Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 06:46:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XPM] Working on a GPU miner for Primecoin  (Read 102754 times)
TheSwede75

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 06:38:21 PM

A GPU miner unreleased to the public will likely destroy the price of XPM. No one likes a coin being instamined by a small group.
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 06:53:06 PM

I suggest the name Primer for this.

I'd like Optimus Prime  Wink

Optimus Prime is what i vote. 

Will you be offering beta access once its made?   I for one would feel more comfortable seeing it work in video and then doing a donation for advanced copy.
Blockchainz

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 06:56:11 PM

Any idea what kind of gpu will be able to get the 2x performance increase? I have two geforce 5 series cards that need to do more than lay around around all day in my closet. They haven't done anything since Battlefield Bad Company 2  Cheesy
TheSwede75

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 07:03:20 PM

CUDA implementations of Mersenne prime solving is more like 500 x CPU
Schwede65

Activity: 309
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 07:09:00 PM

How fast is the miner going to be?

It is very difficult to say at this point. Some people have/had a bounty for a CUDA miner that is twice the speed of the CPU miner. I think that's definitely achievable.

about what speed are we talking?

please give us a more concrete example: what can a HD6990 do or a HD 5850 or a HD 7950 - in PPS please...
round-about-numbers...
Sterling

Activity: 39
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 07:11:57 PM

A GPU miner unreleased to the public will likely destroy the price of XPM. No one likes a coin being instamined by a small group.

For once, I agree with you. Nobody wants a small group of miners getting all the coins and driving the diff up, then dumping them on exchanges, destroying the price. That's one of the best ways to kill a coin, right there.

How is GPU mining any different than botnets targeting XPM? ASICS didn't destroy BTC, GPUs won't destroy XPM. We'll find out soon enough.
TheSwede75

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 07:16:27 PM

For once, I agree with you. Nobody wants a small group of miners getting all the coins and driving the diff up, then dumping them on exchanges, destroying the price. That's one of the best ways to kill a coin, right there.

How is GPU mining any different than botnets targeting XPM? ASICS didn't destroy BTC, GPUs won't destroy XPM. We'll find out soon enough.

Botnets are generally 'to be expected' and not very effective in CPU mining and ASIC can be 'guesstimated' and only work on coins with exceptionally high difficulty. A mining SOFTWARE at zero-cost that possibly mines at several HUNDRED times CPU only available to a small group would be a disaster for any currency.
xyzzy099
Legendary

Activity: 1063
Merit: 1048

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 07:17:15 PM

Over and over we see the same process, and over and over we see the same 'Chicken Little's running around and screaming about the sky falling at each step in the process.  It's just one of the cycles of nature.  Embrace it, smile, and mine on Wink

Libertarians:  Diligently plotting to take over the world and leave you alone.
96redformula

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 07:17:22 PM

Edited:

How will you be distributing the software?  Linux/Windows binaries and source?  Secondly, we will be in the beta as long as we send BTC by the 25th?
xyzzy099
Legendary

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 07:36:34 PM

Over and over we see the same process, and over and over we see the same 'Chicken Little's running around and screaming about the sky falling at each step in the process.  It's just one of the cycles of nature.  Embrace it, smile, and mine on Wink

We're not saying a GPU miner is bad. We're saying having a GPU miner available to only a small group is bad.

Every innovation starts with a small group, or a single individual.

ReCat

Activity: 406

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2013, 07:37:38 PM

Prepare for a primecoin collapse. I'm selling all of my primecoins now. With everyone getting mass free coins and dumping them the value can only go down.

BTC: 1recatirpHBjR9sxgabB3RDtM6TgntYUW
Hold onto what you love with all your might, Because you can never know when - Oh. What you love is now gone.
TheSwede75

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 07:39:31 PM

We're not saying a GPU miner is bad. We're saying having a GPU miner available to only a small group is bad.

BS. The entire concept of cryptocurrency and open source is dependent on group effort and colaboration. If ONE person with a GPU mining cluster turns on 50 million PPS the coin dies.
gateway

Activity: 552
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 07:41:10 PM

I think the guys over on irc #eligius-prime are also looking or working towards gpu miner with BFGminer..
xyzzy099
Legendary

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 07:42:04 PM

BS. The entire concept of cryptocurrency and open source is dependent on group effort and colaboration. If ONE person with a GPU mining cluster turns on 50 million PPS the coin dies.

xyzzy099
Legendary

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 07:47:04 PM

Dude, you haven't even been around long enough to witness much. You registered in June, and now you're an expert on what's good for a coin?

I wasn't in Rome when when Caesar was killed, but somehow I know about it.  Go figure.

I don't claim to be an expert on crypto-coins, but as I have already pointed out, all this whining is old history.  You can study up on it too, if you make the effort.

mercSuey

Activity: 364

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 07:52:12 PM

One person with a GPU/cluster is the mining equivalent of a monopoly.  There's a reason regulatory agencies' sole purpose is to ensure non-monopolistic business practices in the private sector.  It's unfair both from a competitive standpoint as well as from an open source/p2p standpoint.  Was I thrilled about spending $6k for my 10mh GPU setup so to stay competitive with other miners, earlier this year? No, but I wanted to get involved with cryptocoins as more than just a hobby.  The technology and agorist motivations resonate with me.  The point is, the opportunity to expand into GPU mining was open, financial prerequisites notwithstanding.
xyzzy099
Legendary

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 07:57:58 PM

One person with a GPU/cluster is the mining equivalent of a monopoly.  There's a reason regulatory agencies' sole purpose is to ensure non-monopolistic business practices in the private sector.  It's unfair both from a competitive standpoint as well as from an open source/p2p standpoint.  Was I thrilled about spending $6k for my 10mh GPU setup so to stay competitive with other miners, earlier this year? No, but I wanted to get involved with cryptocoins as more than just a hobby.  The technology and agorist motivations resonate with me.  The point is, the opportunity to expand into GPU mining was open, financial prerequisites notwithstanding.

It's not a monopoly if there is nothing stopping you or others from duplicating the effort yourself.  Anybody with sufficient technical expertise could do this if they chose to do so, and others will - regardless of what happens with this effort.  Even if there may be a short while where one party has a GPU miner, and no one else, that situation will only persist briefly until someone else with the necessary skill finds it worthwhile to make the effort to change that.

TheSwede75

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 08:04:15 PM

It's not a monopoly if there is nothing stopping you or others from duplicating the effort yourself.  Anybody with sufficient technical expertise could do this if they chose to do so, and others will - regardless of what happens with this effort.  Even if there may be a short while where one party has a GPU miner, and no one else, that situation will only persist briefly until someone else with the necessary skill finds it worthwhile to make the effort to change that.

I can only assume you have never heard of a 51% attack or what happens when a coin forks. A single GPU cluster = 51% instantly. Have fun with that.
mtrlt (OP)

Activity: 104
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 08:07:26 PM

How fast is the miner going to be?

It is very difficult to say at this point. Some people have/had a bounty for a CUDA miner that is twice the speed of the CPU miner. I think that's definitely achievable.

about what speed are we talking?

please give us a more concrete example: what can a HD6990 do or a HD 5850 or a HD 7950 - in PPS please...
round-about-numbers...

I will have numbers in a few days. I don't want to make baseless claims.
xyzzy099
Legendary

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 08:09:10 PM

I can only assume you have never heard of a 51% attack or what happens when a coin forks. A single GPU cluster = 51% instantly. Have fun with that.

Why didn't that happen to bitcoin when the first GPU miner was created?  It sounds like you believe that the very existence of any crypto-coin is dependent on the technical elite being good people who are not greedy.  If you are right, there is no way any crypto-coin can last over time.  Better sell all you have right now.

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 »
  Print  

Jump to: