Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 06:25:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Gotta love Sh**ty ass EA GAMES!  (Read 1090 times)
Kinetic915 (OP)

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 19, 2013, 06:46:55 PM

So, I was doing some google searching and thought it would be interesting to search my email address.  My posts here at Bitcointalk showed up as well as all my Origin/EA Games account information on a Russian forum.  I was also curious to find THOUSANDS of other users information that had been hacked. 

I was unable to access my Origin account and promptly started a Help Chat. 

I guess their official stance is to tell every user THEY are the problem, rather then admit to any issues with their system.
Binay: https://help.ea.com/article/how-to-maintain-account-security
Binay: https://help.ea.com/article/how-to-stay-safe-online

Binay: Also, let me inform you that origin team is working hard towards increasing security on account.

I feel so warm and fuzzy inside.  Thanks EA.  I am planning on removing all personal information and deleting all accounts associated with EA.

greyhawk

Activity: 952
Merit: 1009

View Profile
July 19, 2013, 07:14:55 PM

Just checked my mail adresses. I am a complete and total unknown.

Are you sure you didn't get your stuff stolen elsewhere? Especially with that horribly horribly unsafe password you were using?
greyhawk

View Profile
July 19, 2013, 07:15:41 PM

Oh come oooooooooooon, duuuude.

You posted your frigging password right here in this post: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=177484.0 and apparently reused it straight over all kinds of accounts.

Come ONNNN!
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2013, 07:22:54 PM

That is pretty stupid Cheesy EA can't be blamed for that even though they have been caught red handed using their DRM to spy on people.
Kinetic915 (OP)

View Profile
July 19, 2013, 08:19:49 PM

Oh come oooooooooooon, duuuude.

You posted your frigging password right here in this post: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=177484.0 and apparently reused it straight over all kinds of accounts.

Come ONNNN!

It is a password I no longer use and is therefore irrelevant.  It looks like the hack took place before I even had an account here.  I hadn't used EA in a bit.  The issue I really had was not with that password, but the gaping hole in their security they try and make you ignore.  The fact there are hundreds of other Origin accounts on this list shows I am not a outlier.

http://kotaku.com/5960503/origin-users-are-suddenly-getting-hacked-a-lot

Kinetic915 (OP)

View Profile
July 19, 2013, 08:20:26 PM

Just checked my mail adresses. I am a complete and total unknown.

Are you sure you didn't get your stuff stolen elsewhere? Especially with that horribly horribly unsafe password you were using?

They only account that was effected was EA.

Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2013, 08:24:53 PM

Be honest though, a games company website isn't particularly important, they're going to have pretty crappy security no matter how you look at it but this is precisely why when you sign up with these companies you use a password that isn't connected to your important stuff and you've reminded me that I should probably change my cryptocurrency stuff just in case because I'm sure there are some linked up passwords from there floating around the internet.

I agree EA is a shitty company and their standards are piss poor, but they can't be blamed because you only used one password.
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1255

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
July 19, 2013, 08:27:33 PM

Kinda suspicious that this guy who wasn't online got immediately online when greyhawk puts a link to his password...

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
greyhawk

View Profile
July 19, 2013, 08:42:02 PM

It is a password I no longer use and is therefore irrelevant.  

That password I linked to is the very one they used to get into your Origin account, so how is it irrelevant?

The most likely scenario is this: you posted your password on a site that is filled to the brim with scammers and fraudsters, namely bitcointalk. One lucky guy saw that and threw it into his automated "Try this username/password-combo with every known interesting system" script, got a positive from Origin then threw it into his list of "dudes I have the Origin login data for". This fits with the timeframe also. You posted your password, two weeks later it's on the Russian site.
Kinetic915 (OP)

View Profile
July 19, 2013, 08:43:26 PM

Be honest though, a games company website isn't particularly important, they're going to have pretty crappy security no matter how you look at it but this is precisely why when you sign up with these companies you use a password that isn't connected to your important stuff and you've reminded me that I should probably change my cryptocurrency stuff just in case because I'm sure there are some linked up passwords from there floating around the internet.

I agree EA is a shitty company and their standards are piss poor, but they can't be blamed because you only used one password.

What do you mean used only one password?  AidadC123 May be a shitty password, but it is one that WASNT connected with anything important.  Most modern systems have 2 layers of security at least when they recognize a unrecognized browser.  If feel like EA hasn't implemented one out of laziness and the need to save money.

greyhawk

View Profile
July 19, 2013, 08:45:31 PM

What do you mean used only one password?  AidadC123 May be a shitty password, but it is one that WASNT connected with anything important.  Most modern systems have 2 layers of security at least when they recognize a unrecognized browser.  If feel like EA hasn't implemented one out of laziness and the need to save money.

It is the one that was used in your Origin account. The Origin account that is so unimportant you made a thread about how very unsafe Origin is.

Here, lemme show ya: https://www.google.de/search?q=AidadC123
Kinetic915 (OP)

View Profile
July 19, 2013, 08:46:55 PM

It is a password I no longer use and is therefore irrelevant.  

That password I linked to is the very one they used to get into your Origin account, so how is it irrelevant?

The most likely scenario is this: you posted your password on a site that is filled to the brim with scammers and fraudsters, namely bitcointalk. One lucky guy saw that and threw it into his automated "Try this username/password-combo with every known interesting system" script, got a positive from Origin then threw it into his list of "dudes I have the Origin login data for". This fits with the timeframe also. You posted your password, two weeks later it's on the Russian site.

At the time of signing up for Origin, in 2009, I had been using different passwords for each account I made.  So it was unique.  Again I am one of hundreds who had their Origin accounts, and solely those accounts stolen.

Kinetic915 (OP)

View Profile
July 19, 2013, 08:51:57 PM

Well the thing is I began to receive emails from Origin in Russian in January.  Before I was a member of this form.  That does not fit the time frame...... I will upload a picture.

greyhawk

View Profile
July 19, 2013, 08:57:54 PM

Tell you what. You should contact Origin and get them to reinstate the account to you.

You'll get a free Battlefield 3 in the process

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/de/user/Kinetic915
greyhawk

View Profile
July 19, 2013, 09:01:00 PM

Also.... I hate to tell you this... but you should kinda flatten and reinstall your Mac what with this happening

I'm having a strange problem where any random program I have open will suddenly jump to 100% + CPU in activity monitor making the CPU temps jump from ~55C to 80 or 90C.
Kinetic915 (OP)

View Profile
July 19, 2013, 09:02:46 PM

Also.... I hate to tell you this... but you should kinda flatten and reinstall your Mac what with this happening

I'm having a strange problem where any random program I have open will suddenly jump to 100% + CPU in activity monitor making the CPU temps jump from ~55C to 80 or 90C.

Are you being serious?  Or just a dick?

greyhawk

View Profile
July 19, 2013, 09:05:54 PM

Are you being serious?  Or just an asshole?

I'm pretty serious. Sounds to me like you may have a malware infection. The 100% thing is not normal and I have ever only seen it with crappily programmed malware.
Kinetic915 (OP)

View Profile
July 19, 2013, 09:08:19 PM

Are you being serious?  Or just an asshole?

I'm pretty serious. Sounds to me like you may have a malware infection. The 100% thing is not normal and I have ever only seen it with crappily programmed malware.

Well sorry for my anger then.  Seemed fairly sarcastic.  Well as far as that problem goes I found reseting the Quick Look client's generator cache with qlmanage -r seems to at least stop it when it does occur.  

I also did these steps:

Temporarily delete Movie.qlgenerator, Audio.qlgenerator, or other qlgenerator bundles in /System/Library/QuickLook, and run qlmanage -r.
Temporarily remove applications shown by qlmanage -p | grep /Applications/.
Disable quicklookd with launchctl unload /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.quicklook.*. The plists are loaded again after you log out and back in.

I found the problem wasn't with the quick look client alone though, the Bitcoin client even acted the same way.  I will take your advice thanks!

Kinetic915 (OP)

View Profile
July 19, 2013, 09:19:57 PM

Heres a pic of the messages in my email: http://postimg.org/image/80w9nphed/

Anyway, just trying to let people know if their information happens to be out there, specifically on that site.  As well as bash EA games, I dislike them despite this incident!

Kinetic915 (OP)

View Profile
July 19, 2013, 09:27:56 PM

Tell you what. You should contact Origin and get them to reinstate the account to you.

You'll get a free Battlefield 3 in the process

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/de/user/Kinetic915

Actually, according to the Russian emails, it looks like someone bought Battlefield Premium for me. Nice!

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: