Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 03:15:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: why do people buy computers, with possible trojans pre-installed?  (Read 3526 times)
vforvendetta

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 12, 2011, 07:51:50 PM

His issue is not with the autoupdate, but with the closed source nature of everything it downloads. Antivirus programs have numerous times caught and considered actual system files as virii. With no way of looking into the source for those binaries, there's no way to be sure that the program wasn't right. (note, this is just my tin hat speaking, I hate windows for completely different reasons)

Open source is inherently safer, due to the fact that you can examine the source, and see what it's actually doing.

I agree it is - my qualm is not with open source (as I've said I have released my own small open source software before), but with the way in which he is presenting it. His insinuations are dishonest at best and self-serving at worst.

and people know this, and are scared of it. look at facebook, people are crying and screaming about privacy issues.
but they don't know what microsoft or apple can do with their computers. people are just ignoring/unknowing the fact that they can have access to their computers.

on this forum some people are paranoid that the governements or corporations are gonna rape them in the ass, but they still use windows or mac, not knowing what they can do if they like.

open source are not suspicious, you can read the source, and verify that it is not malicious. you can't do that with closed source.

You've probably read my reply to myrkul - it also applies to this post. It is illegal to install malicious software on a machine or otherwise gain unnecessary access without the owner's consent - this is usually through a EULA or some other terms of use agreement. As a result, you can, under the protection of law (at least in the US) feel reasonably comfortable that any corporation is going to think twice...or three or four times before abusing their trust. Moreover, even without the laws protecting you, the backlash against the company would be enormous and would hurt them financially. It should go without saying that it would be a very poor business decision if the abuse were ever to come to light.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2011, 07:55:37 PM

I agree, this whole thread reeks of FUD, but I think he's just a little overzealous in his championing of Open Source.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
kokjo (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

You are WRONG!

View Profile
July 12, 2011, 08:11:58 PM

I agree, this whole thread reeks of FUD, but I think he's just a little overzealous in his championing of Open Source.
FUT - Fear, uncertainty and truth
FUD - Fear, uncertainty and doubt

there is no doubt in my posts, only truth.
the only doubt there is if microsoft has or has not put malware in windows computers, which i don't know, but i don't think they would.
oh. see now im protectin microsoft! it is based on logic, it would be very very stupid of them to put malware on computers, bad bad PR.

but still, they can do it if they like, there is nothing to stop them.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
vforvendetta

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 12, 2011, 10:00:46 PM

the only doubt there is if microsoft has or has not put malware in windows computers, which i don't know, but i don't think they would.
oh. see now im protectin microsoft! it is based on logic, it would be very very stupid of them to put malware on computers, bad bad PR.

Exactly my point - so you have nothing to worry about. Anyway, I like linux systems, I just don't use them because it's not practical for me to do so. Perhaps as computing advances open source solutions will become more popular.  Smiley
kokjo (OP)
Legendary

You are WRONG!

View Profile
July 12, 2011, 10:06:48 PM

Exactly my point - so you have nothing to worry about. Anyway, I like linux systems, I just don't use them because it's not practical for me to do so. Perhaps as computing advances open source solutions will become more popular.  Smiley
the question still stands: why do paranoid people on this forum use windows or mac or any other closed source os? (windows and mac are the most popular)

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
myrkul

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2011, 10:19:34 PM

the question still stands: why do paranoid people on this forum use windows or mac or any other closed source os? (windows and mac are the most popular)

If it had been phrased like this, I don't think there would have been nearly so much confusion. Why, indeed, to all these tin-hat wearing paranoid bitcoiners use windows, the LEAST secure operating system out there?

How many trojan threads are there?

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
kokjo (OP)
Legendary

You are WRONG!

View Profile
July 12, 2011, 10:25:22 PM

If it had been phrased like this, I don't think there would have been nearly so much confusion. Why, indeed, to all these tin-hat wearing paranoid bitcoiners use windows, the LEAST secure operating system out there?

How many trojan threads are there?
i could make a trojan to linux if i wanted to, no problem! (obfuscated python script, or precompiled 'miner')
why the hell use a possible-trojan os? (sorry if sounding overzealous)

myrkul

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2011, 10:38:04 PM

i could make a trojan to linux if i wanted to, no problem! (obfuscated python script, or precompiled 'miner')

You could, but it would be discovered almost immediately.

kokjo (OP)
Legendary

You are WRONG!

View Profile
July 12, 2011, 10:51:22 PM

maybe, but not if i was smart enough, and did include an secure autoupdate(covert communication channel) feature.

1. make obfuscated trojan with secure autoupdate.
2. let it be installed on many machines.
3. send malicious 'update', that sends the wallet to me, via the covert channel.
4. profit.

very simple.

myrkul

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2011, 11:05:49 PM

maybe, but not if i was smart enough, and did include an secure autoupdate(covert communication channel) feature.

3. send malicious 'update', that sends the wallet to me, via the covert channel.
4. profit.

very simple.

Then what's your problem with windows, if the same method can be used on any other OS?

kokjo (OP)
Legendary

You are WRONG!

View Profile
July 12, 2011, 11:28:34 PM

4. profit.

very simple.

Then what's your problem with windows, if the same method can be used on any other OS?
only if you do something stupid(install closed source apps). and of course there are stupid users, that would do it.

windows is possible trojan os, it already haves autoupdate feature.
microsoft can push anything into a windows computer, and not being caught, they can push executable code directly into your computer.
Linus Torvalds can't push anything into a linux computer, he can push it to the source tree, where anyone can read/verify his code.

of course most distros also have autoupdate features, but they are open. yes they do push executable code into you computer, but you can always get the code yourself and compile it, and there is nearly always a reason along with the update, and explanation why its needed. there is also often a open debate about the code before it gets included in a update.

open source is peer reviewed, and therefor secure.

get the point?

myrkul

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2011, 11:40:15 PM

open source is peer reviewed, and therefor secure.

Oh, I get your point. If Bill Gates wanted to, well, not Bill anymore, he hasn't touched windows code in years, but if someone in Microsoft wanted to, they could slip a trojan into pretty much any software update they wanted to.

Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: