Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 04:21:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Exchange rate on top of forum  (Read 900 times)
Kais (OP)

Activity: 193
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 21, 2013, 01:05:01 AM

I would like a small area on the top blue bar of the forum that lists the current exchange rate. Nothing big, maybe just normal text in between "Hello Kais and July 21, 2013, 08:02:48 AM  *"

What do you think?
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
July 21, 2013, 01:15:03 AM

Fwiw, almost every browser has a ticker icon plugin/extension/whatever, and can often be configured for which exchange(s) you want data from, and sometimes will handle alternative virtual currencies like Litecoin, Devcoin, and similar.
Kais (OP)

View Profile
July 21, 2013, 04:42:35 AM

Fwiw, almost every browser has a ticker icon plugin/extension/whatever, and can often be configured for which exchange(s) you want data from, and sometimes will handle alternative virtual currencies like Litecoin, Devcoin, and similar.

I know that, but for some reason Chrome is taking up SO much memory with each tab and extensions (I use three) that I don't want to slow it down anymore. And my Windows Gadget bitcoin ticker hasn't worked for months.
Dougie

Activity: 211

You are not special.

View Profile
July 21, 2013, 06:52:58 AM

You could probably write a javascript addon for your browser too. I use greasemonkey for firefox and I know you don't need any addon for opera. Not sure about chrome though. I try not to get to hung up on the cost but you could just use one of the desktop programs and set it to always on top at the corner of your desktop or something.

Just some alternatives since I don't see this suggestion being implemented.

Lurking since 2011...
1J4DhU3q6RxxCTfAAcg5ExVK6FfxkmzkTH
Moogle

Activity: 238

KUPO!

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2013, 11:02:35 PM

Good suggestion though. I'd like to see it added :-)

TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2013, 12:24:04 AM
Last edit: July 22, 2013, 01:03:46 AM by TheButterZone

Good idea. 24 hour average of all exchanges, currency localized to user.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
gmaxwell
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8382

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2013, 12:55:02 AM

I think it's not a great idea.

Posting the exchange rate furthers the screwed up perception that Bitcoin is just a proxy for the USD. It also encourages more emotional involvement with the price roller coaster.  Over focusing on USD/BTC prices may encourage regulators to argue that Bitcoin isn't its own valuable asset but is instead some kind of shell game to move around USD (which is a crappy argument, but it's made stronger the more people fixate on the exchange rate).

Then you have an issue of _which_ price? There are multiple exchanges, the prices are different... the differences are real and reflect complicated things like people's trust of the exchange itself.  And then even if you look at a single exchange— the last trade price is the last trade price. It may have nothing to do with what you can trade for now, etc.

It's not reasonable for all things, but what I'd like to see is more goods and services being priced actually in Bitcoin without reference to USD, because without that we won't have price stability. Promoting the market prices would be a step in the wrong direction.

Now, if someone wanted some kind of optional ticker thing, sounds fine to me, but you can do that via a browser addon...
Kais (OP)

View Profile
July 22, 2013, 01:36:58 AM

Posting the exchange rate furthers the screwed up perception that Bitcoin is just a proxy for the USD. It also encourages more emotional involvement with the price roller coaster.  Over focusing on USD/BTC prices may encourage regulators to argue that Bitcoin isn't its own valuable asset but is instead some kind of shell game to move around USD (which is a crappy argument, but it's made stronger the more people fixate on the exchange rate).

Then you have an issue of _which_ price? There are multiple exchanges, the prices are different... the differences are real and reflect complicated things like people's trust of the exchange itself.  And then even if you look at a single exchange— the last trade price is the last trade price. It may have nothing to do with what you can trade for now, etc.

It's not reasonable for all things, but what I'd like to see is more goods and services being priced actually in Bitcoin without reference to USD, because without that we won't have price stability. Promoting the market prices would be a step in the wrong direction.

Now, if someone wanted some kind of optional ticker thing, sounds fine to me, but you can do that via a browser addon...

I think I agree. You have a really good point. Anyone who wants to can always check the exchange rate at any time outside of this forum. But to "encourage" what you were talking about, it IS a good idea not to have it here. It makes a lot of sense.

I would still like to have it though  Tongue
tysat
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

Keep it real

View Profile
July 22, 2013, 03:46:31 AM

I think a price ticker on this website isn't needed.  You can get something else to do it yourself, or just check another website.  Why the need to check the price so often anyways?
Kais (OP)

View Profile
July 22, 2013, 07:33:53 AM

I just like to look at it regularly.

I also look at the Thai Baht/USD exchange rate on a regular basis. I guess it has the same purpose. I own: Bitcoins, US Dollars, and Thai Baht. All three are of value to me and I exchange each of them somewhat regularly.
btcton
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1007

View Profile
July 22, 2013, 04:05:57 PM

+1. I don't think it should be in the forums for this. I'll be writing an extension soon for myself in Chrome, but I'll share it if I see anybody else needs it.

The signature campaign posters adding useless redundant fluff to their posts to reach their minimum word count are lowering my IQ.
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
July 22, 2013, 05:01:11 PM

The forums are slow enough without having to poll exchanges every few milliseconds.

Wait, that would actually be pretty funny, when the forums slow to a crawl next mt gox lag. Can you imagine the pure panic?
flipper

Activity: 64
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 23, 2013, 02:09:15 AM

Not a good idea. Tracking btc exchange rate is not the goal of these forums.
bitcoindigi

Activity: 238

View Profile
July 23, 2013, 06:29:33 AM

good idea OP.

there is enough spare space on the top for mtgox/btc-e prices.
btcton
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1007

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 03:52:36 PM

good idea OP.

there is enough spare space on the top for mtgox/btc-e prices.
There are enough reasons as to why not. Check the posts above.

The signature campaign posters adding useless redundant fluff to their posts to reach their minimum word count are lowering my IQ.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: