Bitcoin Forum
June 01, 2024, 10:31:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Someone doesn't like cryptsy...  (Read 3006 times)
HuuHachu

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 08:08:09 AM

but mcxnow probably has only a fraction of the number of users cryptsy has ...
(not sure, just an opinion, would like to see actual numbers)

Also in my understanding, mcxnow was launched for mincoin, so this makes it look shady to me. If you don't remember, mincoin was a scam by the textbook (superblocks during the instamine at the beginning, lol). At that time, the usual exchanges would not accept it and building mcxnow was probably the solution they found to dump early.

I have no data about cryptsy traffic. Mcx didnt have much volume before adding primecoin. Now things changed.

About mincoin,...  I was very vocal about that coin (that it is a scam etc). But since nobody forces us to use this coin, we can freely use exchange to trade with other coins.

I was pointing out at the performance. While mcxnow can handle many users and probably has more volume on primecoin than cryptsy, cryptsy work like s... lately. I hope they fix the problem.

Also, I was never banned or anything for shittalking or trolling or expressing opinion on mcxnow. That happened on cryptsy. And I was vocal about scamcoins on both sites.

I did not use mcx for quite some time, only knew it while it had low traffic, it may have change now ...

Being banned is both bad and good ...
Bad because users may not be warned about shitcoins ... and cryptsy trademark is its will to list all that can be traded except for the crappiest of the shitcoins.
Good because this means there is some moderators and thinks are less prone to go wild with personnal attacks and worse.

For the performances, hard to tell from outside if the problem lies in the interface or in the trading engine ... but I would like to not have to press F5 regularly to update infos !

noble: 9mKQpsfLeabjFsPv3YR9zYoAVymDPyfjCp
naphto

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 08:36:05 AM

cryptsy is a scam for people selling crapcoins for btc ...
Sad
HuuHachu

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 08:52:30 AM

cryptsy is a scam for people selling crapcoins for btc ...
Sad

I don't see it that way ...

Cryptsy appeared during the great copy-coin surge of 2013 ... those coins where usually exchanged on the boards with a lot of scammers taking your btc/ltc and sending nothing in return.
The guys took the opportunity and launched their site where you could safely trade almost anything against btc (safe as in "you get what you paid for", even if you paid for crap, of course ^^)

Even if those coins where worth almost nothing, crypsy takes a moderate fee on each transaction (.6% gox anyone ?) with the assumption that a little bit + a little  bit + ... you know what I mean ^^

So we can at least thanks crypsy for keeping those boards relatively clear from the continuous flood of WTS/WTB threads ^^

On the other hand, it seems to me that mcx was initially build specifically to dump mincoin. (mcx stands for MinCoin eXchange doesn't it ?) It evolved from there, but this is quite a shady start to me.
(Also I don't like much the "I made it myself in C++ so it's secure because nobody knows how it works" approach ...professional bias on my side maybe ^^)

TheRealSolid

Activity: 94
Merit: 10

Operator of mcxNOW | Programmer of MicroCash

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2013, 09:06:01 AM

Cryptsy appeared during the great copy-coin surge of 2013 ... those coins where usually exchanged on the boards with a lot of scammers taking your btc/ltc and sending nothing in return.
The guys took the opportunity and launched their site where you could safely trade almost anything against btc (safe as in "you get what you paid for", even if you paid for crap, of course ^^)

Even if those coins where worth almost nothing, crypsy takes a moderate fee on each transaction (.6% gox anyone ?) with the assumption that a little bit + a little  bit + ... you know what I mean ^^

So we can at least thanks crypsy for keeping those boards relatively clear from the continuous flood of WTS/WTB threads ^^

Except cryptsy has had numerous issues (double deposit, lag, floating point trading, orders which are higher than the opposite side, etc). I mean besides all of that and the constant downtime, yeah it's going pretty well I guess in comparison to the always online, never had an issue mcxNOW.... Tongue

On the other hand, it seems to me that mcx was initially build specifically to dump mincoin. (mcx stands for MinCoin eXchange doesn't it ?) It evolved from there, but this is quite a shady start to me.
(Also I don't like much the "I made it myself in C++ so it's secure because nobody knows how it works" approach ...professional bias on my side maybe ^^)

mcxNOW originally was meant for "microcash exchange now". MicroCash being the crypto currency I am working on for some time now, check the whois of the domain to see it was registered way before mincoin. Mincoin was added to the exchange because there was a bounty, it was before the flood of altcoins hitting the market and it was a good test for the exchange. It is no more a scam than any coin, so it's silly for anyone to say that. No one forces you to invest in any coin, no one forces you to mine any coin, go look up the definition of a scam.

In regards to the exchange security, it's been officially pen tested by 3 security experts I know and it's been heavily probed by hackers already. It withstands DDoS and can handle hundreds of thousands of users if it ever grows that large. I am confident in my ability (and have more experience than most people in cryptocurrency development) , you shouldn't be offended by that. I'm not some amateur making an exchange because "it can make me rich" like most people do it.

Ask yourself why someone like bigvern would start an exchange in beta and do things like use floating point numbers for financial code, it's pretty clear the motives of some of these exchange operators.

https://mcxnow.com - Fast and secure coin exchange.
Primecoin / Litecoin / Mincoin / Worldcoin / CopperLark
usahero

Activity: 434

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 09:14:52 AM

I was banned because moderator was DGC bagholder and he could not handle the truth about fair start of DGC.

I was banned, because most of the moderators and people at the time were very optimistic about DGC, and a dose of truth about it was too much to handle for the dgc-coin-lovers.

manface

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 09:20:24 AM

hahaha funny craptsy.com page.

Why does anyone still use that site? One day you are going to log in there and just find your coins completely gone. I tried trading on it once and I saw my sell order which was below the buy order just sit there and not get sold. I had to retry 5 times before it would sell. Then my BTC balance was something like 1.50000000124. Too many decimal points for bitcoin! Using floating point for an exchange is crap.

I withdrew all my coins immediately and never went back, its going to get hacked as Bigvern doesnt seem to know what it takes to run an exchange.
HuuHachu

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 09:32:57 AM

Ho ! sorry, I did not knew about microcash being the origin for mcx ... I went aware of mcx with mincoin ... my bad.

(mincoin was one of the first alt-coins of the wave, when you could not get easily to an exchange and mcx went online almost at the same time if I remember well with only mincoin listed)

For the double spend problem, it's mostly a question of being targeted or not I think ... The problem does not appear at the exchange itself but rather at the coin daemon.
Exchanges are the traditional target for double-spender, and cryptsy happened to host some of the easiest to double-spend coins ^^
Not sure how an exchange can defend against the double spend except by heavily and deeply monitoring the activity on the blockchain ...

For the DDoS, it's always a matter of attack scale, no one can say his site is 100% safe from it ... I'm naturally wary of people claiming the contrary.  Your security provider(s) can handle up to some point and beyond that you start suffering. Even google could be ddos-ed with enough energy committed into it.

Also, as we are on the internet, please take no offense but you can understand I may not believe just anyone who say "it's secure because I said it" ...
Confidence comes with time and a few months is not very long ...

Last but not least, hundred of thousands of users is really a lot (depending on their activity of course. Trading bots are the most dangerous when scaling is considered) ... The scaling problems are not usually in the core engine, but rather in the network activities associated.

TheRealSolid

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2013, 09:42:57 AM

Ho ! sorry, I did not knew about microcash being the origin for mcx ... I went aware of mcx with mincoin ... my bad.

(mincoin was one of the first alt-coins of the wave, when you could not get easily to an exchange and mcx went online almost at the same time if I remember well with only mincoin listed)

For the double spend problem, it's mostly a question of being targeted or not I think ... The problem does not appear at the exchange itself but rather at the coin daemon.
Exchanges are the traditional target for double-spender, and cryptsy happened to host some of the easiest to double-spend coins ^^
Not sure how an exchange can defend against the double spend except heavily and deeply monitoring the activity on the blockchain ...

For the DDoS, it's always a matter of attack scale, no one can say his site is 100% safe from it ... I'm naturally wary of people claiming the contrary.  Your provider(s) can handle up to some point and beyond that you start suffering. Even google could be ddos-ed with enough energy committed into it.

Also, as we are on the internet, please take no offense but you can understand I may not believe just anyone who say "it's secure because I said it" ...

Last but not least, hundred of thousands of users is really a lot (depending on their activity of course. Trading bots are the most dangerous when scaling is considered) ... The scaling problems are not usually in the core engine, but rather in the network activities associated.

I'm not asking you to believe what I say. However when you are so pro-cryptsy which has had so many issues and then in the next breath talk crap about mcxNOW which hasn't had any issues or downtime it comes across like you have an agenda.

If you're going to criticize mcxNOW at least base it on some real reason (ie RealSolid is too abrasive and confident, that scares me). But instead you've used this idea that a coin I added "was a scam" which is completely subjective mixed with "it's in c++" which clearly has had zero effect on the stability or security of the exchange to this point in time. You're clutching at straws here my friend to try to heap shit on mcxNOW when it's run perfectly fine for thousands of people with nearly 3 months uptime.

mcxNOW gets DDoSed and DoSd nearly every day, you are right that it depends on the power of the attack. But it's withstood plenty of attacks to this point in time which is why I have such uptime.

litecoin_messiah

Activity: 355
Merit: 268

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2013, 09:43:34 AM

It is obviously BTC-E, they saw all there users go to cryptsy and want them back.

Because they need to scam more people out of 0.5 LTC withdrawal fees.
digitalindustry

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

‘Try to be nice’

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2013, 09:44:17 AM

I was banned because moderator was DGC bagholder and he could not handle the truth about fair start of DGC.

I was banned, because most of the moderators and people at the time were very optimistic about DGC, and a dose of truth about it was too much to handle for the dgc-coin-lovers.

So what is the Dirt you have on DGC ?  - i'd like to hear ?  i thought it was a fair start >?

- Twitter @Kolin_Quark
digitalindustry

‘Try to be nice’

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2013, 09:45:56 AM

It is obviously BTC-E, they saw all there users go to cryptsy and want them back.

i'd doubt that , i'd look to a smaller competitor , but then i don't know . 

- Twitter @Kolin_Quark
litecoin_messiah

Activity: 355
Merit: 268

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2013, 09:48:55 AM

i'd doubt that , i'd look to a smaller competitor , but then i don't know . 

Look at btc-e's volume in the recent days, it droped a lot after i mentioned to users to switch to alternative exchanges until they get there act together,

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=261417.0;topicseen

http://reddit.com/r/litecoin
usahero

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 10:04:17 AM

So what is the Dirt you have on DGC ?  - i'd like to hear ?  i thought it was a fair start >?

Nothing serious, except that it was not so flawlessly fair as they suggested. The first hours produced too many blocks, and that is all what I was pointing out. One of moderators decided to ban me instead to debate the facts.

HuuHachu

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 10:06:12 AM

Not sure how an exchange can defend against the double spend except heavily and deeply monitoring the activity on the blockchain ...

For the DDoS, it's always a matter of attack scale, no one can say his site is 100% safe from it ... I'm naturally wary of people claiming the contrary.  Your provider(s) can handle up to some point and beyond that you start suffering. Even google could be ddos-ed with enough energy committed into it.

I'm not asking you to believe what I say. However when you are so pro-cryptsy which has had so many issues and then in the next breath talk crap about mcxNOW which hasn't had any issues or downtime it comes across like you have an agenda.

If you're going to criticize mcxNOW at least base it on some real reason (ie RealSolid is too abrasive and confident, that scares me). But instead you've used this idea that a coin I added "was a scam" which is completely subjective mixed with "it's in c++" which clearly has had zero effect on the stability or security of the exchange to this point in time. You're clutching at straws here my friend to try to heap shit on mcxNOW when it's run perfectly fine for thousands of people with nearly 3 months uptime.

mcxNOW gets DDoSed and DoSd nearly every day, you are right that it depends on the power of the attack. But it's withstood plenty of attacks to this point in time which is why I have such uptime.

Well, I'm in fact less pro-cryptsy that I may have looked like ... I don't have much confidence in them, especially because of the point you highlighted yourself.
By the way I don't have much confidence in bter, btc-e nor even gox neither ^^

Crypto-currency as a whole is still the far-west when it comes to confidence in *any* particular entity ^^

For the C++, I don't say it's bad ! It's just that I remember that you wrote somewhere "engine written in C++ as is nyse, so it's very fast and secure" (this is not a real quote, but this is the substance I am remembering)

Couple this with my false assumption that mcx had been built specifically for mincoin, you can understand my wariness. So I take back the shadiness I was seeing in your site because of that.

For mincoin, the large blocks at the beginning were obviously to give the dev a considerable amount of the *total* money supply, waiting to be dumped as it was not even a premine with any announced particular usage. It was an *amplified* insta-mine !
( look at the money supply graph on http://cryptometer.org/mincoin_90_day_charts.html , it's quite scary ^^)

ronaldinho_07

Activity: 476

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 10:07:47 AM

what the hell happen to cryptsy,when i enter,it always shows this

www.cryptsy.com
You've requested a page that currently is on the Incapsula network.
Incapsula was unable to connect to the server.
Suggestions :

If you are a website visitor, try to refresh your browser and connect again.
If you are the website owner, please ensure that your server is up and running and that access to it from the Incapsula network has not been blocked in any way. see here
hr
Your IP Address 118.68.210.217
Proxy IP 199.83.131.5
Proxy ID 1084
Server IP X.X.X.178
Error Code 8
Error Name TCP Connection Rejected
Error Description The proxy failed to connect to the web server, due to TCP connection rejection (TCP Reset).
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1255

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 10:14:23 AM

What the fuck realsolid?

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
digitalindustry

‘Try to be nice’

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2013, 10:19:32 AM

Nothing serious, except that it was not so flawlessly fair as they suggested. The first hours produced too many blocks, and that is all what I was pointing out. One of moderators decided to ban me instead to debate the facts.

OK no worries - well that is silly to censor anyone for bringing such a thing up - but anyhow i just remember vaguely some accusations at the time , a few blocks here and there - why bother is what I would say , people seem to make this mistake over an over again ha ha - everyone values their own thing a lot i guess  , everyone thinks that theirs will be the popular ha ha . 

- Twitter @Kolin_Quark
Hydroponica

Activity: 182

fml

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 10:20:42 AM

Pretty sure you were banned, for being an asshole, and throwing personal attacks at people, because they didn't agree with your views Roll Eyes

TheRealSolid

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2013, 10:25:27 AM

Well, I'm in fact less pro-cryptsy that I may have looked like ... I don't have much confidence in them, especially because of the point you highlighted yourself.
By the way I don't have much confidence in bter, btc-e nor even gox neither ^^

I don't have much faith in any of them either. I do use mtgox though simply because if they fail then bitcoin is dead in the water at least for a good amount of time, so having bitcoins on another exchange or in your wallet doesn't really matter when the biggest site goes down, everyone suffers. Smiley

Crypto-currency as a whole is still the far-west when it comes to confidence in *any* particular entity ^^

For the C++, I don't say it's bad ! It's just that I remember that you wrote somewhere "engine written in C++ as is nyse, so it's very fast and secure" (this is not a real quote, but this is the substance I am remembering)

It is the wild west. Thankfully today I saw something about that pirate40 guy getting busted by the SEC for the scams he ran, hopefully that scares away some of the scammers that infect the rather anonymous currencies.

Part of the reason the site is in C++ is for the added security it brings (when in the hands of a seasoned developer) because you have control over every packet in and out. There is no "Mystery" as to what is happening , I know along every stage. And also for the added speed. Mtgox apparently handle 50000 simultaneous users, mcxNOW can handle 500K active users/traders on my PC (i7-8 threads).

If there was a newb saying "site is in c++ bro for teh security and speed" I would agree with your thoughts about it. But I have 15 years of professional experience in c++ coding whether games, cryptocurrencies, antivirus, etc.

Couple this with my false assumption that mcx had been built specifically for mincoin, you can understand my wariness. So I take back the shadiness I was seeing in your site because of that.

For mincoin, the large blocks at the beginning were obviously to give the dev a considerable amount of the *total* money supply, waiting to be dumped as it was not even a premine with any announced particular usage. It was an *amplified* insta-mine !
( look at the money supply graph on http://cryptometer.org/mincoin_90_day_charts.html , it's quite scary ^^)

I agree that there was a lot of mincoin mined in the first few days. That isn't hidden from anyone though, it says it on the main site where you get the source and in the announcement thread. There are still only 1.2 million mincoins now after ~4 months or so of operation, compare that to say worldcoin and feathercoin (many millions) or primecoin which nearly has that amount in 2 weeks! Let alone 4 months. If you adjust the looking lens of the timescale out to a couple months mincoins "instamine" as you call it looks like nothing.

usahero

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 10:33:40 AM

Pretty sure you were banned, for being an asshole, and throwing personal attacks at people, because they didn't agree with your views Roll Eyes

Not really. I was banned for talking the facts about the coin, while most of others in the debate insisted about fairness of the launch. They could not argue with me with facts, they could only shut me down by banning me, and thats exactly what happened.

The point is, you won't get banned on mcxnow for shittalking their own coin or any coin, while on cryptsy you can get banned for not really shittalking, but actually revealing the facts that others were too lazy to check at that time. And thats the one of the reasons I prefer mcxnow over cryptsy..

I use both, though, and cryptsy has brought a lot of value to the market as well.. So keep up the good work, both mcx and cryptsy.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: