Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 03:54:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BFL ASIC mining board project  (Read 36449 times)
MrTeal (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 05:01:21 PM
Last edit: December 25, 2014, 12:05:24 AM by MrTeal

I'm branching this off from the old group buy thread, as that has a lot of posts that just aren't that applicable to the actual board design.

Project Description
This project is being developed by Mr Teal and Chip Geek, with the purpose to provide a high performance mining platform for the Butterfly Labs ASICs. By leveraging existing infrastructure in the PC space, the plan is to provide the chips with high levels of thermal and power headroom without spiraling cost out of control.
Once the design is proven, orders for the boards will begin. Chips can either be ordered through myself, or you can order chips and have them resent to us to have them populated onto miners.

Product Description
The final design is still under development, but it will broadly incorporate the following features.
  • 8 chips - nominally 30GH/s, extra hashrate depends on grade
  • Dynamic clock and voltage control
  • USB control, 12V 6pin PCIe for power
  • Hole spacing designed to allow many standard CPU coolers to cover the ASICs
  • 3 or 4 phase VRM capable of providing well excess of 100A to the ASICs
  • Each module will be designed to be run stand alone, or chained together through a single USB port
  • Preliminary size ~ 100mm x 150mm, standard 3.5" HDD footprint
Pricing is still up in the air and will depend on many factors that will be clarified in testing, but a good estimate would be $300 for an 8 chip solution.

Test Board Description
A test board has been designed to test the BFL ASICs, and is slated to be done manufacture July 18th. It incorporates a 3 phase VRM, many extra test and debug features, and space for 4 or 1 ASIC.

The primary aspects that testing will focus on will be:
1. Validating the design and the power supply, testing the current limits and temperature rises.
2. Ensure the microcontroller maintains safe control of voltage with no unexpected excursions.
3. Test the microcontroller, verify the code base and communication with peripherals.
4. Test ASIC communication, and hashing.
5. Characterize the BFL chip, examining the chaining of Done signals, whether the onboard temperature diode works, and external clocking.
6. Test board chaining using the Zlink (chaining) interface

Project Status
Done:
June 1st - BFL announces chip sales, basic design ideas begin
June 16th - Group buy initiated
June 22nd - Group buy order placed
July 3rd - Sample chips shipped
July 12th - Samples received, final PCB review
July 14th - Test PCB sent for manufacture
July 18th - Estimated PCB ship date
Upcoming Estimates:
Week of July 22th to 28th - Begin building and testing of PCBs
Week of July 29th to August 4th - Continue testing, incorporate results into the production version
Week of August 5th to 11th - Begin taking orders for PCB sales, send out a small quantity of production boards for manufacture, finalize assembly information
Week of August 12th to 18th - Receive and build production test boards. Test, and if necessary, modify and respin board
Week of August 19th and beyond - Prepare for production, further testing and rework if needed, extra lead time. Final PCBs produced. Components ordered and stocked.
Mid September - Chips arrive and head to assembly

Feel free to ask any questions, and I will keep everyone updated as milestones are retired and the project goes along.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
felente

Activity: 147
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 05:21:21 PM

hm... interesting.
good luck
Beastlymac

Activity: 630
Merit: 501

Miner Setup And Reviews. WASP Rep.

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 05:26:09 PM

Looks promising. Good luck.

Message me if you have any problems
kosmokramer

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

The Assman: CEO of Vandelay Import/Export, Inc.

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 05:28:10 PM

MrTeal, this looks great! Keep up the excellent work.

If you have a list of users looking to have units assembled by you (self-supplied chips), please add me to it.

firstbits: 1kosmo | PGP Public Key
Flashman

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

Hodl!

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 05:30:02 PM

Keeping an eye on this still, hope I'm not too late by the time my liquidity situation eases.

TL;DR See Spot run. Run Spot run. .... .... Freelance interweb comedian, for teh lulz >>> 1MqAAR4XkJWfDt367hVTv5SstPZ54Fwse6

Bitcoin Custodian: Keeping BTC away from weak heads since Feb '13, adopter of homeless bitcoins.
daemonfox

Activity: 630

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 05:30:45 PM

Excellent update MrTeal.

Just one thing, that I hope I did not miss somehwere else... when is the time frame for the remainder of the 50% BTC for those who participated in your chip buy. I have yet to see or hear when I am supposed to send the remainder of my half for the chips. Or is that just incorporated into the final payment you need to assemble and ship a working unit?

H

¦¦¦                 
            ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦         
          ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦       
        ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦         
      ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦           ¦           
     ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦                     ¦¦   
    ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦    ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦        ¦¦¦¦ 
   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦    ¦¦¦¦¦¦
   ¦¦¦¦¦¦   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦    ¦¦¦¦¦  
   ¦¦¦¦¦    ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦   ¦¦¦¦¦¦ 
  ¦¦¦¦¦¦   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦   ¦¦¦¦¦¦ 
  ¦¦¦¦¦¦   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦              ¦¦¦¦¦¦
   ¦¦¦¦¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦    ¦¦¦¦¦¦
   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦    ¦¦¦¦¦ 
   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦    ¦¦¦¦¦¦ 
    ¦¦¦¦¦       ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦     ¦¦¦¦¦¦ 
     ¦¦                      ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦   
              ¦           ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦   
           ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦     
          ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦       
             ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦          

R I Z E N
....ZEN Nodes.... ....Horizen Academy.... ....Help Desk    ....Faucet   
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
Energizer

Activity: 273
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 05:31:42 PM

Watching
jelin1984
Legendary

Activity: 2408

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 05:51:30 PM

Good but price is very high
I think better price will be at 250 dollars or 200 dollars
Foofighter

Activity: 882
Merit: 547

BTC Mining Hardware, Trading and more

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 06:43:39 PM

great work here!

ex official Canaan Distributor (Cryptouniverse)
erk

Activity: 826

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 09:37:34 PM

I like the idea of the 4 chip board, that keeps the heat down to similar levels that CPU coolers were designed for.

Keefe

Activity: 681

View Profile
July 19, 2013, 12:48:37 AM

Would it be feasible to remove BFL ASIC chips from BFL units and put them on your boards? Your board design may end up being more desirable than BFL's, especially for the clock/voltage control.

Flashman

Activity: 518

Hodl!

View Profile
July 19, 2013, 01:05:54 AM

I'd call that feasible but not without risk and cost. Kinda like if you wanna swap hearts with your identical twin.

TL;DR See Spot run. Run Spot run. .... .... Freelance interweb comedian, for teh lulz >>> 1MqAAR4XkJWfDt367hVTv5SstPZ54Fwse6

Bitcoin Custodian: Keeping BTC away from weak heads since Feb '13, adopter of homeless bitcoins.
erk

Activity: 826

View Profile
July 19, 2013, 01:43:10 AM

Would it be feasible to remove BFL ASIC chips from BFL units and put them on your boards? Your board design may end up being more desirable than BFL's, especially for the clock/voltage control.

Without special reworking equipment, you would most likely destroy them.
Wintermute420

Activity: 176
Merit: 100

Mighty Dub

View Profile
July 19, 2013, 01:57:24 AM

Watching
MrTeal (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 19, 2013, 02:37:11 AM

@daemonfox, once everything is ready to take board payments I'll collect both the last half of the ASIC money as well as the board money (unless you just want the ASICs). No point in doing all that twice, and I don't want to take anyone's money until we've demonstrated a working product.
@jelin, I'm sorry you feel that way. We'll try and get the price down as much as possible, but even if it is $300 that is still competitive per GH/s with other board assembly services our there.
@erk, exactly how we implement 8 chips on a board is still up in the air. I would like to put all 8 under a large heatsink simply because it will keep the size down, but we'll have to see how well the chips respond. Getting two LGA1156 heatsinks on a 100mm x 150mm will be impossible.
@keefe, you could remove them, but you would need to reball the ASICs before resoldering them. I don't think it's worth the risk.
dwdoc
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

- - -Caveat Aleo- - -

View Profile
July 19, 2013, 03:00:12 AM

Any chance you will offer cooling installation as an option?

ps-I doubt it but wonder if anyone will offer to provide a hosting service for boards like these...
MrTeal (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 19, 2013, 05:06:10 AM

ps-I doubt it but wonder if anyone will offer to provide a hosting service for boards like these...

Probably. Just because of how mounting the heatsink works, some LGA1156/1155 heatsinks won't work. The ASICs only sit ~1mm off the board while a CPU sits considerably higher, so some heatsinks would sit too high depending on their retention mechanism. As well, some might have small interface areas or weird irregularities that could negatively impact cooling. To take some of that away, we'll probably offer a standard and tested cooler as an option along with the bare populated boards so people can just plug in and go.

I also plan to test the idea of a copper shim/heatspreader to get the height correct so that pretty much any cooler would work. Having another interface will degrade performance a little vs one, but it might be acceptable tradeoff to some people.
shmadz
Legendary

Activity: 1512

@theshmadz

View Profile
July 20, 2013, 03:42:58 AM

Probably. Just because of how mounting the heatsink works, some LGA1156/1155 heatsinks won't work. The ASICs only sit ~1mm off the board while a CPU sits considerably higher, so some heatsinks would sit too high depending on their retention mechanism. As well, some might have small interface areas or weird irregularities that could negatively impact cooling. To take some of that away, we'll probably offer a standard and tested cooler as an option along with the bare populated boards so people can just plug in and go.

I also plan to test the idea of a copper shim/heatspreader to get the height correct so that pretty much any cooler would work. Having another interface will degrade performance a little vs one, but it might be acceptable tradeoff to some people.

I'm sorry to hear that about the height of the chips. I would prefer a design that would allow any standard CPU heatsink to be used. Very interested to see the results of the shim/heatspreader idea... I expect it will be less than optimal but I'd recommend that you make this option available as it would make mounting a water block much easier for those who would like to go that route...

Have you considered a custom designed attachment kit? Perhaps something like a back-plate with a few simple bar springs to apply pressure? I'm thinking that a thermal pad interface is going to be necissary but it would be awesome if you could figure out a way to have a more direct connection using thermal paste...

If you do indeed find that a custom heatsink is necissary, please go with a copper base plate with heatpipes transferring the heat to a large aluminum radiator with fan. pretty much the standard premium heatsink design and in my experience it is extremely effective.

Thanks again for all your hard work, this is a very exciting project and I will be watching with great anticipation.

"You have no moral right to rule us, nor do you possess any methods of enforcement that we have reason to fear." - John Perry Barlow, 1996
MrTeal (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 20, 2013, 09:41:41 AM

I'm sorry to hear that about the height of the chips. I would prefer a design that would allow any standard CPU heatsink to be used. Very interested to see the results of the shim/heatspreader idea... I expect it will be less than optimal but I'd recommend that you make this option available as it would make mounting a water block much easier for those who would like to go that route...

Have you considered a custom designed attachment kit? Perhaps something like a back-plate with a few simple bar springs to apply pressure? I'm thinking that a thermal pad interface is going to be necissary but it would be awesome if you could figure out a way to have a more direct connection using thermal paste...

If you do indeed find that a custom heatsink is necissary, please go with a copper base plate with heatpipes transferring the heat to a large aluminum radiator with fan. pretty much the standard premium heatsink design and in my experience it is extremely effective.

Thanks again for all your hard work, this is a very exciting project and I will be watching with great anticipation.
So would I, but it's just not possible I'm afraid, at least not without a shim or a custom bracket. That being said, there's a lot of great coolers that should just work. I grabbed these from Tom's since they had a 10 cooler LGA1156 roundout that shows great pics of the mounting mechanism.

Arctic Freezer 7 - Would need a custom bracket.

CM Hyper 212+ - Should work, I actually bought one to use

Noctua NH-D14 - Should work, I have one and will test

Scythe Mugen-2 - Looks like it would

I won't show all the pictures, but of the others the Thermaltake Frio, Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme, Xigmatek Thor's Hammer look like they'll work while the Thermalright, Sunbeamtech and Zalman coolers wouldn't. There won't be a custom heatsink; there's no need since many CPU coolers will still work and there's no way I could offer the performance of something like the Hyper 212 Evo for the $30 that Newegg wants for it.
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952

View Profile
July 20, 2013, 08:09:48 PM

So would I, but it's just not possible I'm afraid, at least not without a shim or a custom bracket. That being said, there's a lot of great coolers that should just work. I grabbed these from Tom's since they had a 10 cooler LGA1156 roundout that shows great pics of the mounting mechanism.

Arctic Freezer 7 - Would need a custom bracket.
[img ]http://media.bestofmicro.com/A/Q/236258/original/arctic-cooling_freezer-7-pro-rev2_installed.jpg[/img]

CM Hyper 212+ - Should work, I actually bought one to use
[img ]http://media.bestofmicro.com/A/V/236263/original/cooler-master_hyper-212-plus_installed.jpg[/img]

Noctua NH-D14 - Should work, I have one and will test
[img ]http://media.bestofmicro.com/B/0/236268/original/noctua_nh-d14_installed.jpg[/img]

Scythe Mugen-2 - Looks like it would
[img ]http://media.bestofmicro.com/B/5/236273/original/scythe_mugen-2-rev-b_installed.jpg[/img]

I won't show all the pictures, but of the others the Thermaltake Frio, Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme, Xigmatek Thor's Hammer look like they'll work while the Thermalright, Sunbeamtech and Zalman coolers wouldn't. There won't be a custom heatsink; there's no need since many CPU coolers will still work and there's no way I could offer the performance of something like the Hyper 212 Evo for the $30 that Newegg wants for it.

Would a Hyper 212 eve work? It's a direct heatpipe design, which doesn't really work for a multiple chip design unless you've got some sort of heat spreader between the chips and the heatsink. Otherwise, some chips could be cooled better than others.

The Noctua looks like it isn't a direct heatpipe design, so it might work better by way of not having to use a heat spreader first.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: