Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 09:30:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How should you measure profits?  (Read 379 times)
jacquelinecr

Activity: 294
Merit: 19

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 03:27:28 PM

I measure in Fiat always because i tend to withdraw in fiat too.
ufalo3

Activity: 462
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 03:30:57 PM

Should we measure our investment returns in fiat or in BTC? Does it only depend on when you want to cash out in fiat?
I've been measuring my investment returns in fiat, and it was almost always going up. But when it comes to BTC it actually went down. Should we cash out our alts into bitcoin and accumulate more?

If you're interested in the topic and have similar dilemma, then I recommend you watching this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkKYuoRg6jM

I measure my profits of investments as a percent for month or year that I get or lose when the price of definite coin changed. This is a correlation of sum of that I had to the money that I have now.
lighpulsar07

Activity: 518
Merit: 271

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 04:18:03 PM
Last edit: December 20, 2017, 05:07:25 PM by lighpulsar07

I measure my profit and loss in terms of bitcoins in a single trade because it is very convenient i'll just compare the initial bitcoin that i have before i bought the coin and bitcoin i have after the i sell that coin but i have a different method measuring my profit/loss ratio for the month i use percentage to measure the profit and loss for the month and convert into dollars sometimes my knowledge in accounting get used in this kind of situations
Albert211994

Activity: 148
Merit: 11

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 04:59:13 PM

It depends, when I am trading altcoins with bitcoin, I measure everthing in cryptocurrency and neglect the equivalent value in dollars. It is easier to see if  you made profit or not if you track it with the same currency you traded it.

If I am trading usd/btc then, everything is measured in dollar value.
melted349

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 05:22:57 PM

Should we measure our investment returns in fiat or in BTC? Does it only depend on when you want to cash out in fiat?
I've been measuring my investment returns in fiat, and it was almost always going up. But when it comes to BTC it actually went down. Should we cash out our alts into bitcoin and accumulate more?

If you're interested in the topic and have similar dilemma, then I recommend you watching this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkKYuoRg6jM

People mostly invest in altcoins in order to accumulate more btc so it makes sense then to measure profits in btc, otherwise what is the point in buying up altcoins over btc?

The only time I really take an interest in fiat profit is when I'm down in btc then I can say to myself at least I'm still doing well in fiat.

this is real that most people are make some fiat and investment in altcoin why because more on this is where we can have a good profit the way we have to make it but in other terms of it what is the best for is having bitcoin also then this is where we are now measure our profit of.
leslie4u

Activity: 868

View Profile
December 21, 2017, 07:34:03 AM

I would go with measuring profit against USD as I trade in USD/BTC. Though I would always recommend to invest in BTC as this is one coin which kind of plays hard on the crypto world. I am also into POS, so the way I see it is the current price at this I want to see vs the price I bought the coins and the bonus here is my stake reward, so end of the day I always get more than what I have invested.

Hope this help.
shidannv

Activity: 201

View Profile
December 21, 2017, 07:37:48 AM

For a ico project, 3x is my expect. As for short- term trading, 50% is my expect. So i like ico better, easy and fruitful.
reypinioco

Activity: 182
Merit: 19

View Profile
December 21, 2017, 07:39:29 AM

when you a buy a coin worth .00001 satoshi for 100 pieces and it pumps to .00003 you have clearly a 200% profit if you sell it right a way do not measure your profits in usd measure it in satoshi because our goal is to trade alts to get more btc thats why you need to calculate it in sats.

Read Our WHITEPAPER              (((     BIDIUM     )))           Pre-ICO Active | Join NOW!
Revolutionizing Auction & Freelance Hiring with a Crypto Exchange Powered by Blockchain
███████████ |     FACEBOOK     |       TWITTER       |     TELEGRAM     | ███████████
NelfiNovita

Activity: 640
Merit: 104

View Profile
December 22, 2017, 01:45:38 PM

I measure the profit from rising market prices if the price is always up I will be faster to invest so that in the future I get more profits because the price is steadily increasing.

NeverSop

Activity: 518
Merit: 11

HODL

View Profile
December 22, 2017, 01:49:41 PM

when you a buy a coin worth .00001 satoshi for 100 pieces and it pumps to .00003 you have clearly a 200% profit if you sell it right a way do not measure your profits in usd measure it in satoshi because our goal is to trade alts to get more btc thats why you need to calculate it in sats.
I usually evaluate profitability when investing in altcoin by converting the bitcoin value at the time of investment and when I sold it. If you buy altcoin at a low price and you sell it when it goes up, while the bitcoin also increases at this point, you will get two profit margins at the same time.

Mister1k

Activity: 896
Merit: 520

View Profile
December 22, 2017, 01:51:13 PM

I measure the profit from rising market prices if the price is always up I will be faster to invest so that in the future I get more profits because the price is steadily increasing.

This is universal thumb rule about investment and returns. You will find the traders always following up the price growth in the chart and keep on investing on the bumping crypto currencies. That following the concern the crypto is the matter for all the investors.
I do have sets the price alert for a week of time completely. Once the price bump or dump, I use to get the notification from the site made with it. In my mobile. That is enough to check about mine.
ZloiRediska

Activity: 672
Merit: 22

View Profile
December 22, 2017, 01:52:19 PM

I mean accounting for my finances in both bitcoin and fiat. it's just that I do not at all render anything and lead the table simply to know how my position is. while investing in altcoyne, my cryptofortal fell into bitcoin and grew up in Fiat.
KuromaYoichi

Activity: 756
Merit: 251

Sovryn - 300-500% APY on USDT Deposit

View Profile
December 22, 2017, 01:52:51 PM

I always measure my profits from trade in againts btc because i used btc to buy it, if i measure it againts usd sometimes it's profit while the value againts btc goes down and that means it's better for me to leave it in btc rather than doing the trade. The only trade that i measure in usd / fiat is bitcoin because i use fiat to buy it at my local exchange.

.The DeFi for Bitcoin Platform.            ███   ███
           ███   ███
          ███   ███
         ███   ███
        ███   ███
       ███   ███
      ███   ███
     ███   ███
    ███   ███
   ███   ███
  ███   ███
 ███   ███
███   ███
▄  ▄██████████████████████▄  ▄
 ▀▄ ▀████████████████████▀ ▄▀
  ▀█ ▀████▀ ▄▄            █▀
   ▀█▄ ▀█ ████████████▀ ▄█▀
     ██▄ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███  ██
      ███      ▀█▄ ▀ ▄██
       ███▄ ▀█████ ▄███
        ████ ▀██▀ ▄███
         ▀███▄  ▄███▀
          ▀███▄ ▀██▀
            ████▄ ▀
             ████▀
              ▀█▀
SOVRYN███   ███
 ███   ███
  ███   ███
   ███   ███
    ███   ███
     ███   ███
      ███   ███
       ███   ███
        ███   ███
         ███   ███
          ███   ███
           ███   ███
            ███   ███
.300% APY on USDT Deposits.
████████████████████████████
████████▀▀▄██████▄▀▀████████
███████  ▀        ▀  ███████
██████                ██████
█████▌   ███    ███   ▐█████
█████▌   ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀   ▐█████
██████                ██████
███████▄  ▀██████▀  ▄███████
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████
NelfiNovita

Activity: 640
Merit: 104

View Profile
December 22, 2017, 01:54:05 PM

I measure it from bitcoin because bitcoin prices continue to increase, then you will get more profit if you entrust your investment in bitcoin, because many people believe in bitcoin, because that's the value is always increasing.

Lanatsa

Activity: 2870
Merit: 657

View Profile
December 22, 2017, 01:55:14 PM

It would normally go down if we do always see or check it on bitcoin form since the value had risen up which it would really decrease in value on btc form.This is why i dont really bother at all to see on btc which i do always see on usd because i can able to track on the profits i do made. This is only my own view and habit regarding on my profits. For sure there are still lots of investors who would always stick on btc conversions.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
linkHA

Activity: 266
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 22, 2017, 02:12:49 PM

As a matter of fact, it should be calculated according to the legal currency, since you are buying it in French currency, so it is reasonable to calculate the price according to the legal currency.

DCC│Distributed Credit Chain
    Empower Credit, Enable Finance   
GithubFacebookMedium ‹‹‹dcc.finance››› RedditTwitterTelegram
yonghongtang

Activity: 483
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 22, 2017, 02:17:31 PM

I think we should measure our investment returns in fiat, but we often hold some of our investments when measuring , we can't sell them all if we want to play in this game .So we can't figure a exact number cuz the price is changing every second.
xaviervilla

Activity: 350

View Profile
December 22, 2017, 04:07:59 PM

An experienced investor that has been in the cryoto world for quite some time already will surely be choosing to measure profits in terms of bitcoins. Since it is what we commonly use to invest in altcoins. Bitcoin's price may drop and rise whem you compare it to fiat since it has great volatility. So if you measure profits in bitcoin, you will surely have great insights as to wether you made great profits on a good investment of not.
cryptoux

Activity: 186
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 22, 2017, 04:26:17 PM

I measured it in satoshis not in usd,because sats are decentralized it can still grow while fiat like usd has fixed value.

Trimegistus
Legendary

Activity: 1564
Merit: 1027

View Profile
December 23, 2017, 11:28:03 AM

I'll keep on measuring my profits in fiat because that's what I use to sustain my daily life and common expenses. The income generated from mining, staking and trading is converted to fiat to pay for my bills.

If there will come a time when I can pay all my bills directly in crypto without the need of a prior conversion to fiat, them I'll star measuring exclusively in crypto.

Until then, fiat is still the reference for me.

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: