Bitcoin Forum
June 07, 2024, 07:31:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: TERRACOIN ATTACK OVER 1.2TH ATTACK CONFIRMD  (Read 28099 times)
No_2

Activity: 901
Merit: 1033

BTC: the beginning of stake-based public resources

View Profile
July 27, 2013, 01:17:07 AM

Since TRC is based off the BTC source, is the 6 hour thing something BTC fixed previously that TRC never copied? Or is it a TRC-specific bug?

TRC not only didn't copy the fix, it made it worse.  Asymmetrical difficulty changes (where difficulty can go down more than it can go up) allows the attacker to amplify the effects of the attack.  No serious crypto-currency can have an asymmetrical difficulty system.  It is trivial to exploit.

This is a very clear explanation, thanks.
mcgreed

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 27, 2013, 01:34:01 AM

Terracoin update 0.1.3-42 is now available for download at our sourceforge mirror and github repository. . .

Download links:
---------------

source: master branch at https://github.com/terracoin/terracoin

windows binaries:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/terracoin/files/SatoshiClone/terracoin-0.1.3-42-win32.zip/download

Source-based update:
--------------------
If you previously cloned our repository, you may update using:

cd /path/to/your/local/clone/
git checkout master  # locally on the master branch locally
git pull origin master  # fetches and merges remote master branch

# headless daemon:
cd src
nice make -f makefile.unix -j 4
strip terracoind

# qt-client:
cd /path/to/your/local/clone/
qmake USE_IPV6=-
nice make -j 4
strip terracoin-qt

--
TRC.

Thanks for posting this update link!
RoadTrain
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1009

View Profile
July 27, 2013, 01:53:03 AM

I wonder what happens when #175000 is reached. Attacker seems to have a lot of power.
How long is the sampling interval for difficulty changes?
Graet
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2013, 02:19:43 AM

you guys realise chain hopping has been happening since before NMC was merge mined with BTC? I am sure some of you have done it yourselves (actually people in this thread have admitted to it)- so this guy has lots more hashpower than you? ....bummer
ASIC were always going to screw up sha-256 alt coins - this is no surprise.Miners were working out which alt coins would be viable to mine ASICs on before deliveries even started.

I don't see evidence of an attack, just a miner doing what many others have been for years, what makes him unusual is the size of the hashrate - don't worry there will be more and more like him as more ASIC devices get delivered.

| Ozcoin Pooled Mining Pty Ltd https://ozcoin.net Double Geometric Reward System https://lc.ozcoin.net for Litecoin mining DGM| https://crowncloud.net VPS and Dedicated Servers for the BTC community
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2013, 02:22:30 AM

Hence merged mining... no hopping needed, just mine all of them at once.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
RoadTrain
Legendary

View Profile
July 27, 2013, 02:23:19 AM

you guys realise chain hopping has been happening since before NMC was merge mined with BTC? I am sure some of you have done it yourselves (actually people in this thread have admitted to it)- so this guy has lots more hashpower than you? ....bummer
ASIC were always going to screw up sha-256 alt coins - this is no surprise.Miners were working out which alt coins would be viable to mine ASICs on before deliveries even started.

I don't see evidence of an attack, just a miner doing what many others have been for years, what makes him unusual is the size of the hashrate - don't worry there will be more and more like him as more ASIC devices get delivered.
You don't see evidence of timewarp attack? You'd better look more clearly at blockchain.
Lucko

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 27, 2013, 02:25:20 AM

I would agree if he wouldn't do 51%(80% in his case) attack and timewarp attack...
roy7

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 27, 2013, 02:43:19 AM

TRC had some problems early in the year with an ASIC coming in and out of the chain and it was dealt with. This has nothing to do with that, and how you cannot see "evidence of an attack" when there are hundreds of blocks introduced on the blockchain simultaneously with invalid difficulties because of the timestamp/timewarp attack boggles my mind.
roy7

Activity: 434

View Profile
July 27, 2013, 02:44:43 AM

I would agree if he wouldn't do 51%(80% in his case) attack and timewarp attack...

I don't trust the network hash figures from the explorer at the moment given the way he can mine blocks at a different difficulty than the rest of us. A 51% attack on bitcoin, for instance, still has to obey the difficulty rules.
RoadTrain
Legendary

View Profile
July 27, 2013, 04:11:45 AM
Last edit: July 27, 2013, 05:06:35 AM by RoadTrain

This is the attacker's address.
Code:
1PAnMKuTs9R4U9FF7xdQSmQc655d2r9zeB
And here you can see it's current balance: http://trc.cryptocoinexplorer.com/chain/Terracoin/q/addressbalance/1PAnMKuTs9R4U9FF7xdQSmQc655d2r9zeB
It's 131119.8705 currently.

As an attacker seems to have enough hashrate for 51% he can continue manipulating difficulty even after halving is removed.
The easiest way to lower difficulty is creating a specific chain of blocks. As actual spacing is limited to 1.5 * 2min = 3 minutes when calculating EMA, an attacker needs to make every second block 3 min in the future from previous, and the make next block in the past. By creating such a chain of blocks where even blocks are in th future and uneven are in the past he can manupulate the difficulty down.

This is because when actual spacing between blocks is negative, terracoin assumes it to be 2 min so it doesn't affect retargeting.
Look here if you want:
https://github.com/terracoin/terracoin/blob/master/src/main.cpp#L1160

PS. It's what I got from sources, if I am mistaken please let me know.
dreamwatcher
Legendary

Activity: 1064

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2013, 06:23:43 AM

Just a quick FYI:

The daemon on CCE has been updated to the new version on Github.

turtle83

Activity: 322

Supersonic

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2013, 08:45:36 AM

To think of it in another way.... 3600 GH/s is approximately what one would get from a single batch of Avalon chip orders... and I think first deliveries started couple of weeks ago.

neotrix

Activity: 428

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2013, 11:11:27 AM

You don't see evidence? timestamp... Yes you need glasses

Thanks for support to attacker

Crypto-trade.com : https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=149458.0
https://koddos.com and http://kovpslayer.com.  "Bitcointalkdiscount" to get 10% discount recurring.
Carra23
Legendary

Activity: 980

Need a campaign manager? PM me

View Profile
July 27, 2013, 11:24:14 AM

Can anybody give a small summary of what happened? Seems confusing at the moment. I have some TRCs and am wondering whether they will be worthless.
Arbitrageur

Activity: 556
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 27, 2013, 11:31:27 AM

I wonder what happens when #175000 is reached. Attacker seems to have a lot of power.
How long is the sampling interval for difficulty changes?

I'm asking the same questions, 800 block to 175000, then what? scenarios? can some expert outline some possible outcomes?
negerkolle

Activity: 59
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 27, 2013, 11:40:53 AM

Well that's a point of view.

Another example : someone hack your own bank with a weakness in your computer. Theft your saving. Then you will have same point of view about exploid of weakness in your computer? Or so I could say as you : dont let in your bank account what you can afford to lose?

Point of views are different according what we own or not in a quoted situation. I agree with you about that.

It is not a point of view, it is the rules of the game. Let me explain why there is a big difference. .

You do not seem to understand that the only rule when it comes to cryptos is that whoever control 51% of the network makes the rules. Whenever you put any money into a crypto that is not proof of stake you basically agree to this rule. Hope you understand that, because it is a very important point of how cryptos work.

So because not enough people found it worthwhile to put their hashing power towards protecting TRC, it was possible for one person to get more than 51% thus now controlling the rules of the coin. This person then decided that the old difficulty adjustment rule was something he wanted to change and did so. Guess what, nothing wrong has happened here. He threw a lot of hashing power towards TRC because he found it more valueable then everyone else and took advantage of the rules og the game.
RoadTrain
Legendary

View Profile
July 27, 2013, 02:21:50 PM

So because not enough people found it worthwhile to put their hashing power towards protecting TRC, it was possible for one person to get more than 51% thus now controlling the rules of the coin. This person then decided that the old difficulty adjustment rule was something he wanted to change and did so. Guess what, nothing wrong has happened here. He threw a lot of hashing power towards TRC because he found it more valueable then everyone else and took advantage of the rules og the game.
He just wanted to earn profits, don't overestimate Wink
iluvpcs

Activity: 314

:)

View Profile
July 27, 2013, 04:35:42 PM

So the only other real answer until block 175k is to have an additional call to 1000-3000 GH come online and mitigate his 'twisting' of the block chain from his >51% manipulation of the current chain?
crazyearner (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1820
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 27, 2013, 06:05:04 PM

https://github.com/terracoin/terracoin/issues/12

some updates from the devs.

=
  R E B E L L I O U S 
  ▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄                           ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄
▄▀        █▄▄                     ▄▄█        ▀▄
█            █████████████████████            █
█▄          ██       ██ ██       ██          ▄█
█        █            █            █        █
  █    █               █               █    █
   █ ██               █ █               ██ █
    █ █               █ █               █ █
    █ ███▄  █████▄   ██ ██   ▄█████  ▄███ █
    █     ███     █         █     ███     █
     █   █   ▀███ █  █   █  █ ███▀   █   █
     █   █      █ █  █   █  █ █      █   █
     █   █      ██  █     █  ██      █   █
      █  █     ██  █       █  ██     █  █
      █  █    ██  █ ███████ █  ██    █  █
      █ ███   ██  █         █  ██   ███ █
       █   ▀███      █   █      ███▀   █
        █     ██       █       ██     █
         █      █   ▄▄███▄▄   █      █
          ███   ███▀       ▀███   ███
             █████           █████
                  ███████████
  ▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄                           ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄
▄▀        █▄▄                     ▄▄█        ▀▄
█            █████████████████████            █
█▄          ██       ██ ██       ██          ▄█
█        █            █            █        █
  █    █               █               █    █
   █ ██               █ █               ██ █
    █ █               █ █               █ █
    █ ███▄  █████▄   ██ ██   ▄█████  ▄███ █
    █     ███     █         █     ███     █
     █   █   ▀███ █  █   █  █ ███▀   █   █
     █   █      █ █  █   █  █ █      █   █
     █   █      ██  █     █  ██      █   █
      █  █     ██  █       █  ██     █  █
      █  █    ██  █ ███████ █  ██    █  █
      █ ███   ██  █         █  ██   ███ █
       █   ▀███      █   █      ███▀   █
        █     ██       █       ██     █
         █      █   ▄▄███▄▄   █      █
          ███   ███▀       ▀███   ███
             █████           █████
                  ███████████
  R E B E L L I O U S
Arbitrageur

Activity: 556
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 27, 2013, 07:12:55 PM

we just hit block 175000
now? blocks seem to be generated at same high pace... difficulty is already on the rise though
how long will it take to get back to normal?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: