Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 03:54:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Idea: Portable Bitcoin  (Read 13282 times)
Sabunir (OP)

Activity: 41
Merit: 13

View Profile
January 24, 2010, 10:48:30 PM

It occurred to me: Bitcoin is supposed to be about anonymity. Couldn't one further protect their anonymity if they could use Bitcoin from any random computer, not just their own? In other words, why not make Bitcoin a Portable App?

At the moment, the Bitcoin wallet resides in %appdata%\Bitcoin. For a Portable Bitcoin, it'd need to be saved on the flash drive.

This would raise additional security concerns, naturally. Most notably, what if the random computer tried to copy your wallet from the flash drive? The wallet would need to be encrypted. So it would be a good idea if wallet encryption was added, and the user had to enter the wallet's password to access it. Bitcoin would also have to be careful not to store the plaintext wallet in memory, in case the random computer was spying on its memory.

What do you think?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
The Madhatter

Activity: 490
Merit: 509

My avatar pic says it all

View Profile
January 24, 2010, 11:31:48 PM

You are much better off with a secured laptop/netbook. That way you can be sure that there aren't any trojans (keyloggers/wallet theft-type bugs). Take the laptop/netbook to your favorite coffeeshops/schools/etc and spend away! Tongue

Cheers!
riX

Activity: 326
Merit: 252

View Profile
January 25, 2010, 10:36:57 PM

Nothing is ever really secure, especially not a laptop that is connected to unencrypted wLANs regularly Tongue

For ie. online banking, I use a virtual machine running inside another vM which is functioning as a firewall. The firewall only permits connections to my banks ip through https. Note that the https part is important to protect against MITM attacks (think about that when you use public WiFi).

OT: use the -datadir switch with bitcoin.exe to choose the location of wallet.dat. Use truecrypt for your flash-drive.

Sorry, I can't help you with your lost password.

PGP key: 0x9F31802C79642F25
Sabunir (OP)

Activity: 41
Merit: 13

View Profile
January 26, 2010, 02:54:39 AM

I believe I understand. Can the -datadir path be relative? That is, if the wallet.dat file is in the same directory as bitcoin.exe, would one execute "bitcoin.exe -datadir ./"?
riX

Activity: 326
Merit: 252

View Profile
January 26, 2010, 01:00:50 PM

An absolute path is required, at least under windows. You can do something like bitcoin.exe -datadir="%cd%"

Here is my current batch file for starting bitcoin:
Code:
@echo off

set known-peer-address=mybox.myserver.se

for /f "tokens=1,2*" %%a in ( 'nslookup %known-peer-address%' ) do (
if [%%a]==[Address:] set address=%%b
)

start bitcoin.exe -addnode=%address% -gen -datadir="%cd%\data"

Something similar could be done more elegant in linux.

Sorry, I can't help you with your lost password.

PGP key: 0x9F31802C79642F25
ksd5

Activity: 48
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 12, 2010, 07:40:36 PM

I would really appreciate a portable version of Bitcoin. I could just place the whole application into a TrueCrypt container.
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5166
Merit: 12865

View Profile
July 12, 2010, 08:09:55 PM

Bitcoin would also have to be careful not to store the plaintext wallet in memory, in case the random computer was spying on its memory.

You need to store the wallet in memory to access it. If the computer you're using is compromised, then there's nothing that BitCoin can do to make you secure.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
lachesis

Activity: 210
Merit: 104

View Profile
July 12, 2010, 09:44:21 PM

Allowing -datadir to be relative is a good idea, though. It should be a relatively simple addition to the code.

Bitcoin Calculator | Scallion | GPG Key | WoT Rating | 1QGacAtYA7E8V3BAiM7sgvLg7PZHk5WnYc
Bitcoiner

Activity: 70
Merit: 11

View Profile
July 13, 2010, 12:35:17 AM

KeePass is another example of a portable program that can just be dumped on a USB and utilized from the get go.

Want to thank me for this post? Donate here! Flip your coins over to: 13Cq8AmdrqewatRxEyU2xNuMvegbaLCvEe  Smiley
Xunie

Activity: 132
Merit: 101

View Profile
July 13, 2010, 12:16:03 PM

An absolute path is required, at least under windows. You can do something like bitcoin.exe -datadir="%cd%"

Here is my current batch file for starting bitcoin:
Code:
@echo off

set known-peer-address=mybox.myserver.se

for /f "tokens=1,2*" %%a in ( 'nslookup %known-peer-address%' ) do (
if [%%a]==[Address:] set address=%%b
)

start bitcoin.exe -addnode=%address% -gen -datadir="%cd%\data"

Something similar could be done more elegant in linux.

As demonstrated here by riX, it is possible to run Bitcoin standalone or "portable", on a USB thumb drive.
It is possible to have that USB thumb drive encrypted. Ofcourse it doesn't have to be a thumb drive but can be an external harddrive too!

It just requires some batch scripting, maybe we should release a batchscript with it called "standalone.bat" which will use -datadir=./.bitcoin and thus search for it on the USB thumb drive?

Ignore this: 734d417914faa443d74e8205f639dfb0f79fdc44988ecae44db31e5636525afe

Caffeinism -- a toxic condition caused by excessive ingestion of coffee and other caffeine-containing beverage.
Cereberus
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 03, 2017, 09:04:00 PM

This idea is very much achievable. Cost is only 15-25 Euro of a HW.1 Ledger hardware wallet. This wallet is a USB key which together with your PIN and SECURITY card can be used at any computer. Just have this loaded with bitcoin and use it at any pc capable of having google chrome ledger APP installed. Keeping your HW.1 and Security card with you is always possible as they are both very small to be put in any pocket.

I do this a lot when I exchange my bitcoin to cash with my friends. It's simple.

██    ██    ██    ██
  ██    ██    ██    ██
██    ██    ██    ██
              ██    ██
            ██    ██
          ██    ██
        ██    ██
      ██    ██       
    ██    ██    ██    ██
  ██    ██    ██    ██
██    ██    ██    ██
TRADEPLAYZ
█ 
█ 
█     
█  █
█  █ 
█  █ 
█  █
    █  █
  █  █
  █  █
        █
    █
      █   
TOURNAMENT PVP SYSTEM
  FACEBOOK |  TWITTER  |  LINKEDIN  |  TELEGRAM  |  GITHUB  |  ANN  | INSTAGRAM 

█ 
█ 
█     
█  █
█  █ 
█  █ 
█  █
    █  █
  █  █
  █  █
        █
    █
      █   

█▄
                     ████▄
                     ██████▄
                     ████████▄
                     ██████████▄
                     ████████████▄
                     ██████████████▄
                     ███████████████
                     ██████████████▀
                     ████████████▀
                     ██████████▀
                     ████████▀
                     ██████▀
                     ████▀
                     █
█▀
GOOGLE PLAY

▄█████████████▄
                            ███████████████
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            ██████▀▀▀██████
                             ▀████▄▄▄▄████▀
  APPSTORE
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 4412

View Profile
January 03, 2017, 09:48:02 PM

This idea is very much achievable. Cost is only 15-25 Euro of a HW.1 Ledger hardware wallet. This wallet is a USB key which together with your PIN and SECURITY card can be used at any computer. Just have this loaded with bitcoin and use it at any pc capable of having google chrome ledger APP installed. Keeping your HW.1 and Security card with you is always possible as they are both very small to be put in any pocket.

I do this a lot when I exchange my bitcoin to cash with my friends. It's simple.

i highlighted the fatal flaw in hardware wallets.

by the way can you sig spammers stop bringing necro-ed topics back to life just to spam nonsense.
can someone lock these threads or can forum mods stop spammers from bringing dead topics back to life

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Velkro
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 1014

View Profile
January 03, 2017, 10:23:47 PM

It occurred to me: Bitcoin is supposed to be about anonymity. Couldn't one further protect their anonymity if they could use Bitcoin from any random computer, not just their own?
There are already portable bitcoin software, like smartphone apps/wallets.
Bitcoin is portable as much as it can be, it couldn't be more portable because only sky is the limit. Programmers can do almost anything with it now.

Security is independent from that, any software u use, more portable or less, you should know what you are doing.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: