Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 05:02:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: My antminer S9 hashboards keep appearing and dissapearing -HELP  (Read 223 times)
Sandal_Hat (OP)

Activity: 462
Merit: 118

View Profile
December 17, 2017, 03:59:13 AM
Last edit: December 17, 2017, 04:10:34 AM by Sandal_Hat

Mine is antminer S9 14TH Dec Batch.

The miner worked fine fine at first.
Suddenly 1 hashboard missing. It does not xxx. It was just missing. It shows up later, all Os.

I off and on antminer and it re-appeared. I was happy again. I let it mine at default for awhile and it worked fine.
Later on, i changed mining settings to point to my worker. It restarted and only 2 boards work. 1 failed.
I had to soft reset via pressin the reset button to get all 3 boards working again.
It worked at default setting, mining to default worker.
When I changed it to my worker, again only 2 hashoards work.
And further soft resets and reboots result in either 2 hashboards, 1 hashboard or no hashboard working.
I let it try as much as 30mins and it can still detect 0 hashboards at times.

The hashboard never shows xxxx. It either shows up or dont. It always shows all 0000

Is it my control board spoil? Or firmware? It was working fine before. I bought 5 antminers in this batch and the other 4 are fine.
I am using bitmain psu and I have already tested this on 2 bitmain PSU (both new). I still have 1 new one to test on.

I remember it showed crc error = 0 or something while my other working mines shows crc = 0. I will double check on this more when i get back.
The hashboards red light all light up at start and later on only 2 light up, if 2 boards work, etc. Sometimes only 1 work. It is kinda random on restarts.

Odd thing is when 2 hashboards are working, sometimes it it is the middle and left board working (basis the red light on it) and sometimes it is the middle and right board working...most of the time is middle and right board working...wats going on?

Any idea what is wrong pls?

Selling 100 dollar coupons (8units expire 11th June, 14 units expire 1st july) and 125 dollar coupon (2 unit exp 30th June). Selling at 20% of value

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
lightfoot
Legendary

Activity: 3094
Merit: 2239

I fix broken miners. And make holes in teeth :-)

View Profile
December 17, 2017, 05:39:22 AM

Check the voltages at the miner, I wonder if the power supplies are sagging and causing boards to drop out. These things take a lot of power....
Sandal_Hat (OP)

View Profile
December 17, 2017, 07:38:50 AM
Last edit: December 17, 2017, 08:25:34 AM by Sandal_Hat

Check the voltages at the miner, I wonder if the power supplies are sagging and causing boards to drop out. These things take a lot of power....

Do I need a multimeter to do that? This means i should change psu?
I have a spare new psu, unused as it is. And I juz bought 3 new power cords, all rated 13 amp. I rather not use power cords from working miners to re-test.

My 4 other S9 miners from the same shipment order are working fine though and this was working fine just awhile back, sigh.

Sigh, juz changed power cable and tried again. All 3 boards light up at the start over and over for a long time but in the end, only the last 2 board light up and i got 2 boards up and running again. PSU change next. I got a feeling my control board has issues.

Selling 100 dollar coupons (8units expire 11th June, 14 units expire 1st july) and 125 dollar coupon (2 unit exp 30th June). Selling at 20% of value
Sandal_Hat (OP)

View Profile
December 17, 2017, 08:44:16 AM

ok,so i change to yet another new bitmain PSU.

And i measured the watts. All 3 have red lights and light up at the start and at one point, it runs at 15000 watts, with all 3 boards giving red light. And then it goes back to low 100-150 watts and finally, and sadly it juz powers 2 boards yet again, and runs around 1000+ watts...wat gives? I dont get it.

Why does it do that? Now 2 boards are working with the red light and the last one isnt..yet again..... sigh

Anyone had this issue before? It seems it can work at 1500 watts, with 3 hashboards with red light if it wants to but it always does not do so at the last minute.

Sandal_Hat (OP)

View Profile
December 17, 2017, 09:56:35 AM

UPDATE- I got all 3 hashboards working at DEFAULT MODE ONLY!!!

I let it mine for about 15 mins and the moment i change it to my own worker, only 2 hashboards work ....

I had to do https://enforum.bitmain.com/bbs/topics/3957  reset method 3 (which gives a new IP to my miner from my router) followed by reset number 1 to get it to work with 3 hashboards working..but it only mines in default mode that way... zzzzz

So, is this a firmware or control board issue? All 3 boards can mine in default mode to antpool but not to my own worker....
It cant switch worker.

lightfoot
Legendary

View Profile
December 17, 2017, 02:15:59 PM

Well that's interesting. Question: If you switch off antminer to your pool, fail, then switch back to antminer without resetting the board, does it still work?

I see all pools are antminer ones, so that's not it. Maybe Ant wants you to make them rich....

Is this consistent (ie: you can do it multiple times and get the same results)? What if you put the non-solo antminer pool first (still with ant's creds). Try changing one thing at a time till it breaks....

C
Sandal_Hat (OP)

View Profile
December 17, 2017, 03:14:00 PM

Well that's interesting. Question: If you switch off antminer to your pool, fail, then switch back to antminer without resetting the board, does it still work?

I see all pools are antminer ones, so that's not it. Maybe Ant wants you to make them rich....

Is this consistent (ie: you can do it multiple times and get the same results)? What if you put the non-solo antminer pool first (still with ant's creds). Try changing one thing at a time till it breaks....

C

lol. I dont think bitmain wants my 1 hashboard when they have thousands of it lol

I havent tried resetting it back to default pool. I doubt it will work and I dont want anything breaking lol. I wait 5-7 mins before switching off and on as it is.

I believe the problem is that one of my hashboard can hash but can ONLY mine at default settings. That hashboard cannot take new settings. I am not sure why. It was able to do so back then. My other four S9 from the same shipment work fine though.

Back then when it got to this part, poweroff via ssh and switch it on again can lead to either 2 boards, 1 board or no boards being detected. Using the resets will allow mining with 3 boards at default settings or I get 2 boards that I can control, at best. That last board, chain #8 is very hard to see. It only works at default settings but the chips are all 0000 and hashing fine.

Hmmm, I guess it is some kinda control issue or firmware issue???
I did not mess with the firmware and it has the same firmware as my other 4 S9 from the same batch that works fine.

I guess I will open a ticket while reading here. Will update if anything new pops up or if I find a solution.
I hope I dont have to send it back...it looks like some kinda detection issue.

lightfoot
Legendary

View Profile
December 17, 2017, 08:01:17 PM

Worst case you can send it over here and I'll test it on my default rig. Maybe it needs a different code version, but this is not the first time I have heard people say it doesn't work with all three boards at say slushpool. That makes very little sense (unless it is secretly mining bitcoin trash/cash and Antminer is paying out in bitcoins. HMMMMMM)
Sandal_Hat (OP)

View Profile
December 18, 2017, 07:44:06 AM

Worst case you can send it over here and I'll test it on my default rig. Maybe it needs a different code version, but this is not the first time I have heard people say it doesn't work with all three boards at say slushpool. That makes very little sense (unless it is secretly mining bitcoin trash/cash and Antminer is paying out in bitcoins. HMMMMMM)
I am pointing it at antpool.
It doesnt secretly mine anything lol. Not possible considering the watts use is only around 1000 plus. Thats 2 boards wotking only

I rather not send the whoke thing back considering mining rates are good now.
How long does sending it back and return take anyways?

lightfoot
Legendary

View Profile
December 18, 2017, 09:22:56 PM

It doesnt secretly mine anything lol. Not possible considering the watts use is only around 1000 plus. Thats 2 boards wotking only

I don't know for bitmainrepair, but for myself it's usually a few days to a week for turnaround.

C
Sandal_Hat (OP)

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 09:04:49 AM

I don't know for bitmainrepair, but for myself it's usually a few days to a week for turnaround.

C

A few days or a week is not so bad. I will have to send to china since i am in Asia. Bitmain repair is usa right, i think. Thanks for info.

lightfoot
Legendary

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 02:07:59 AM

I meant it's a few days to a week for my repairs. China could be anything......

Meantime I'm having fun. I think Antminer used some crappy oscillators.....
Sandal_Hat (OP)

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 09:04:56 AM
Last edit: December 20, 2017, 12:46:26 PM by Sandal_Hat

Seems I can only get 2 hashboards working. The third one just wont work now, not even at default mining mode sigh. I go update bitmain. A week is reasonable. I got a fren who ship his S9 to hongkong and it took a few days.

I meant it's a few days to a week for my repairs. China could be anything......

Meantime I'm having fun. I think Antminer used some crappy oscillators.....

Hmmm is there anythin that can be done to make this better?

Sandal_Hat (OP)

View Profile
December 21, 2017, 04:44:10 PM

Solution - Apparently changing the ethernet cable SOLVED IT!! All 3 boards appear now and I am surprised that this was the solution. I was using the Ugreen right angle rj45 from china. Not gonna use those anymore.

Sandal_Hat (OP)

View Profile
December 21, 2017, 06:11:44 PM

Maybe this is why it could mine all 3 hashboards on default mode but only 2 hashboards on my worker....there was something wrong with the ethernet cable. I find it weird that it was the solution but this has worked for 2 of my miners... and also worked for woodgiins https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2274299.0

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: