Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 05:39:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XPM] Working on a GPU miner for Primecoin  (Read 102748 times)
LZ
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1072

P2P Cryptocurrency

View Profile
July 22, 2013, 01:24:51 AM

Will it be open source? I can donate in this case.

My OpenPGP fingerprint: 5099EB8C0F2E68C63B4ECBB9A9D0993E04143362
illpoet

Activity: 341
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 22, 2013, 01:37:32 AM

whilst it may seem on the greedy side on the other hand coding is a big pain in the ass so he should get paid something for coding it.   the other alternative would be to code it in secret and just take all the primecoins, which is more risky for collapsing the coin than making it gpu minable imo.  I think gpu mining will short term drop the price.  As the difficulty skyrockets and reward per block plummets each individual primecoin will become very valuable.  that being said i can't donate cause i traded all my bitcoins for block eruptors. and it would seem the smarter move to hang on to that bitcoin and just buy up what you would've mined in xpm that first week. 

Tym's Get Rich Slow scheme: plse send .00001 to
btc: 1DKRaNUnMQkeby6Dk1d8e6fRczSrTEhd8p ltc: LV4Udu7x9aLs28MoMCzsvVGKJbSmrHESnt
thank you.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2013, 01:44:24 AM

It can definitely be done. It's simply a matter of how skilled the programmer is.
If we could find an software engineer this would have been done already, but..

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
digitalindustry

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

‘Try to be nice’

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2013, 02:43:25 AM

Serious I love you lovable guys but quit crying its 1 BTC , I will donate , he is the software developer , he already has donations , after this point I'd suggest the developer move to a on forum contribution with developers and donations helping the software improve .

Lets see if the free market can Do a better job .

The idea would be donations are pooled , in an escrow then any contributors of code to improve it will divvy it up at the release of the next patch .

Of some such similar thing.

- Twitter @Kolin_Quark
dudeguy

Activity: 182
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 22, 2013, 03:14:43 PM

Serious I love you lovable guys but quit crying its 1 BTC , I will donate , he is the software developer , he already has donations , after this point I'd suggest the developer move to a on forum contribution with developers and donations helping the software improve .

Lets see if the free market can Do a better job .

The idea would be donations are pooled , in an escrow then any contributors of code to improve it will divvy it up at the release of the next patch .

Of some such similar thing.

3 7870s all at 401KH/s a piece (I know XPM is not scrypt POW).

Will I make my 1BTC back in the 3-7 days this beta miner is public?
redphlegm

Activity: 246

My spoon is too big!

View Profile
July 22, 2013, 03:36:43 PM

I can't help but feel this is a really bad idea for the value of the coin in general. Donators get it, word gets out (or a rumor) that the miner is done, and those who didn't get the GPU miner feel slighted and clearly inadequate because they're at a disadvantage so they stop mining since their contributions plummet. This concentrates the mining even more to those with the GPU miner and it becomes more centralized, leading to further disillusionment with xpm. This could abate over time, but in the world of cryptocoins, a week is an eternity (especially with new coins). A day or two head start I could maybe swallow but I think a week would be too much and ultimately detrimental.

Whiskey Fund: (BTC) 1whiSKeYMRevsJMAQwU8NY1YhvPPMjTbM | (Ψ) ALcoHoLsKUfdmGfHVXEShtqrEkasihVyqW
usahero

Activity: 434

View Profile
July 22, 2013, 04:45:18 PM

I can't help but feel this is a really bad idea for the value of the coin in general. Donators get it, word gets out (or a rumor) that the miner is done, and those who didn't get the GPU miner feel slighted and clearly inadequate because they're at a disadvantage so they stop mining since their contributions plummet. This concentrates the mining even more to those with the GPU miner and it becomes more centralized, leading to further disillusionment with xpm. This could abate over time, but in the world of cryptocoins, a week is an eternity (especially with new coins). A day or two head start I could maybe swallow but I think a week would be too much and ultimately detrimental.

Its similar to asic and things around asic, but I trust mtrlt much more than asic creators. Also 1 btc donation he deserves only for his previous work - creating open source scrypt miner - bringing "asic proof" thing to gpu's.
redphlegm

Activity: 246

My spoon is too big!

View Profile
July 22, 2013, 04:51:24 PM

Its similar to asic and things around asic, but I trust mtrlt much more than asic creators. Also 1 btc donation he deserves only for his previous work - creating open source scrypt miner - bringing "asic proof" thing to gpu's.

Oh, I'm fully behind mtrlt for sure. I also agree that he should get some spoils for his work. It's just the pre-release for donations that worries me a little. I'd be more in favor of a public / open source bounty with escrow, but that's just me.

Whiskey Fund: (BTC) 1whiSKeYMRevsJMAQwU8NY1YhvPPMjTbM | (Ψ) ALcoHoLsKUfdmGfHVXEShtqrEkasihVyqW
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
July 22, 2013, 05:00:09 PM

Any news on progress?  Projected release is it still on time?
ReCat

Activity: 406

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2013, 06:29:44 PM

It can definitely be done. It's simply a matter of how skilled the programmer is.

There's tons of professional software engieneers on the forums. It's just that they don't wanna do it cause they gotta do their job. Tongue 2+ grand ought to be enough of a budget to get some engineers to develop it though...

BTC: 1recatirpHBjR9sxgabB3RDtM6TgntYUW
Hold onto what you love with all your might, Because you can never know when - Oh. What you love is now gone.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2013, 07:58:24 PM

There's tons of professional software engieneers on the forums. It's just that they don't wanna do it cause they gotta do their job. Tongue 2+ grand ought to be enough of a budget to get some engineers to develop it though...
Tons? You got to be kidding. Their numbers are limited in the whole world not to mention here.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
BazkieBumpercar

Activity: 415

View Profile
July 22, 2013, 10:53:15 PM

Depends on your definition of limited.. there sure are 100,000+ people in the world who could code this; but I agree with ReCat. It would take coders that are also into mathematics and OpenCL; those are scarce, but certainly not unique. Time is the main problem here, think about it.. adequate coders usually have a busy job to work on, and a GPU miner would, from scratch, for 1 person, take quite some weeks to code.
hasle2

Activity: 122
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 23, 2013, 01:05:53 AM

Tons? You got to be kidding. Their numbers are limited in the whole world not to mention here.

The issue is that to develop a good gpu miner for primecoin they would need to have a good grasp of c++ and its tooling, writing code for gpus, and the mathematics and computer science behind the mining algorithm. There are many developers just not that many that fit all those requirements.

I may look into it this week if the continues to be no progress on either of the two miners, mtrlt's and primediggers. No updates on either since Friday. Too busy with work, family and mining right now. Not that optimistic though because I am weak in c++ and know nothing about gpu coding and if it was easy there would already be one out there publicly.
leif1981

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2013, 01:11:16 AM

GPU is no good
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 23, 2013, 01:16:29 AM

GPU is no good

"Good" is a value judgement that everyone defines differently.  Perhaps you could explain what you mean by "no good".

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
FiiNALiZE

Activity: 868
Merit: 500

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
July 23, 2013, 01:17:52 AM

GPU is no good

"Good" is a value judgement that everyone defines differently.  Perhaps you could explain what you mean by "no good".

Most likely spam posting to get his post/activity count higher.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
ReCat

Activity: 406

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2013, 02:14:07 AM

How did he get out of the newb section without 10 posts?

BTC: 1recatirpHBjR9sxgabB3RDtM6TgntYUW
Hold onto what you love with all your might, Because you can never know when - Oh. What you love is now gone.
mingmuang

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 23, 2013, 07:13:51 AM

How did he get out of the newb section without 10 posts?
I don't think you need 10 .-.
mtrlt (OP)

Activity: 104
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 23, 2013, 12:28:27 PM
Last edit: July 23, 2013, 01:24:34 PM by mtrlt

Reaper can now mine and submit blocks (EDIT: Clarification: using the CPU, not the GPU yet). However, there are some bugs left that make 80% of all blocks found invalid. Tongue

I will now start writing GPU code, and fix the bugs later.
paulthetafy

Activity: 820

View Profile
July 23, 2013, 12:32:59 PM

Reaper can now mine and submit blocks. However, there are some bugs left that make 80% of all blocks found invalid. Tongue

I will now start writing GPU code, and fix the bugs later.
That's great news!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 »
  Print  

Jump to: