Bitcoin Forum
June 06, 2024, 06:33:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Repeal of Net neutrality - effects on miners  (Read 406 times)
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 08:35:24 PM

Try to get money from miners is a fail - they'll just shove them into OTHER ISP options, since we don't NEED high-speed Internet to mine with.

The ISPs are far more worried about the impact of HIGH VOLUME USAGE stuff that forces them to spend money for infrastructure upgrades - which have a MUCH MUCH HIGHER impact on their bottom line than trying to get a few $ out of "miners".

Also keep in mind that outside the "3 cheap electric" counties in Central Washington, miner density is LOW in the US - there aren't enough "miners" using most ISPs outside of this area to make it profitable to TRY to chase forcing them to pay more - and there are MAJOR legal issues with the whole "special fee just for miners" concept that will probably COST an ISP that does that sort of stupid thing a ton more than they could make from it.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
dlezama

Activity: 140
Merit: 17

View Profile
January 11, 2018, 12:48:48 AM

Try to get money from miners is a fail - they'll just shove them into OTHER ISP options, since we don't NEED high-speed Internet to mine with.

The ISPs are far more worried about the impact of HIGH VOLUME USAGE stuff that forces them to spend money for infrastructure upgrades - which have a MUCH MUCH HIGHER impact on their bottom line than trying to get a few $ out of "miners".

Also keep in mind that outside the "3 cheap electric" counties in Central Washington, miner density is LOW in the US - there aren't enough "miners" using most ISPs outside of this area to make it profitable to TRY to chase forcing them to pay more - and there are MAJOR legal issues with the whole "special fee just for miners" concept that will probably COST an ISP that does that sort of stupid thing a ton more than they could make from it.

You are ignoring the small detail that in many places there is no competition. What other ISP options? I can choose Comcast or no Internet. I agree it is highly unlikely that ISPs won't go after miners, but the reason is not that "they don't generate traffic so we'll leave them alone" it's "I see no way of getting a fuck ton of money out of them without getting into too much trouble". Nothing good comes out of private companies securing monopolies.
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
January 11, 2018, 07:55:12 PM

There are VERY few places that have no competition at all - virtually NONE in the US.

You are NOT limited to cable or DSL - you also have Sat service (Exceed worked fine for me for 2 YEARS of mining, abet at a cost of perhaps half a percent higher on stales when mining Bitcoin, NOTICEABLY LESS on anything else), Cellular service usually from A FEW providers, some areas still have DIAL UP available.

I'd be willing to BET you actually have at least 4 and more likely 6-8 actual ISP options, if you don't insist on "I gotta have HUGE BANDWIDTH" when mining doesn't need it.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: