Bitcoin Forum
June 01, 2024, 12:37:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BlockChain.info - Privacy and Anonymity  (Read 698 times)
johhnny99 (OP)

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 12:22:13 PM
Last edit: July 24, 2013, 12:55:59 PM by johhnny99

Hi, I'm new here and new to Bitcoin world! I was wondering how anonymous and private are online wallets, like blockchain, coinbase etc.

I'm specially interested in BlockChain because they seem to have a good amount of security. I read their privacy policy and their was this..

What we collect
We may collect the following information:

Contact information including email address, skype or google talk username
iPhone or mobile device identifier
ip address
Yubikey or other two factor authentication token
and this ..

What we do with the information we gather
We require this information to understand your needs and provide you with a better service, and in particular for the following reasons:

Payment Notifications
Internal record keeping.
We may use the information to improve our products and services.
We may periodically send promotional emails about new updates which we think you may find interesting using the email address which you have provided.
and also this ..

Controlling your personal information
We will not sell, distribute or lease your personal information to third parties unless we are required by law to do so. We may use your personal information to send you promotional information about third parties which we think you may find interesting if you tell us that you wish this to happen.

Piecing all this together, it means that they can associate a wallet with some personally identified information like email which is* shared with gov agencies. And they don't allow closing accounts, which makes it more suspicious. I know I can download the client and use it, instead of them but would like to learn.

What do you guys think about it? What is your opinion about anonymity of blockchain and other online wallets in general?

*the policy says may but with the current prism scandal, I don't believe that.

bitcoin44me

Activity: 252
Merit: 100

MARKETPLACE FOR PAID ADVICE LIVE BROADCASTS

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 12:40:24 PM

Nobody is anonymous on internet. And when you're dealing with money, there are some rules and laws that apply.
You can either, as you told, accept those, or just use something else.

You can use a fake email address, and don't give phone number or whatever.

jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1255

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 12:40:34 PM

Please change your title to Blockchain.info

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
chainkey

Activity: 9

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 12:55:08 PM
Last edit: July 25, 2013, 08:26:58 AM by chainkey

Currently I'm having big problems with Blockchain.info shared send function.
I'm waiting now already more then 24 hours for more then 5 BTC to arrive at my address when already have more then 100 confirmations.

RECEIVED MY COINS AFTER 48 HOURS! SO PLEASE FORGET THE PROBLEM I MENTIONED
johhnny99 (OP)

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 12:56:50 PM

Please change your title to Blockchain.info

Done Smiley
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 12:57:58 PM

Send shared seems broken with Blockchain.info. I'm sure piuk will fix it eventually.

Why would you use a wallet that destroys your privacy in the first place (change address reuse) and then sells it back to you for 0.5%? Some web wallets are ethical and offer you free mixing right off the bat.

Roll Eyes
chainkey

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 02:44:45 PM

Send shared seems broken with Blockchain.info. I'm sure piuk will fix it eventually.

Why would you use a wallet that destroys your privacy in the first place (change address reuse) and then sells it back to you for 0.5%? Some web wallets are ethical and offer you free mixing right off the bat.

Roll Eyes

Well this is a pretty sick bug then! I will open a topic about my case as soon as I'm able to post, I did some testing and 50% of my 8 shared send transactions did not came through, but the money did arrived at someone else! For now piuk owns me more then $600.

Can you tell me about those web wallets, do you use them? No unreliable ones please.
btcton
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1007

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 03:26:29 PM

Roll Eyes

Well this is a pretty sick bug then! I will open a topic about my case as soon as I'm able to post, I did some testing and 50% of my 8 shared send transactions did not came through, but the money did arrived at someone else! For now piuk owns me more then $600.

Can you tell me about those web wallets, do you use them? No unreliable ones please.

Blockchain.info is safe. If you look at the source code, you can see how your wallet is decrypted client-side, which means there is no way for them to know your password be it encrypted or decrypted. The only e-mail I have gotten from them is the one with the identifier that you receive when you register, no spam at all. The rest of what it says is mostly so that they don't get arrested if the government decides to interfere with bitcoin.

The signature campaign posters adding useless redundant fluff to their posts to reach their minimum word count are lowering my IQ.
johhnny99 (OP)

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 04:03:42 PM

Roll Eyes

This is not a good news. Does that mean we cannot trust them with shared send?
chainkey

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 04:12:37 PM

Roll Eyes

Blockchain.info is safe. If you look at the source code, you can see how your wallet is decrypted client-side, which means there is no way for them to know your password be it encrypted or decrypted. The only e-mail I have gotten from them is the one with the identifier that you receive when you register, no spam at all. The rest of what it says is mostly so that they don't get arrested if the government decides to interfere with bitcoin.

We are not talking about Blockchain's login safety or security, we are talking about a bug which makes coins disappear when using the shared send function on their site. I just saw someone else also having troubles as well in this topic https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=260525.0
No one seems to care?
johhnny99 (OP)

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 04:44:03 PM

Roll Eyes

Can you(or someone) please elaborate a little more, what is meant by address reuse here?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: