Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 09:01:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Wallet help  (Read 766 times)
gravitate (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 23, 2013, 08:15:40 AM

I have bitcoin-qt wallet on a mac. I need to erase my macs hard drive to sell it and then put the old stuff on a new computer. Does anyone know how I can do this with my bitcoin and litecoin wallet please? I know how to back them up but how to put them onto a knew computer I really am lost

To peel or not to peel.
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Nerzahd

Activity: 165
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 23, 2013, 08:24:32 AM

In Finder click the Go menu and press the Option key to make the user's Library show up in the menu.
Wallet.dat is under Library->Application Support->Bitcoin.
On the new computer install Bitcoin-Qt and replace the wallet.dat with your backup.

14X95NYLXqczFjrBPqgTpkC7AWmpyZrYEU
gravitate (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 23, 2013, 08:29:32 AM

OK thank you for this. When it comes to putting this on a new mac then how do I do it? I presume I will not lose all my bitcoins?

To peel or not to peel.
ChrisJ

Activity: 146

View Profile
July 23, 2013, 08:41:53 AM

OK thank you for this. When it comes to putting this on a new mac then how do I do it? I presume I will not lose all my bitcoins?

You replace the contents of the Bitcoin folder in Application Support:
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Securing_your_wallet#Mac

I recommend for your own piece of mind, practicing backing up a wallet and restoring it just so that you can walk yourself through the process. It can be a bit scary first time if you have a lot of coins.

I found that Multibit Wallet was better for backing up and restoring coins and if you have another computer you could always move the wallet over to there so that you can see they are safe while you do the restore.

Before I ever do a format of my macs I always clone the disk just in case anyway.

Good luck.

I want to make the world better than I found it
melon

Activity: 134

View Profile
July 23, 2013, 08:46:46 AM

use a usb or cd burn that way you have a copy plus then you can easily transfer from one of those to the new comp and then bleach the old comps drive

Once was a man his name was Jed..had a lot of hair but it wasn't on his head !
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
July 23, 2013, 11:21:20 AM

You should erase/write back garbage on your disk a few times as the wallet could be recovered

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: