Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 10:23:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Smidge.Com] - A virtual, actively managed, multi-asset digital currency fund  (Read 28666 times)
CoinBomb

Activity: 179
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2013, 08:18:04 PM

I have, great question. Gaming veterans will know that www.smidge.com was actually launched by myself in 1999 as a games website for the game Interstate'76. It grew into a whole network of gaming sites pretty quick (3d-shooters.com, deltaforce2.com, interstate82.com and several others), with smidge.com being the central site. It had 1,000,000 pageviews per month in the year 2000, which was a pretty big deal back then. You can check out www.archive.org to see snapshots of the good old times Smiley

woah! That's a blast from the past - i'm sure our paths have crossed on a project before. I just wish I could remember what it was! Smiley

Promote our site for no risk BTC / LTC profit! 1% gross profit, LTC/BTC payments weekly. Click through for more details.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Smidge (OP)

Activity: 218

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 04:55:38 AM

I have, great question. Gaming veterans will know that www.smidge.com was actually launched by myself in 1999 as a games website for the game Interstate'76. It grew into a whole network of gaming sites pretty quick (3d-shooters.com, deltaforce2.com, interstate82.com and several others), with smidge.com being the central site. It had 1,000,000 pageviews per month in the year 2000, which was a pretty big deal back then. You can check out www.archive.org to see snapshots of the good old times Smiley

woah! That's a blast from the past - i'm sure our paths have crossed on a project before. I just wish I could remember what it was! Smiley
Hi coinbomb,

It's likely. The "world" was much smaller back then. I use this nickname since the mid-90s, got it from the game Worms (released in 1995). Interstate'76 came out at the end of 1997, Delta Force in 1998. So from the projects I've done in the past, you can expect me to invest quite a lot and stick around for some time...

BTC: 19dB148YewttZRVwF7WF8ZuT7uqnnjibkC
LTC: LPBi1LPqs1MY1tQKQ4wGG6gjwrcszFek6s
Franktank

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 05:08:52 AM

We'll need to flash the Deprived signal here...
Smidge (OP)

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 06:19:31 AM

Hi Franktank,

could you elaborate this one further?

ninjaboon
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2013, 07:36:18 AM

Okeeeeey, i don't want to waste time. "The shareholders of the fund “Smidge.Com A” will hold 765,000.00 shares, while Smidge.Com shareholders will hold 135,000.00 shares." - I'm reading you plan on issuing a few of these com a, com b, com c, etc. But i want more skin in the game, so its better to have shares in smidge.com overall yes? So are you selling shares in smidge.com now or just com.a fund etc.
Hi BitHub,

Good question, thanks. You can think of Smidge.Com as a holding company that operates the funds and owns a minority share in each of them. When a second or third fund is launched, there will be another discounted pre-IPO offering of shares for existing shareholders only (like we are doing now for the first one, publicly) as a reward for early trust. After that, they will be publicly available.

I cannot tell you at this point if we are going to IPO the holding company. It could be a long term option tough, when we reach very broad diversification.

Why not IPO now?
It's easier to manage from sites like havelock or bitfunder than to use email as a transfer process.

Smidge (OP)

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 12:40:20 PM

Announcement - For immediate release

Smidge.Com invests in Ciphermine

Smidge.Com today announced that it has invested 2,500 shares of its own stock of "Smidge.Com A" in CipherMine, a virtual company currently listed on LTC Global, specializing in cryptocoin mining and high-performance computing. The deal was agreed upon in the first week after launch of "Smidge.Com A", a new fund that aims to become the largest digital currency fund by market capitalization.

Kate Craig-Wood, CEO of CipherMine, said, "I am excited to have some of our shares being included in this fund. Virtual crypto-securities are the next frontier of cipherspace financial innovation. As a busy individual with my various enterprises I am looking forward to being able to take advantage of the growth potential in this marketplace without the effort by investing in the fund."

Alex "Smidge" Metz, CEO of Smidge.Com, describes the move as "a long term investment into a promising company led by professionals in the space".

The two companies decided not to disclose financial details of the deal. The share swap will be completed during the week of July 22nd, 2013.

CipherMine (www.ciphermine.com) is a joint venture between leading British IT entrepreneur Kate Craig-wood (aka. woodtech), founder and CEO of Memset, Giles Russel (aka. evilscoop) the man behind EvilMiners, and Ross Martyn and Simon Weald; two systems administrators at Memset. It is listed on LTC Global (www.litecoinglobal.com), specializing in cryptocoin mining (BTC/LTC) and high-performance computing.

Smidge.Com A (www.smidge.com) is a virtual, actively managed, multi-asset digital currency fund announced on July 21st, 2013 by Smidge.Com. The fund is currently pre-IPO, offering direct shares to individuals and companies before going public. It aims to become the largest BTC investment fund by market capitalization.

Smidge (OP)

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 03:43:57 PM

Okeeeeey, i don't want to waste time. "The shareholders of the fund “Smidge.Com A” will hold 765,000.00 shares, while Smidge.Com shareholders will hold 135,000.00 shares." - I'm reading you plan on issuing a few of these com a, com b, com c, etc. But i want more skin in the game, so its better to have shares in smidge.com overall yes? So are you selling shares in smidge.com now or just com.a fund etc.
Hi BitHub,

Good question, thanks. You can think of Smidge.Com as a holding company that operates the funds and owns a minority share in each of them. When a second or third fund is launched, there will be another discounted pre-IPO offering of shares for existing shareholders only (like we are doing now for the first one, publicly) as a reward for early trust. After that, they will be publicly available.

I cannot tell you at this point if we are going to IPO the holding company. It could be a long term option tough, when we reach very broad diversification.

Why not IPO now?
It's easier to manage from sites like havelock or bitfunder than to use email as a transfer process.
Hi ninjaboon,

We are planning an IPO, please consult the business plan/previous posts for more info on our current state. What BitHub was referring to earlier (that you quoted) was IPO'ing the holding company, not the fund(s).

killerstorm
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1015

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 04:01:10 PM

Hi Franktank,

Deprived is a user on this forum, he runs LTC-ATF fund, and appears to be highly competent person, so people trust his opinion. They want his comment on smidge.com.

Chromia: a better dapp platform
Smidge (OP)

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 05:27:46 PM
Last edit: July 24, 2013, 05:53:04 PM by Smidge

Hi Franktank,

Deprived is a user on this forum, he runs LTC-ATF fund, and appears to be highly competent person, so people trust his opinion. They want his comment on smidge.com.
Hi killerstorm,

I know Deprived and the products that he is offering. Actually, a thorough evaluation makes more sense when we have a series of final balance sheets up, which will be posted Sunday. I would welcome an evaluation of the busines plan though. As mentioned in the announcement, feel free to shoot holes in it as you desire so that we can work on improving it with community input as we go along.

MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 06:20:53 PM

You can buy shares here: http://www.smidge.com/?page_id=42

Month old noobs do not make announcements, start funds or any of the rest of the jazz. See here and stfu.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
Smidge (OP)

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 06:39:16 PM

You can buy shares here: http://www.smidge.com/?page_id=42

Month old noobs do not make announcements, start funds or any of the rest of the jazz. See here and stfu.
Hi Mircea,

Been waiting for that one! Even if this was the bible of starting a Bitcoin business, would you care to elaborate in detail what is wrong with our approach?

jmutch

Activity: 196

View Profile
July 25, 2013, 01:36:46 AM

This sounds like a bit of a copy of my managed fund Sandstorm. (link in sig.)

I'm not sure about putting serious money in the hands of someone with only 3 months experience.... I've been doing this for a fair bit longer than this guy who seems to have just popped up. Hell, if you don't trust me go invest in BTCinvest instead.

hot tip: I don't think cipher mine is the best thing to invest in right now....it seems a little overpriced and exposed to LTC which could have serious market implication for ciphermine. But that's just my opinion.

Good luck!!!
Exocyst

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

Science!

View Profile
July 25, 2013, 04:54:24 AM

I'm not sure about putting serious money in the hands of someone with only 3 months experience.... I've been doing this for a fair bit longer than this guy who seems to have just popped up. Hell, if you don't trust me go invest in BTCinvest instead.

hot tip: I don't think cipher mine is the best thing to invest in right now....it seems a little overpriced and exposed to LTC which could have serious market implication for ciphermine. But that's just my opinion.

Good luck!!!

This post should come with a conflict of interest declaration. Stop advertising in other people's threads.

Smidge (OP)

View Profile
July 25, 2013, 04:59:14 AM

Good luck!!!
Hi josh,

I would not really call it a "copy" other than that it is an actively managed fund. Also, despite me not being around for several years, I think we are off to a very professional start, looking at our business plan and how we have been operating so far.

I think there is many differences in our offers, one is our opinion regarding Ciphermine. We are investing in the company's future, not focusing on today's valuation (which is fine btw). If the share price ever comes back down, we will be happy to enlarge positions making an even better deal. That is what investors in long term funds are looking for in a fund manager, amongst other things.

freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
July 25, 2013, 07:03:24 AM

Observing

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
xaviarlol

Activity: 153

View Profile
July 25, 2013, 07:07:15 AM
Last edit: July 25, 2013, 08:30:57 AM by xaviarlol

Good luck!!!

Josh,

While I don't necessarily disagree with what you are saying, I find this very hypocritical of you to post. You also came out of nowhere, had no demonstrable ability to manage a fund portfolio, and provided no proof of past performance. Also, calling a managed fund "copying" your fund is silly, all managed funds are of the same principle. It's like friedcat calling a new miner a copy cat.

Because you are being a jerk, I'll do the same to you - your fund's performance is... let's just say it's definitely nothing to be proud of. so I would probably stop criticizing other people's "lack of experience". I seem to recall your fund making a fraction of the profit as BTCinvest and my fund in the same time period.

PS. Stop calling yourselves CEO's. You run a fund worth a few hundred dollars, mostly made up of your own money. This isn't linkedin.
ArcticWolf

Activity: 196

View Profile
July 25, 2013, 07:16:54 AM

Good luck!!!

Josh,

While I don't necessarily disagree with what you are saying, I find this very hypocritical of you to post. You also came out of nowhere, had no demonstrable ability to manage a fund portfolio, and provided no proof of past performance. Also, calling a managed fund "copying" your fund is silly, all managed funds are of the same principle. It's like friedcat calling a new miner a copy cat.

Because you are being a jerk, I'll do the same to you - your fund's performance is... let's just say it's definitely nothing to be proud of. so I would probably stop criticizing other people's "lack of experience". I seem to recall your fund making a fraction of the profit as BTCinvest and my fund in the same time period.

https://www.crypto-trade.com/ref/arcticwolf Try CryptoTrade.com, a new exchange for trading Currencies and Securities
ranlo
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1007

View Profile
July 25, 2013, 10:00:25 AM

Tagging the thread to follow along with it... I like the idea... questionable about the execution and knowledge. Even having knowledge in other markets is very different from one based on BTC, especially with its high volatility and all the unknowns floating around with regards to government intervention.

https://nanogames.io/i-bctalk-n/
Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
deadgiveaway

Activity: 182

View Profile
July 25, 2013, 11:13:05 AM

I once owned a website with 1,000,000+ pageviews a month, and have traded stocks since 2004. Can I raise thousands of dollars in Bitcoins, too? Please let me know, thanks.
ajk
Donator

Activity: 447
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 25, 2013, 12:37:53 PM

I am curious

Are you buying shares of Ciphermine directly from Kate or from the market? Would be nice if you had to use the market since this would be more beneficial to shareholders / Ciphermine

also, Do you have any trade history that is verifiable? I noticed that you said you are an accountant and that is a bit of a different line of work than being a full time investor managing close to a 750,000 USD equivalent in cryptocurrencies
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: