Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 09:16:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How should you measure profits?  (Read 379 times)
cryptogirls85

Activity: 169
Merit: 10

Trying to be someone... someday

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 01:22:23 PM

Well... I hope when one day I have enough invested in any coin(s) I would probably stick to how much BTC I have... so the higher that value becomes.... the higher the profit in the long run.
I hope it makes sense  Grin

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
penig

Activity: 266
Merit: 13

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 01:29:33 PM

People will go to $ because thats what the headlines are in and they put money in and out in local currency (converted to $).  However, coins diverge from the benchmark BTC value, so you can double $ value while losing BTC, net effect is you lost against holding the same amount in BTC.  People need to switch to using BTC/Satoshis (which oddly is common for small priced coins), starting with setting CoinMarketCap to show BTC.
Blakscorpion

Activity: 215
Merit: 100

CryptoFan

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 01:32:54 PM

Profit is simple to explain. It's what you earn minus what you paid.
To buy bitcoin you had to use FIAT. So calculate how much fiat you spent, and remove this value from the value of your whole portfolio today.
The final value is your profit.
Of course it's a dynamical value if you didn't cashed it back, because your coins will take or loose value. But you can calculate the current profit now.

There are a lot of apps to visualise your portfolio and your profits.

▐▐   ▬▬▬▬▬   DeepOnion   ▬▬▬▬▬   ▌▌
████    40 PUBLIC AIRDROPS COMPLETED    TOR INTEGRATED    ████
▬▬▬▬   (✔) DeepVault Blockchain File Signatures  •  VoteCentral Your Vote Counts  •  deeponion.org   ▬▬▬▬
CryptoBuds
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1042

HODL

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 01:33:25 PM

In the real world I mostly spend fiat so all my portfolios are measured against $. It doesn't look nice at all when you change the settings from $ to BTC Grin

lokinator

Merit: 100

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 01:35:22 PM

I cash out crypto for fiat regularly -- so I always measure my holdings in fiat value. It's always nice to remember that you haven't made any profit until you cash out. Crypto profits are imaginary until you see fiat in the bank account.

DeepOnion    ▬▬  Anonymous and Untraceable  ▬▬    ENJOY YOUR PRIVACY  •  JOIN DEEPONION
▐▐▐▐▐▐▐▐   ANN  Whitepaper  Facebook  Twitter  Telegram  Discord    ▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌
Get $ONION  (✔Cryptopia  ✔KuCoin)  |  VoteCentral  Register NOW!  |  Download DeepOnion
12popi123

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 01:47:09 PM

i always measure in btc. Because i believe in value of bitcoin. Because when i buy alts i buy them with btc not usd
Paradoxall

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 03:44:09 PM

I cash out crypto for fiat regularly -- so I always measure my holdings in fiat value. It's always nice to remember that you haven't made any profit until you cash out. Crypto profits are imaginary until you see fiat in the bank account.

But what about when we will be able to pay almost everything with crypto soon? Then you have vashed out the moment you converted to BTC, LTC, ETH or other accepted currency? How will we measure then?
Trimegistus
Legendary

Activity: 1564
Merit: 1027

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 08:53:42 AM

But what about when we will be able to pay almost everything with crypto soon? Then you have vashed out the moment you converted to BTC, LTC, ETH or other accepted currency? How will we measure then?

We are still very far from the day when will will be able "to pay almost everything with crypto". That would require a huge crypto acceptance and some kind of stable crypto/fiat pairing. That implies heavy crypto regulations. And that is not yet on the horizon...

cryptochr

Merit: 103

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 09:45:21 AM

I usually measure my profits in fiat, as its the currency i use most often. It's probably best this way, especially if you withdraw often from cryptocurrency into fiat.
Valzador

Activity: 1316
Merit: 503

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 09:50:41 AM

Should we measure our investment returns in fiat or in BTC? Does it only depend on when you want to cash out in fiat?
I've been measuring my investment returns in fiat, and it was almost always going up. But when it comes to BTC it actually went down. Should we cash out our alts into bitcoin and accumulate more?

If you're interested in the topic and have similar dilemma, then I recommend you watching this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkKYuoRg6jM
I am more comfortable measuring income with bitcoin as the main reference but when we want to calculate "right" then I refer to the dollar
chrisfatos

Activity: 224
Merit: 104

DIW - Decentralized Security

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 01:23:58 PM

Profit is simple to explain. It's what you earn minus what you paid.
To buy bitcoin you had to use FIAT. So calculate how much fiat you spent, and remove this value from the value of your whole portfolio today.
The final value is your profit.
Of course it's a dynamical value if you didn't cashed it back, because your coins will take or loose value. But you can calculate the current profit now.

There are a lot of apps to visualise your portfolio and your profits.

This is the best way to explain it. Once you deduct the outgoings from the income, that's your profit. You can get apps online to help with calculating your profits and so forth.

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
DIW ◈    DIWtoken.com    ▐   WHITEPAPERANN THREADTELEGRAM   ▌    SECURITY DECENTRALIZED
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Gogochen

Activity: 238
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 01:34:53 PM

I think you should use the French currency, because you will eventually have to sell the bitcoins for the French currency. If your bitcoin has been increasing, but the French currency has been declining, what's the point?

cryptogeek101

Activity: 798
Merit: 250

homt.net

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2017, 01:52:13 PM

Should we measure our investment returns in fiat or in BTC? Does it only depend on when you want to cash out in fiat?
I've been measuring my investment returns in fiat, and it was almost always going up. But when it comes to BTC it actually went down. Should we cash out our alts into bitcoin and accumulate more?

If you're interested in the topic and have similar dilemma, then I recommend you watching this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkKYuoRg6jM

I have watched the video and it's quite interesting. The concept of profit measurement in finance is a wide one. Measuring profit with Bitcoin as the standard is also quite appealing. I believe we could avail ourselves with this great lesson. Fiat currency is becoming outdated because the whole world is going digital. Bitcoin is digital and fast. It's a 4th dimension digital currency. Embrace it!

HOMT