Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 09:30:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: New AMD APUs... [AMD A8-Series]  (Read 18101 times)
Pipesnake
Legendary

Activity: 1012
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 22, 2012, 02:19:58 PM

Trying yo mine with one of these (3870K) and its just impossible;

i get 3MH, obviously GPU is doing nothing,

The problem i think is that i mine in Windows XP64, i have installed latest SDK available, 2.3, but with guiminer - opencl i get only 3MH, and trying to mine from command line i get this error:

C:\guiminer>poclbm
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "poclbm.py", line 48, in <module>
pyopencl.LogicError: clGetPlatformIDs failed: invalid/unknown error code

All help i find about that error is for linux based systems,

any help?

Thanks,
You need to install the latest Catalyst driver (cleanly).  Uninstall that SDK shit and any other AMD software first.

██▄                ██        ▄███████▄        ██                  ██      ▄█████████▄ 
 ████              ██      █                  █      ██                  ██      ██                ██
 ██  ▀█            ██    ▄█                  █▄    ██                  ██    ██                  ██
 ██    █▄          ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██    ▀█                     
 ██      █▄        ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██      ██                   
 ██        █▄      ██                                  ██                  ██       ▀████████▄   
 ██          █▄    ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██                        ██ 
 ██            █▄  ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██                          ██
 ██              █▄██    ██                  ██    ▀█                  █▀    ▄▄                  █▀
 ██                ███      █                  █        █                  █      ██                ██ 
 ██                  ▀█        ▀███████▀            ▀███████▀         ▀█████████▀   

Nousplatform Youtube     
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
epenue

Activity: 136
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 22, 2012, 06:43:14 PM

You need to install the latest Catalyst driver (cleanly).  Uninstall that SDK shit and any other AMD software first.

thanks,

Yes, that was the first thing i tried, only catalyst, in a new system, latests version, but guiminer told me that no opencl device was installed, and from command line things didnt work also; then i tried with SDK  Huh
Pipesnake
Legendary

View Profile
October 23, 2012, 06:17:49 AM

thanks,

Yes, that was the first thing i tried, only catalyst, in a new system, latests version, but guiminer told me that no opencl device was installed, and from command line things didnt work also; then i tried with SDK  Huh
My only other guess is XP is the problem.  You should be able to buy 7 cheap now that 8 is coming out.

██▄                ██        ▄███████▄        ██                  ██      ▄█████████▄ 
 ████              ██      █                  █      ██                  ██      ██                ██
 ██  ▀█            ██    ▄█                  █▄    ██                  ██    ██                  ██
 ██      █▄        ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██      ██                   
 ██        █▄      ██                                  ██                  ██       ▀████████▄   
 ██          █▄    ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██                        ██ 
 ██            █▄  ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██                          ██
 ██              █▄██    ██                  ██    ▀█                  █▀    ▄▄                  █▀
 ██                ███      █                  █        █                  █      ██                ██ 
 ██                  ▀█        ▀███████▀            ▀███████▀         ▀█████████▀   

Nousplatform Youtube     
epenue

View Profile
October 23, 2012, 12:09:12 PM

My only other guess is XP is the problem.  You should be able to buy 7 cheap now that 8 is coming out.

Unfortunately thats not possible, i use these machines for other production works and they must use XP 64 Sad

no other ideas? anyone?  Roll Eyes
muqali

Activity: 182

View Profile
October 23, 2012, 03:30:43 PM

Unfortunately thats not possible, i use these machines for other production works and they must use XP 64 Sad

no other ideas? anyone?  Roll Eyes

Put 7 or linux and run XP 64 in a VM?

donations BTC: 1CaCwo4xneTqTLEdomW76Cg5NteZyvXi1c
donations LTC: LTcasvjtLuN92ks1Pc1qtkvE9PswsXEbev
epenue

View Profile
October 23, 2012, 04:27:21 PM

Not possible; but maybe the other way around...  Grin
BR0KK

Activity: 784
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 23, 2012, 06:16:55 PM

A VM does not (usually) have access to the GPU... They use to have a generic GPU, but not the actual hardware...

A VM for production use isn't a good thing ... USB and serial pass through is not guaranteed to work. If it works ...

kwoody

Activity: 454
Merit: 250

Technology and Women. Amazing.

View Profile
October 24, 2012, 02:26:52 AM

A8 is not the newest highend APU, A10 is. I have a friend with an A10-5800k(integrated 7660D) and it pulls just over 100mh/s.
muqali

View Profile
October 24, 2012, 02:45:56 PM

A VM does not (usually) have access to the GPU... They use to have a generic GPU, but not the actual hardware...

A VM for production use isn't a good thing ... USB and serial pass through is not guaranteed to work. If it works ...

You could possibly use IOMMU passthrough stuff to get "native" access to the GPU, but not with XP as the base OS :-(

BR0KK

Activity: 784

View Profile
October 24, 2012, 04:42:06 PM

not with any home operating system Smiley

Pipesnake
Legendary

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 08:27:23 AM

A8 is not the newest highend APU, A10 is. I have a friend with an A10-5800k(integrated 7660D) and it pulls just over 100mh/s.
100mh/s?

That's barely better than my 3870.

Nousplatform Youtube     
muqali

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 08:51:23 AM

100mh/s?

That's barely better than my 3870.

Considering it is sharing the die and TDP with the cpu, it isn't bad.

dentldir

Activity: 333

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 08:56:52 AM

These chips also scale linearly with system memory performance.  So try and get your system memory as fast as you can for best performance.

1DentLdiRMv3dpmpmqWsQev8BUaty9vN3v
Mushoz

Activity: 686

Bitbuy

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2012, 02:46:12 PM

These chips also scale linearly with system memory performance.  So try and get your system memory as fast as you can for best performance.

The bitcoin hashing algorithm isn't memory intensive at all, so I doubt it would scale much with higher memory speeds if anything at all.

www.bitbuy.nl - Koop eenvoudig, snel en goedkoop bitcoins bij Bitbuy!
dentldir

Activity: 333

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 05:48:22 PM

The bitcoin hashing algorithm isn't memory intensive at all, so I doubt it would scale much with higher memory speeds if anything at all.

You know, you are absolutely right about that.  They shouldn't matter.  A friend of mine tried a 3870K on stock settings and got 70Mhz.  Checking on the Bitcoin wiki they show 100Mhz, but they overclocked the CPU.  Memory was only at 1667.  I jumped to conclusions because of the graphics performance and its reliance on memory speed.

I amend my original statement, for everyday 3D graphics performance, these chips scale linearly with memory clocks.  Also for scrypt mining if you are into that (LTC).  BTC should not be affected.

1DentLdiRMv3dpmpmqWsQev8BUaty9vN3v
underminer

Activity: 210

Not for hire.

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 05:40:11 AM

I also have a 2.9 ghz llano a8 3850.  I can get about 68mhs from it with the flags -v 128 -f0 from guiminer.  It is interesting because then I can also add up to 3 video cards to motherboard, I don't mine using the cpu at all.

Keep your bitcoins my .02 are free.
Shotgun_WooWoo

Activity: 130

View Profile
November 14, 2012, 08:08:54 PM

I've got an A6 in the laptop I'm using right now.  It averages at about 25MH/s, not much really.  But fun to start out with.

Elxiliath

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 28, 2012, 05:18:45 PM

I have one of the new APUs in a system I built last month, the numbers were not great.  I'll see if I can find the screen shots from testing it.

YinCoin YangCoin ☯☯First Ever POS/POW Alternator! Multipool! ☯ ☯ http://yinyangpool.com/ 
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=623937
Bwincoin - 100% Free POS. BL5cYJHSEvjPo19GQa3z7Z3cCEbBY9iCee
Dagger75

Activity: 156

View Profile
November 28, 2012, 05:33:09 PM

I have one of the new APUs in a system I built last month, the numbers were not great.  I'll see if I can find the screen shots from testing it.

That'd be great, i'm very interested in seeing some Trinity results.

>>>http://foundation.leafco.in/<<<  Please help support our cause

>>>A True Alt, with a True Purpose<<<  $$Leafcoin$$
Desolator

Activity: 392

View Profile
November 30, 2012, 04:44:58 AM

I should come here more often Tongue  I have an A6 APU black edition at a 4.0GHz thoroughly tested overclock as a demo system at my shop and just built an A10 system yesterday.  The 1866MHz memory is still on its way here in the mail but I'll stick some 1600 Ballistix in it temporarily, install Win7, and let you know what it gets for mining speed.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: