Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 04:26:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Gap Observer mtgox / bitstamp / btc-e / campbx  (Read 8589 times)
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 04:09:04 PM

... I do not report/file taxes in America and have heard that is fine. ...

I do not know who has given you this advice, but I strongly suspect it is very wrong and very dangerous. I would go straight to the source. http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/International-Taxpayers/U.S.-Citizens-and-Resident-Aliens-Abroad

As Bitcoin exchanges Bitstamp seems to be the choice for now especially if you are in Europe and can use SEPA. I have not used them myself so I do not have direct experience with them. Here in Canada I use Virtex; however in a somewhat similar and stricter fashion to bitcoin.de one has to be a Canadian citizen resident in Canada to use them. MTGox is currently having a lot of issues with fiat withdrawals, I expect that this will eventually get sorted out especially for currencies other than USD and MTGox will remain a viable and strong business; however there are many on this board that have a very different point of view that is worthy of consideration before risking any funds there.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
Its About Sharing
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000

Antifragile

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 04:31:53 PM

I do not know who has given you this advice, but I strongly suspect it is very wrong and very dangerous. I would go straight to the source. http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/International-Taxpayers/U.S.-Citizens-and-Resident-Aliens-Abroad

As Bitcoin exchanges Bitstamp seems to be the choice for now especially if you are in Europe and can use SEPA. I have not used them myself so I do not have direct experience with them. Here in Canada I use Virtex; however in a somewhat similar and stricter fashion to bitcoin.de one has to be a Canadian citizen resident in Canada to use them. MTGox is currently having a lot of issues with fiat withdrawals, I expect that this will eventually get sorted out especially for currencies other than USD and MTGox will remain a viable and strong business; however there are many on this board that have a very different point of view that is worthy of consideration before risking any funds there.

Thanks for the advice.

There is a provision on double taxation and not having to pay taxes twice. Germany's tax rate is much higher than in America, so there is little chance of having to owe taxes in America, but point is taken. But after 10 years here, I'm not sure I want to raise eyebrows there. Even if wrong, I have yet to meet a person who has been living here filing taxes in the States.

There is a good discussion on it here and a lawyer (user "anwalt") chimes in.
http://www.toytowngermany.com/lofi/index.php/t29771-15.html

BTC = Black Swan.
BTC = Antifragile - "Some things benefit from shocks; they thrive and grow when exposed to volatility, randomness, disorder, and stressors and love adventure, risk, and uncertainty. Robust is not the opposite of fragile.
gog1

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 04:32:47 PM

cavirtex just added a merchant API, I think it'll make the prices there even lower as you have a higher selling demand (I just don't see how most merchants would want to keep BTC instead of fiat).
genuise

Activity: 379
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2013, 11:38:57 PM

mtgox - bitstamp arbitrage history for last 24h

1) Volume of 10 BTC:
arbitrage opportunity in orderbooks (MKT Price %) - 14.109 %
arbitrage realized in trades (VWAP Traded %) - 14.337%

2) Volume of 10 BTC
arbitrage opportunity in orderbooks (MKT Price %) - 14.451 %
arbitrage realized in trades (VWAP Traded %) - 14.522%

2) Volume of 100 BTC
arbitrage opportunity in orderbooks (MKT Price %) - 14.157 %
arbitrage realized in trades (VWAP Traded %) - 14.523%

Interesting that there are also both 1000 BTC Volume and 10000 BTC Volume arbitrage percent visible.
Although MKT Price arbitrage is less than 12% for 1000 BTC Volume.
And for 10000 BTC Volume it even negative for half of last 24hours.

While realized arbitrage in trades shows significant percent for 1000 and 10000 BTC Volume. As high as 14.025 %.

Interesting...

gog1

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 11:45:05 PM

mtgox - bitstamp arbitrage history for last 24h

1) Volume of 10 BTC:
arbitrage opportunity in orderbooks (MKT Price %) - 14.109 %
arbitrage realized in trades (VWAP Traded %) - 14.337%

2) Volume of 10 BTC
arbitrage opportunity in orderbooks (MKT Price %) - 14.451 %
arbitrage realized in trades (VWAP Traded %) - 14.522%

2) Volume of 100 BTC
arbitrage opportunity in orderbooks (MKT Price %) - 14.157 %
arbitrage realized in trades (VWAP Traded %) - 14.523%

Interesting that there are also both 1000 BTC Volume and 10000 BTC Volume arbitrage percent visible.
Although MKT Price arbitrage is less than 12% for 1000 BTC Volume.
And for 10000 BTC Volume it even negative for half of last 24hours.

While realized arbitrage in trades shows significant percent for 1000 and 10000 BTC Volume. As high as 14.025 %.

Interesting...

you can't cashed out from gox - or it takes forever - so this is meaningless
genuise

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2013, 11:49:02 PM

if it is meaningless for you it does not mean that the same is true for someone else, right?

Or the whole thread is meaningless or even the whole speculation forum Smiley

byronbb
Legendary

Activity: 1414

HODL OR DIE

View Profile
August 17, 2013, 11:49:12 PM

genuise

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2013, 07:04:40 PM
Last edit: August 18, 2013, 07:50:12 PM by genuise

It is interesting to see while the immediate arbitrage right in orderbooks between mtgox and bitstamp available in 10000 BTC capacity on both exchnages. Although the ~5+% profit will be eaten by cumulative transcation fees.

And keeping in mind all accusations about gox withdrawals  nontheless trading is going on and trading volume is big enough. And the price  of trades shows significantly  bigger profites should they actually realized.

Here you can see the arbitrage calculated on actual trading volumes of last 10000 BTC traded on both exchanges shows that trading price difference between gox and bitstamp is stable thru last 24h at above than 11% and for the last two hours above 12%

myself (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 938

chaos is fun...…damental :)

View Profile
August 19, 2013, 04:55:55 AM

16 USD gap

LOL

Los desesperados publican que lo inventó el rey que rabió, porque todo son en el rabias y mas rabias, disgustos y mas disgustos, pezares y mas pezares; si el que compra algunas partidas vé que baxan, rabia de haver comprado; si suben, rabia de que no compró mas; si compra, suben, vende, gana y buelan aun á mas alto precio del que ha vendido; rabia de que vendió por menor precio: si no compra ni vende y ván subiendo, rabia de que haviendo tenido impulsos de comprar, no llegó á lograr los impulsos; si van baxando, rabia de que, haviendo tenido amagos de vender, no se resolvió á gozar los amagos; si le dan algun consejo y acierta, rabia de que no se lo dieron antes; si yerra, rabia de que se lo dieron; con que todo son inquietudes, todo arrepentimientos, tododelirios, luchando siempre lo insufrible con lo feliz, lo indomito con lo tranquilo y lo rabioso con lo deleytable.
dnaleor
Legendary

Activity: 1470

Want privacy? Use Monero!

View Profile
August 19, 2013, 06:07:27 AM

19 USD gap  Shocked

Think bitstamp will soon break 100 USD Smiley
solex
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

100 satoshis -> ISO code

View Profile
August 19, 2013, 06:23:05 AM

19 USD gap  Shocked

Think bitstamp will soon break 100 USD Smiley

Bitstamp on the daily chart looks very strong. Four hits at that $100 resistance. Looking at $125 after it breaks through.

Wagner2014

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 19, 2013, 06:54:02 AM

You can by Bitcoin for $90 CAD at Virtex right now. That's about what? $87 USD.

Hello, fellow Bitcoin Billionaires!!
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 19, 2013, 07:06:57 AM

16 USD gap

LOL

$20 gap.

That's fucking ridiculous. My guess is one of these exchange services is intentionally creating the gap so they can force their clients into taking a lower valuation.
Its About Sharing
Legendary

Antifragile

View Profile
August 19, 2013, 08:21:30 AM

16 USD gap

LOL

$20 gap.

That's fucking ridiculous. My guess is one of these exchange services is intentionally creating the gap so they can force their clients into taking a lower valuation.

Now we go from elation to worry. Nice to see the price on GOX go up and on HUGE volume/buys, but when there are crickets elsewhere, it is very very worrisome. So, they got their coins, but do they want to risk a 20% loss of funds? And the slippage can turn huge as the other exchanges probably can't handle that volume. Or do they just hold? It has been the latter for a while. I don't see large sells at the other exchanges. Sort of like people are saying FU to GOX.

This is a bit like all the chip sales from Yifu's Avalon scam/debacle (which I unfortunately got in on the smaller side), the writing is on the wall...

BTC = Black Swan.
BTC = Antifragile - "Some things benefit from shocks; they thrive and grow when exposed to volatility, randomness, disorder, and stressors and love adventure, risk, and uncertainty. Robust is not the opposite of fragile.
old_engineer

Activity: 387

View Profile
August 19, 2013, 11:48:48 PM

With a large, persistent gap between Gox and other exchanges, the only people buying Gox coins are those with fiat already on the exchange.  And that's truly scary for the near-term future of bitcoin, as many people believe Gox USD price is a metric of bitcoin value, and will be deeply disappointed by the likely coming crash in Bitstamp value.

I'm sure Karpales has made a graph of the total withdrawal amounts pending vs. time since the withdrawals were suspended.  How many USD millions are now pending?  5?  10?  20?  Any students of crashes have learned that the build up happens slowly, but when it finally starts, it happens very fast.
Its About Sharing
Legendary

Antifragile

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 06:07:02 PM

Nice to see the price on GOX go up and on HUGE volume/buys, but when there are crickets elsewhere, it is very very worrisome.

There were some large (relative) volume buys on BitStamp as well, so I wouldn't say "crickets". The gap is worrisome, but many are exaggerating the significance. I actually speculate that some are arbitraging the hell out of this, and want to keep doing so.

It's worrisome to those holding GoxUSD and Gox themselves. The rest of us, not so much.

Stamp has shown some strength recently. I'm happy about that.

But, the big buys on Gox has really caught my attention. It seems like big pocketed people (very big) took us from $65 to here. When will they run out?
I really would love to know how much money is in their bank ready for buys. I don't mean money we can see on the orderbook. These big market orders are always unexpected, though they seem
spread out a day here and then two days later there.

Let us not forget that Gox was often equal with Bitstamp. Money might be going into Stamp as we speak, though I suspect it might wait for a pullback, unless they have some inside info...

BTC = Black Swan.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: