Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 10:50:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: altcoins investing - Earn dollar and lose btc  (Read 295 times)
holden.commodore (OP)

Activity: 287
Merit: 101

View Profile
December 17, 2017, 12:19:46 AM

Most of the altcoins are losing and will continue to lose value in btc to balance their prices in dollar.
So if you are thinking to invest in altcoins for the long tem, keep that in mind. You might even be in profit, but your 1 btc today can become 0.5 btc when investing in altcoins.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Dullmartini

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 17, 2017, 03:22:27 AM

I’m not sure I totally agrre with that. If you look at coin market cap you see everyday that some alts grow faster than btc. The key is to look at the satoshi price to see if you’ve made a profit and not the dollar price (unless you’re exiting the market and converting into fiat immediately).
slyfox

Activity: 350
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 17, 2017, 05:47:15 AM

I’m not sure I totally agrre with that. If you look at coin market cap you see everyday that some alts grow faster than btc. The key is to look at the satoshi price to see if you’ve made a profit and not the dollar price (unless you’re exiting the market and converting into fiat immediately).
That is the risk of investing in alts, when you invest in bitcoin you only need to worry about the price of bitcoin against the dollar, but when it comes to alts you may have great profits, but if bitcoin grows faster then you are losing money in the short term.
kensaii

Activity: 396
Merit: 106

View Profile
December 17, 2017, 06:49:50 AM

Most of the altcoins are losing and will continue to lose value in btc to balance their prices in dollar.
So if you are thinking to invest in altcoins for the long tem, keep that in mind. You might even be in profit, but your 1 btc today can become 0.5 btc when investing in altcoins.
Timing is what you're saying. Pull out before the BTC wake up is the best course of action for altcoins holder.
nsasuiteb

Activity: 406

BAILOUT

View Profile
December 17, 2017, 07:50:29 AM

I think bitcoin is overpriced, its actual price must be like $7000-8000 not more, so this is because of that bitcoin is overpriced. In summer, btc was low, altcoins were high. This is a loop

COINTRADINGTIPS

Activity: 60
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 17, 2017, 07:54:50 AM

I completely agreed with that. Only you need to trade alts for short term increase your btc and exit. Only few alts outperformed the market else rest of them help you to loose btc.
inferno0619

Activity: 1

View Profile
December 17, 2017, 11:53:24 PM

Still kind of confused regarding all of this. So if I invested 1k USD in xrp ripple, and the price of it goes from .70 to 1.00 USD and during that time, BTC rises to 25,000 USD, when I trade ripple back for BTC, I would end up with less money then?
Marekeke

Activity: 30

View Profile
December 18, 2017, 12:03:52 AM

In general you should balance your portfolio. For me it is 65% BTC and 35% Alts.
It is true that BTC outperforms almost all Alts long term. Alts are especially good when BTC goes sideways or consolidates for a bit. If BTC is on a bull run I am more like 80% BTC and 20% alts.
oxonhu

Activity: 336
Merit: 111

View Profile
December 18, 2017, 12:30:53 AM

this is what im saying for long time. you can make $ but you will lose your btc in the end of day. if btc stop to rise than we can make more btc by  trading alts but btc was 4k on september and now its hitting 20k and people selling their alts suddenly when btc is rising. so you lose your btc so easy. you can still make some profit by trading alts but you must be careful

srqrebel

Activity: 256

View Profile
December 18, 2017, 12:39:43 AM

Some alt coins actually outperform Bitcoin - at least part of the time.  For example, Spectrecoin has sharply outperformed Bitcoin for the past four days.  It will probably continue to do so for a while longer, now that it is getting some well deserved attention.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ▬▬     SPECTRECOIN     ▬▬ ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Native TOR+OBFS4  ●  Mobile & Stealth Staking Soon!  ●  Ghost Protocol
XSPEC Slack  ◆   Website  ◆  Twitter  ◆  Facebook  ◆  Reddit  ◆  Telegram
shinjunobi09

Activity: 126
Merit: 14

View Profile
December 18, 2017, 12:54:56 AM

It's because the price of bitcoin has a huge gap among other coins out there in the cryptocurrency industry but if closely look and done your research on alternate coins then you would see that there is really profiy if you are exchanging it dollars not bitcoin.

gon

Activity: 460
Merit: 251

View Profile
December 18, 2017, 12:56:18 AM

He's right for 99% of coins.
Open the same tabs at coinmarketcap and check the value of almost any coin for few months back and you will see it. Yes, there are few unicorns but in general alts are losing bitcoin value.
icanscript

Activity: 686
Merit: 502

View Profile
December 18, 2017, 01:08:23 AM

Some alt coins actually outperform Bitcoin - at least part of the time.  For example, Spectrecoin has sharply outperformed Bitcoin for the past four days.  It will probably continue to do so for a while longer, now that it is getting some well deserved attention.
XPS is generally a promising coin.
This is the most anonymous coin. It can work through protection environments from the TOR.
XPS is very undervalued by the market.
Lontonbit

Activity: 420
Merit: 108

View Profile
December 18, 2017, 02:30:32 AM

In general you should balance your portfolio. For me it is 65% BTC and 35% Alts.
It is true that BTC outperforms almost all Alts long term. Alts are especially good when BTC goes sideways or consolidates for a bit. If BTC is on a bull run I am more like 80% BTC and 20% alts.
All top 20 Alts have outperformed bitcoin this year

It’s gold for nerds
gmf1000

Activity: 400
Merit: 250

Play2Live presale starts on 5th December

View Profile
December 18, 2017, 02:34:45 AM

that's why today, I don't invest all of my money to BTC or ALT only...

I spend 80% to BTC and 20% to promising ALT...,,, I do believe BTC, as mother of all crypto, should be our 1st investment.. but seing that some alts grow faster than BTC, I humbly spend 20% of my investment money on them ~

PLAY
            ▄██████████████▄
          ▄██▀▀██████████████▄
        ▄██▀    ▀██████████████▄
      ▄██▀        ▀██████████████▄
    ▄██▀   ██████▄  ▀██████████████▄
  ▄██▀          ██    ▀██████████████▄
 ███       ▄█████▀      ███████████████
  ▀██▄    ▐██         ▄██████████████▀
    ▀██▄  ▐██████▌  ▄██████████████▀
      ▀██▄        ▄██████████████▀
        ▀██▄    ▄██████████████▀
          ▀██▄▄██████████████▀
            ▀██████████████▀
LIVE
██████
███▀▀▀
███

███
███▄▄▄
██████
██████
▀▀▀███
███

███
▄▄▄███
██████
benmartin613

Activity: 168

View Profile
December 18, 2017, 05:35:12 AM

your 1 btc today can become 0.5 btc when investing in altcoins.

Correct, investing in alt coins can bring you this result, this is the reason why i dont do much trading in alt coins, the risk involving in having or trading alt coin is so much that profit can be turned in a loss with an instant, for now im sticking to bitcoin and set aside alt coins.
renes

Activity: 532
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 18, 2017, 07:13:58 AM

I think investing or trading altcoins to increase bitcoin amount does not work, there is too much risk involved in it so most lose their btc
Maks123

Activity: 238

View Profile
December 18, 2017, 07:32:31 AM

And why do I need bitcoin then explain. People usually go from bitcoin to alts and not vice versa, but even then, there is only one way to continue to throw their contributions into even better alts to rise. And in this case, reliance on the dollar.

serhiopower

Activity: 423

View Profile
December 18, 2017, 07:34:59 AM

I would rather invest both into altcoins and into bitcoin not to loose the balance and to be be sure about investments
slyfox

Activity: 350

View Profile
December 25, 2017, 11:37:22 PM

I think bitcoin is overpriced, its actual price must be like $7000-8000 not more, so this is because of that bitcoin is overpriced. In summer, btc was low, altcoins were high. This is a loop
It is very unlikely we are going to see bitcoin that cheap and if we do you better hurry up and buy because at those prices bitcoin is going to be a steal and anyone not taking advantage of that opportunity is going to regret it for the rest of their lives.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: