Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 10:49:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Etherium mining rig hardware?  (Read 295 times)
pix530 (OP)

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 01:33:21 AM

Hello,

Looking to build a rig, have some questions.

1) Would you guys go with 6 or 8 GPU? (Ive seen people doing both options, but Im afraid 8 can be an issue with cards setup).

2) Motherboard selection:
MSI Z270 GAMING PRO (up to Cool
ASUS PRIME Z270-P (up to Cool
Gigabyte Z270P-D3 (up to 7)

3) GPU selection:
MSI RX570 Gaming 4GB or
GIGABYTE Radeon RX 570 GAMING
GIGABYTE AORUS Radeon RX 570 4GB

I dont see reasons to buy 580 8GB as same hash rate and more power

4) What is best OS from your experience? W10/EthOS/etc?

5) Most people now use 2 PSUx750W or 850W, is it really necessary?

I did research before asking this.

Thank you very much
leonix007

Activity: 1008
Merit: 297

Grow with community

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 02:35:38 AM

Hello,

1) Would you guys go with 6 or 8 GPU? (Ive seen people doing both options, but Im afraid 8 can be an issue with cards setup).

3) GPU selection:
MSI RX570 Gaming 4GB or

miner wise, of course 8GPU is a beast, however some challenges ahead await to make it all worked this includes hardware issues and powering/configure(mod)/tweaks them actually. for newbie I advice to start small at least, get familiar with it, then go with the beast mode  Grin

with 8GB Some algo has higher hashrates compared to 4GB

I do windows, a friendly user, not so much into getting in command lines. Just use the OS you are most comfortable with

Nah, its not necessary, if you could buy 1600w psu instead of two 750 then why not.

Goodluck to your Mining journey
je_jeph

Activity: 117
Merit: 10

"One Token to Move Anything Anywhere"

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 02:55:12 AM

im also want to build mining rig using
motherboard : biostar b250 btc
procie : i7 7700
gpu : 6x 1080ti (i still looking for which brand i want to use) any suggestion please
ram : 8gb ddr3
psu : 2x psu corsair hx1000i
hd : 500gb
ssd : 250gb
is it enough?
can anyone tell me how much that rig can make /day?

Core007

Activity: 12

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 03:08:27 AM

gpu : 6x 1080ti (i still looking for which brand i want to use) any suggestion please
is it enough?

Not sure if 1080ti's are worth it. And you don't need an i7 in a mining rig.

Hello,

3) GPU selection:
MSI RX570 Gaming 4GB or

I did research before asking this.

Thank you very much

I don't have an opinion on the motherboard choice, look up issues faced using the particular models.

The 8GB cards have better chips and/or will run faster. Once cards are all modded you can see a 3-4 Mh/s increase in hashrate.

There is also the ever growing dag file but 4GB cards will last until end of 2020 and possibly beyond as far as I know. That saying I would get the 8GB 570's if you can find them, preferably sapphire. I've heard the MSI Armor cards suck, but can't verify that as I've never used them. Also people are having issues with the latest revisions of 8GB 580's by gigabyte from what I've read. Their later revisions of cards always suck imo, ie locking down voltage control among other things (ala 7970 OC)

Agree with other poster about getting one large PSU, unless you are getting a mining board that have sockets for multiple PSUs. Therefore you could possibly find a couple/few bargains on 750W+ units.

Normally I would say reduce power as m uch as possible in a mining rig but with Decred up at $90 US it may be worth dual mining.....................It wasn't previously in my opinion.

leonix007

Grow with community

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 03:14:30 AM

is it enough?

Brands dont usually matter as it varies a little high or low hashrates differences depending on the clocks, what I use to look for is the temperature management, dual fans will be way more too cooler than single ones.

this is a worth reading regarding 1080ti mining

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1940567.0

Online calculators will give you profit reference for the day, however take note that this is changing drastically

Whattomine.com
je_jeph

Activity: 117
Merit: 10

"One Token to Move Anything Anywhere"

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 03:35:16 AM

is it enough?

Brands dont usually matter as it varies a little high or low hashrates differences depending on the clocks, what I use to look for is the temperature management, dual fans will be way more too cooler than single ones.

this is a worth reading regarding 1080ti mining

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1940567.0

Online calculators will give you profit reference for the day, however take note that this is changing drastically

Whattomine.com
i see,so better cool on the gpu is more hash right?
i choose msi or asus strix because they have triple fan on it
thanks for your suggestion

drycounty

Activity: 16

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 03:44:44 AM

My rig has that Z270Z Gaming motherboard, and I went with (2) 1070s (8GB) and (2) 570s (4GB).  The difference between hashes of the GPUs is night and day, can't get above 20-21Mh/s on the 570 and 31-32 on the 1070s.
edwardceng

Activity: 266
Merit: 50

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 05:49:03 AM

if I like max 6 GPU, because if I have a problem better easy to be solved.So far using W10 for mining more stable, although his win sometimes automatic update. When using PSU accordingly how the need for power consumption. It's point give more space power for other parts.

Core007

Activity: 12

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 07:02:03 AM

My rig has that Z270Z Gaming motherboard, and I went with (2) 1070s (8GB) and (2) 570s (4GB).  The difference between hashes of the GPUs is night and day, can't get above 20-21Mh/s on the 570 and 31-32 on the 1070s.

You need to mod the bios on 470/480/570/580 cards. Along with the blockchain driver they are still the best bang for buck. I'd suggest 8GB 570's with modded bios etc they will do 30+ hashrate.

4GB cards will do 27 Mh/s+ on any of the above GPUs. And that is with a basic memory strap adjustment int he bios file. You can easily adjust the core clock in the bios flash too, once you have found the sweet spot for the GPU in terms of mining speeds. I lock my 470/480 4GB cards to 1000 core and with adjusted memory straps I'm getting 27.3 Mh/s ethereum solo mining and using 72W and 77W in the HWinfo readings. (A bit more in reality and at wall obviously)

570's will not get as low voltage so people bag them out, but you will find they excel at dual mining ie Eth and DCR.
pix530 (OP)

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 09:35:14 PM

leonix007, Thank you very much. I agree with this approach, so will start with 6GPU and upgrade to 8 as have experience and time to do so.

Understand 8GB cards seems to be better in general.

Just use the OS you are most comfortable with
- Im comfortable with any OS. And really have no preference. GUI seems to be easier in terms of apps support and mod options.
Cant figure yet how Linux gpu mod would work. Just matter of time.

Goodluck to your Mining journey
- Thank you, its exciting.

is it enough?
- I7 is overkill, HDD power is overkill, how much u use calculator and u should know ur hashrate.

Core007, Seems like there are some sort of issues with any mb and gpus. Thats why Im trying to select less problematic equipment. Not ASUS - I got 3 MB dead already. My old Gigabyte is solid as rock btw.
For PSU - I ve asked why people use 2 PSU and answer was for better price and stability. 2x750W cost less than one huge 1500W and its more robust.

- Did you mod 570? 1070 cost double and take much more power.

HadadC

Activity: 266
Merit: 1

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 10:02:24 PM

Save money like15.000 $ and go buy a special hardwares , build set up find a electricty (free) and go Smiley

❤   humancoin   ❤ (https://www.humancoin.net/)
Join our whitelist!
█A new era of charity █
marvel213

Activity: 280
Merit: 13

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 10:02:49 PM

You do not want to mine ethereum with that rig.  You mine other algos like neoscrypt equihash lararev2

Don't skimp on the power supply.  Different algos really stress on power supplies.  If you don't have enough power your power supply will go..

I had 4 power supplies die on me...  I used 2 650 watts to build RX480 build.

You want to go at least 2 850 watts each or 2 1000 watts.
pix530 (OP)

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 10:19:23 PM

You do not want to mine ethereum with that rig.  You mine other algos like neoscrypt equihash lararev2

- How you convert algos to fiat/btc/eth?
- Sure thing, 2x850 works for 8 gpu.
leonix007

Grow with community

View Profile
December 21, 2017, 12:10:02 AM

You do not want to mine ethereum with that rig.  You mine other algos like neoscrypt equihash lararev2

- How you convert algos to fiat/btc/eth?
- Sure thing, 2x850 works for 8 gpu.

You can do conversion thru Crypto Exchanges, just choose any reputable exchanges like Coinbase, Bittrex, Bitfinex, however due to recent hacking attacks particularly in nicehash, I am now avoiding storing my coins online and starting to create my own wallet and running nodes. Grin
pix530 (OP)

View Profile
December 21, 2017, 01:06:10 AM

You can do conversion thru Crypto Exchanges, just choose any reputable exchanges like Coinbase, Bittrex, Bitfinex, however due to recent hacking attacks particularly in nicehash, I am now avoiding storing my coins online and starting to create my own wallet and running nodes. Grin

- This is clear, so basically I mine algo and convert to reputable coins if required. Depends on what is more profitable ATM.
- I have my own wallet already, cant trust these exchanges at all.
marvel213

View Profile
December 22, 2017, 08:46:22 PM

You mine coins like ZenCash, Zcash, Mona, Vivo, Bitcoin gold..  Sell them on exchange.

What is more profitable is what you think will be profitable.  Some people don't mine the most profitable coins.  Instead mine less profitable coins and bag hold them.  Sell then when it's high.

Start out and figure out what mining is about.  Get ready troubleshoot because you will have to.  You won't make tons of money with 1 mining rig.  There might be times where you won't make a profit at all.  Prices have dropped 20% just today.. 
pix530 (OP)

View Profile
December 22, 2017, 09:37:01 PM

Sure, I just want to make sure I build most reliable and profitable rig.
Troubleshooting is my bread, I am not afraid of it at all.
Want to start right way, as Ive seen completely different opinions, for example some people do 6 GPU, some do exclusively 8. Some use W10, other only Linux.
I work with CLI daily so there is no fear to run Linux.

But generally I want to start right, so when I build more rigs, I have similar setup for all of them. I know how unification is important in terms of support and scalability.

PS: I know price dropped, thats fine.
marvel213

View Profile
December 22, 2017, 10:01:29 PM

Troubleshooting is pain in the ass man especially when you are also dealing with heat.  lol..  When it works you do nothing and collect coins.

If you are dealing with multiple rigs like me later on you will have to deal with heat.  I don't mine in my house.  I tried.  My city sized apartment turned into a furnace in the Summer time with only 2 rig.  It's not place you want to be.  Now I rent a office space where I mine.

I'm also very technical with computers but it's a bitch to find what the problem is when some of your GPU's turn sick because you are 100 load on GPU 24/7.  Miner go down and you have to find the root of the problem.  That's why I say go with good ample power supply because you want to eliminate every problem before it starts.
marvel213

View Profile
December 22, 2017, 10:06:06 PM

If you want to go easy on your wallet you can do a GTX 1060 or RX570 build.

I just built a GTX 1060 build.  Mining Neoscrypt.  Does about 700kH/s.  My RX570/RX480 do 700-750KH but they produce more heat and consume more electricity.
skullcracker101

Activity: 5

View Profile
December 22, 2017, 11:18:25 PM
Last edit: December 22, 2017, 11:51:33 PM by skullcracker101

Thanks for the information. Probably not a popular idea, but wondering how it could be done to mine using an ARM chip set only, not AMD or Intel, on something as silly as a raspberry pi networked versus all in one tower. Of course, the motherboard issues may exist to get the NVIDIA and AMD GPU’s to work and have proper drivers installed, if ARM based chipset boards even support them video cards. Many talks over using Windows 10 64 OS, but what about Linux, and which version, Ubuntu, Red Hat? Open source versus Microsoft, such an open edged sword. Then, with the new AMD Ryzen chips out, would they be a better bet than lowly Intel celerons?

I’’ve thought to get the Z270M board as I am most focused on the fastest bus speed on a motherboard utilizing a multi-core processor such as the latest AMD Ryzen chips or Intel’s i8’s that just came out. Maybe overkill, but I want speed through and through. Might even custom wire my board using silver mixed sauder versus the garbage they are currently using. I found a supplier for that as it was my plan to do this for a Marshall head anyways. Struggling with the GPU’s though, read up on the RX GPU’s and the Nvidia ones as well. MSRock H110 pro seems possible, but then there are others from MSI and Gigabyte too. Thinking maybe better to combine a massive multicore chip using 4000MhZ Ram, but really, is Corsair any better than Micron, other than salesmen selling it to be better with slick ads on Amazon and fake user reviews to pump up sales? Not a newbie except here, been blogging since before the word was known in 1997. Been using the internet in the Navy since before anyone new of it prior to 1994 in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, btw, hackers.

Would it not make better sense to setup two to four smaller rigs networked as servers working in sync where the GPU’s are only four per build to minimize heat issues and use a quad core i5 chip versus the big buck i9’s or new AMD Ryzens (beasts so I’’ve seen from early geekbench tests). And then, with all the talk of heatsinks, Apple laptops found a way to thermal cool without loud fans and huge power draws. As did Windows Acer gaming laptops. Now there are other CPU’s from IBM and ARM, any thoughts on if they’’d be a better chip to bypass the computer inside the chip for theft purposes by domestic and foreign spy agencies? Purism laptops are quite keen on this, as is the book Spychips, and the British upstart called Pinebook laptops.

Finally, who to trust for mining software? Coinbase I am sure as well as various Linux boards make the sale for their preferred OS’s , but to trust Microsoft Windows when they exclusively bank in the central banking system when mining cryptocurrencies was always about decentralizing banking freeing the world of their fiat inflation-based system where the inflation sets in at 3% but wages stay the same or drop, so in truth, everything costs more and you make less money, not exactly a friendly gesture for upward mobility from a middle class paycheck to paycheck existence, more like getting a thief in the pocket after payday because now the eggs cost $6 a dozen when they were $4 for vegetarian fed hen eggs ... and no one got a raise to counter that 3% targeted inflation rate the FED pulls their hair out over. So guess what, you make less money now. Prices went up, your pay did not. Understand this is not a game, it is demanding central banks tell us where they spend their money and who gets this newly printed (digital number) stack of Euros and Dollars.

So who to trust when the BIS and the world central banking authorities know this all too well the real game going on here? I have to ask these questions as well as probe for quality advice on a cost effective build that produces quality hash rates for alternative coin minings, as Bitcoin mining is dead.

I am mostly interested in multiple mining of the following three Cryptos: Litecoin (MIT and American invention, unlike Bitcoin), Ethereum and Monero (supposedly the most anonymous of the new cryptos) and maybe a new one just taking off I’’m not up to speed on yet. This crypto mining also targets the credit card companies worldwide that also behave like central banks creating money out of nowhere, called your $15,000 Platinum Visa newly approved for you with no interest until 2020, yeah! Lol. Does anyone see the whole picture here?

And if you all are truly paranoid, figure out how to build a large refrigerator where holes are drilled out and then sealed after the electrical wires are run through them to power the computers inside it. Would this not ultimately eliminate cooling issues if running in a steady 45 degree fahrenheit or 10 degree celsius environment and shield the systems from NSA rogue agents driving by to access your chips illegally? Don’’t even get me started in what I know about them criminals and their gangstalking ways. We need to hack their brains now and see if they like it. Make sure to give them a stroke too when done, it is their playbook, btw. But I digress. Thanks for reading, and any quality thoughts and suggestions are truly appreciated. Peace out.

“Who stole my memories?”

One final note, if anyone is interested in having an AI countermeasure CD to trash the satellites destroying your minds, I have them for sale in 100 bulk lots. I will only accept payment in the form of One 1/10 ounce Gold American Eagles certified as authentic by the US Treasury and available for sale every single day per 100 lot CDR’s I personally burn. I will split the proceeds from the one who sent it to me. He may need the cash to update the countermeasure to fry them damn torture devices done en masse to population centers worldwide. Catching on? You know how to contact me here. Payment upfront, then you get the bulk lot. I will provide a mailing box for mailing them authentic gold coins. Otherwise, send 10 1 ounce American Eagle silver coins. I only trust US Treasury minted coins. Going once, going twice ... sold?
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: