is unrelated to either activity or postcount size. No one cares about activity or postcount size. If you DO care aout activity or postcount size nonetheless, please stay calm, sit down in a quiet place and wait for help to arrive. A unit of helper monkey will be dispatched as soon as possible.
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 03:11:42 PM

You're assigning some arbitrary value to that number on the left there again. Like people did with the postcount. Which was the reason why postcount got removed in the first place.

Here is a Public Service Announcement: Penis size is unrelated to either activity or postcount size. No one cares about activity or postcount size. If you DO care aout activity or postcount size nonetheless, please stay calm, sit down in a quiet place and wait for help to arrive. A unit of helper monkey will be dispatched as soon as possible.
The fact is that people who get scammed by these spammers do value that number
The better would be to display nothing. Or registration date.

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
greyhawk

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 03:17:40 PM

There's the real problem right there.
kjj (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 03:21:08 PM

You might not have gotten the memo, but the ability to send PMs is linked to penis size activity.

I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
greyhawk

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 03:27:42 PM

You might not have gotten the memo, but the ability to send PMs is linked to penis size activity.

Really? Ok, that's kinda absurd.
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 03:41:13 PM

There's the real problem right there.
I can't agree with you more

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
kjj (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 03:45:00 PM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=253190.msg2702160#msg2702160

Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 05:05:28 PM

In other words, we're proposing to turn a measure of activity into something which is not a measure of activity.

I must point out, people who necropost aren't trying to boost their activity rating; they're simply clueless as to the etiquette of forums, which is, "We don't like necroposting so please stop."  Because activity is not measured by the age of the threads you post in, but by post count limited by the threshold of how many two-week spans you're online, it should make no reflection on activity that a member would feel the need to necropost for this purpose.

Therefor, unwanted necroposting is done solely by people who are, likely, searching for a thread they like and not realizing just how old that thread is.  Rather than punishing the person for something they're not realizing they're doing (or in some cases, as has happened before with a member necrospamming in any thread related to Jews, which should be met with direct mod action), a more productive solution would be to include a warning upon hitting the post button (as is the case when posting after a reply has been made) when a member is posting in a thread older than, say, six months--or, if we really wanted to kill necroposting, threads could be auto-locked and archived after a certain time period.  But to attack a person's activity rating after the deed is done will not serve to help anyone in any way; the old thread is still there.

greyhawk

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 06:21:12 PM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=253190.msg2702160#msg2702160

laffo, ok, so he made spamming more difficult by requiring people to spam more. That'll work out great.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: