Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 01:59:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Has anyone had a fire in his rigs?  (Read 4304 times)
PEBKAC

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 02, 2013, 09:14:03 AM

About a month ago, I came home from work to find my desktop turned off (i leave it on 24/7) and a foul smell of burnt electronics was still hanging in the room.
One of the voltage regulators around the CPU decided to call it quits and caught fire, taking an inductor and a few capacitors down with it.

Amazingly, after that, the machine still booted up fine, being only slightly unstable under full load.
Being switched on 24/7 probably wasn't the best thing that happened to it. But on the other hand, harddrives do tend to last longer when they aren't turning on and off all the time. Only one harddrive crashed during 6 years.
kuusj98 (OP)

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

I <3 VW Beetles

View Profile
August 02, 2013, 01:48:03 PM

About a month ago, I came home from work to find my desktop turned off (i leave it on 24/7) and a foul smell of burnt electronics was still hanging in the room.
One of the voltage regulators around the CPU decided to call it quits and caught fire, taking an inductor and a few capacitors down with it.

Amazingly, after that, the machine still booted up fine, being only slightly unstable under full load.
Being switched on 24/7 probably wasn't the best thing that happened to it. But on the other hand, harddrives do tend to last longer when they aren't turning on and off all the time. Only one harddrive crashed during 6 years.
interesting
PEBKAC

View Profile
August 02, 2013, 02:05:02 PM

interesting
Definately. The HDD crash also happened when I had to turn the machine off, wich was only a few months ago.
Before that, it was running fine. SMART said it was fine, and I run a drive fitness test every now and then just to see if everything is still OK, and that also checked out fine.
After having it shut off for about 3 hours, the HDD started to degrade fast. Got a couple more weeks out of it, but it started to throw bad sectors, SMART didn't think it was OK, and it started to slow down because of read errors.
Trupik

Activity: 136
Merit: 13

View Profile
August 03, 2013, 07:19:38 PM

I vaguely remember reading about at least two BFL ASICs producing smoke instead of hashes.
kuusj98 (OP)

I <3 VW Beetles

View Profile
August 04, 2013, 07:11:44 PM

I vaguely remember reading about at least two BFL ASICs producing smoke instead of hashes.
I've seen a mini-rigvideo and the wiring is real shit, and the Nexus 7 is replaced by a piece of cardboard...
BFL is a piece of shit.
PEBKAC

View Profile
August 04, 2013, 07:16:23 PM

Everybody knows electronics work on smoke.
When the smoke leaks out, they stop working.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2013, 08:22:42 AM

The only time that this happened, was when i was much younger maybe 5-6 backs, my HDD made a flame 2-3 inches long, it was a good lightning show  Cheesy

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
August 06, 2013, 12:33:58 PM

Scary stuff. Never had any of this happen to me when I used to mine. The worst was a power supply just stopped working and never worked again.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2013, 01:33:52 PM

Scary stuff. Never had any of this happen to me when I used to mine. The worst was a power supply just stopped working and never worked again.
Very lucky Tongue

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
K1773R
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1008

/dev/null

View Profile
August 06, 2013, 01:38:48 PM

I had a 6990 shoot out flames. It was about 3 inches high. Crazy.
Woot!
Do you think your house would catch on fire if you wherent near it?

no, my house is made of stone.
hes trolling u Wink

[GPG Public Key]
BTC/DVC/TRC/FRC: 1K1773RbXRZVRQSSXe9N6N2MUFERvrdu6y ANC/XPM AK1773RTmRKtvbKBCrUu95UQg5iegrqyeA NMC: NK1773Rzv8b4ugmCgX789PbjewA9fL9Dy1 LTC: LKi773RBuPepQH8E6Zb1ponoCvgbU7hHmd EMC: EK1773RxUes1HX1YAGMZ1xVYBBRUCqfDoF BQC: bK1773R1APJz4yTgRkmdKQhjhiMyQpJgfN
cdog

Activity: 1036
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 10, 2013, 12:34:02 AM

I was sitting there one day a couple weeks ago, Just put in new cards in my system. Was mining and playing CSS and some nice blue flames came from my case, pc shut down and started right back up. Ran fine for a couple weeks and died.

LOL @ firing it back up after blue flames shoot out. "Its probably fine..."  Grin

Ive had a power supply cable melt before. Pretty scary stuff, I dont like to think about what wouldve happened if I wasnt home...
Takeshi_Kovacs

Activity: 65
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 10, 2013, 08:51:40 AM

When I was at school, I had a Saturday job in the consumer electronics part of a large department store.

We were selling a lot of Rigonda TVs from Russia - this was about 36 years ago.

One Saturday, a customer came in to collect a TV that had died and been sent away for repair. He had the returns docket and I went out to the stock-room and found his TV and checked that it had all of the paperwork to say that it had been back to the importers and had been fixed and sent back to us.

I brought it out to the front and gave it to him.

He asked if he could see it working in the shop before taking it home.

I had no problem with that so I plugged it into the mains, fixed up a signal feed and turned it on.

Count one, count two and a column of acrid black smoke erupted from the back. Think gulf war burning oil well but on a smaller scale. This was followed by a whoosh and a flame almost a yard high. I just grabbed the power cable and pulled as hard as I could until it came away. Thankfully the flame and smoke subsided and vanished.

Awkward silence.

"Tell you what sir." I offered. "I will go to the stock room and get you a brand new one and you can have that."

He accepted with a smile and took it home to his trusting family. I do hope that it all worked out OK for them.
bobbywvz

Activity: 35

View Profile
August 10, 2013, 07:57:59 PM

Burned up my mobo, no fire but that lovely burning plastic smell. Think was from not using molex on pcie risers
Magazine

Activity: 112

View Profile
August 10, 2013, 08:07:33 PM

No, but I have had a laptop start burning around where the charger plugs into the system. It melted the cable that connects the screen but it didn't matter as I quickly threw it out of the window as I thought it might explode or something. It was pretty new so I managed to get a whole new system from the company and I was able to keep the HD which was intact.  Grin I guess they was surprised when they got the old one back in the mail since it was in a state.
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
August 11, 2013, 09:53:13 AM

It happens even to the best of us  Cheesy

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
kuusj98 (OP)

I <3 VW Beetles

View Profile
August 11, 2013, 08:12:24 PM

Yeah, I started this tread, and almost have to tell a story myself now Sad not that impressive and no fires, but it was high risk.

My PC's a gaming rig and occasially used for Mining, at some point my 620W Cooler Master Silent Pro M2 could not put out more than ~220W and I put my hand on the Power Supply, my hand where almost fried as it was so damn hot, I let it cool down for a few hours and then stress testing my 2 videocards but even at stock my PC crashed and at that time it was pulling ~280W and the Power supply was so hot again and so vague smell of burned plastic began to fill my room, i''ve had this happen everytime i was mining but now I knew it was from the power supply and today I unscrewed the thing and pulled it out:
I almost had to cry, my case had the Power supply in the bottom, and with all normal cases, there is a fan-cutout in the base of the case, my Antec 900 appeantly doesn't have this and the idiot who put my PC together put the fan pointed down, so it could not get any air.

I turned it over and now if my whole system is stressing it pulls 450~ Watts without a problem and the Power supply stays fucking cold -__-
That could of had fryed my PC.

Magazine

Activity: 112

View Profile
August 11, 2013, 08:47:19 PM

Yeah, I started this tread, and almost have to tell a story myself now Sad not that impressive and no fires, but it was high risk.

My PC's a gaming rig and occasially used for Mining, at some point my 620W Cooler Master Silent Pro M2 could not put out more than ~220W and I put my hand on the Power Supply, my hand where almost fried as it was so damn hot, I let it cool down for a few hours and then stress testing my 2 videocards but even at stock my PC crashed and at that time it was pulling ~280W and the Power supply was so hot again and so vague smell of burned plastic began to fill my room, i''ve had this happen everytime i was mining but now I knew it was from the power supply and today I unscrewed the thing and pulled it out:
I almost had to cry, my case had the Power supply in the bottom, and with all normal cases, there is a fan-cutout in the base of the case, my Antec 900 appeantly doesn't have this and the idiot who put my PC together put the fan pointed down, so it could not get any air.

I turned it over and now if my whole system is stressing it pulls 450~ Watts without a problem and the Power supply stays fucking cold -__-
That could of had fryed my PC.

Should send a complaint to who put your system together, that could have cost you a good chunk of change.
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
August 11, 2013, 10:00:07 PM

i came across this, reminded me of this thread:

So if your rig goes on fire, do not use facebook to update your status!  Cheesy

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Stinky_Pete

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 11, 2013, 10:27:21 PM

I've had sparks when a GPU died (power circuits), but no other damage done.

ssinc

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

Hash for Cash!

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 12:15:43 AM

One of my 7950's sparked and lit on fire when my face was about 6 inches from it... Almost burned my eyebrows off! Shocked

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: