Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 01:08:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: TERRACOIN ATTACK OVER 1.2TH ATTACK CONFIRMD  (Read 28097 times)
roy7

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 12:52:13 PM

Difficulty isn't stabilized yet. The EMA difficulty algorithm swings like a pendulum around the target until it settles down, at least until hash rate changes. So after block 175K it shot up above 400K (because there were so many too-fast blocks before that), down to 5K, now it's almost to 100K but the increases have gotten small enough I'm guessing it's just a few blocks from going down again. It'll probably not go quite as low as 5K, then go back up again but not as high as 100K.

Another "bounce" or two and it should be around the range it used to be before all of this happened. We had a lot of hash power getting us through that first 400K diff hump, but there's a lot less out there now to get through this smaller 100K diff hump.

TRC isn't profitable to mine vs BTC right now, so it relies on people willing to help out to get sanity restored.
roy7

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 12:53:35 PM

Oops, I just woke up. Block 175092 was the 2nd peak, at 99K diff. It's on the way back down now.
FuzzyBear
Legendary

Activity: 1420
Merit: 1010

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2013, 12:56:55 PM

Oops, I just woke up. Block 175092 was the 2nd peak, at 99K diff. It's on the way back down now.
well that will teach u for sleeping!! Don't you know sleep is for the weak Tongue

***** Earn DEV at http://devtome.com *****
Chronikka

Activity: 658
Merit: 504

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 01:36:56 PM

Well in that case I'll help the network stabilize. Not much just ~3.5 gh/s but its something lol. I just didn't want to start mining and then find out its taking a day or more for a block and everybody is abandoning lol. Personally I hope TRC survives this because I think it has some very important improvements over bitcoin...and somebody else obviously feels the same otherwise why bother to attack it?

"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination"  -Albert Einstein
ISAWHIM

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 02:22:28 PM

Noticed all my mined coins were no longer showing as the same address...

I know this seems far-fetched... but...

Are you guys sure that someone didn't purposely release a "branch" or "update", that makes all miners mine on that address that seems to be getting all the coins? EG, using the credentials of that wallet, thus we are all essentially pool-mining into that one wallet for someones personal gain.

My wallet is filled with mined-blocks with addresses that don't appear on any block-chain. They were all confirmed, then now, mysteriously after the 44 update, they disappeared and no chains have "completed". (Deleted the entire block-chain and nodes, several times, redownloaded it several times, and it always says 8 hours left, and never gets the last 8 hours of blocks.)

Seems someone hard-coded in a fork that was invalid, and there are sooo many versions out there, creating more forks, which are also invalid. I don't think there is a legitimate fork anymore, to build off of. Might be why those who download from the beginning, can't connect, because we actually SEE the audited chain with the invalid block transactions... as opposed to those who are just building off an invalid chain that were once forks, and were not actually audited, since they were hard-coded, and the program told them the chain was correct.

Who exactly decides to add hard-coded blocks into the chain, and "pick" which fork is correct? Apparently they did it wrong, or did that on purpose. (The one reaping the rewards?)

Great, you compile the code yourselves... but do you actually look at the code? That is the whole purpose of compiling yourself... so you can be sure you are compiling something that is not tainted.

Wallets need a way to detect multiple chains, and let us select the ones to mine from. As opposed to just assuming the longest one is real, without actually auditing it, before joining it. (If only for times like this, where every block shows as an orphan, and there seems to be five hard forks. I have seen five "end-block" values in all my downloading... none that are valid, and matching any of the block-explorers, so the block-explorer is on the wrong side of the fence too.)
roy7

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 02:49:18 PM
Last edit: July 30, 2013, 05:08:39 PM by roy7

The block explorer is correct. There is a hard fork that happened at 175000 between people that applied the mandatory update prior to that, and those who did not. If you are on the right chain, the client will still at times say you are 'behind' or 'syncing' but you can ignore that. Those messages come because a peer connects to you and says "I have a newer block than you". They talk for a while, -44 client realizes the blocks they are trying to send are no good, and bans the peer for 24 hours.

The pools, BTC-E, and explorer are all in sync and coins are moving properly between them and show up on the block chain.

The key is to check the tooltip for your wallet and if it says "Processing X of Y" where X is the latest block on the explorer, you are golden. Ignore the Y number. You an run -44 with -reindex and it should fix you up, you'll sync as soon as the next block is found and distributed.
turtle83

Activity: 322

Supersonic

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2013, 03:26:38 PM

Great, you compile the code yourselves... but do you actually look at the code? That is the whole purpose of compiling yourself... so you can be sure you are compiling something that is not tainted.

https://github.com/terracoin/terracoin/commits/master

I always skim over the diffs.

Anyone can read the full source if they wanted and raise an alarm if something was off. Thats the advantage of opensource, and compiling your own binaries. Im pretty sure if something malicious made it into the repo it would be noticed and made public immediately.... but i cant say the same for binaries...

ISAWHIM

Activity: 504

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 08:11:12 PM

Well, I am not golden, nor are many of the pools... And I think you only "think" you are golden... (You might have gotten on the right chain, by luck. But I assume you are on the chain that I was, when it looked "golden" to me... but was a dud-chain, producing blocks that were useless and invalid, though they showed in the wallet, as if they were valid.)

Doing all the above, results in fail.

Being 8 days behind, and not being able to mine, and when I can mine, the blocks that were valid, later disappear... is not "golden".

I will laugh when you find you have mined all week long, and all the coins you think you have mined, are all gone, the next time you restart the wallet.

Which block-explorer is right.... there are two, not the same results. Every pool I see is generating all orphans.

Current diffs showing as... 71960.69, 5183.834, and 5432311.847...

Which fork are you on, that you "think" is the right one?
turtle83

Supersonic

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2013, 08:28:15 PM

Well, I am not golden, nor are many of the pools... And I think you only "think" you are golden... (You might have gotten on the right chain, by luck. But I assume you are on the chain that I was, when it looked "golden" to me... but was a dud-chain, producing blocks that were useless and invalid, though they showed in the wallet, as if they were valid.)

Doing all the above, results in fail.

Being 8 days behind, and not being able to mine, and when I can mine, the blocks that were valid, later disappear... is not "golden".

I will laugh when you find you have mined all week long, and all the coins you think you have mined, are all gone, the next time you restart the wallet.

Which block-explorer is right.... there are two, not the same results. Every pool I see is generating all orphans.

Current diffs showing as... 71960.69, 5183.834, and 5432311.847...

Which fork are you on, that you "think" is the right one?

If you upgrade to the latest client, and re-sync the blockchain, im pretty sure ull end up with the same chain as http://trc.cryptocoinexplorer.com/ . Tried it twice, same results.

roy7

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 08:35:29 PM

Current block 175098 with difficulty 63031 is the correct chain.

http://trc.cryptocoinexplorer.com/block/000000000000db5e0afa0cc2b30a08c11ffa41429597f2252477694dab5ec60f

Is the correct block 175097.

RoyMiningCo, Redpoint, Multipool, Hynodeva are all working on 175098. P2Pool nodes using the github patch to support Terracoin -44 are working this chain as well. Coinotron hasn't resumed mining yet but we know he's upgraded to new client via IRC.

DustCoin and CoinChoose web sites show this as the correct block.

If you see any crypto web sites that aren't on this chain you should let them know to install -44 and run -reindex. If you want to pop into IRC later tonight, maybe someone can zip up the block chain for you to download directly if you just can't seem to sync properly off the peers.
roy7

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 08:42:57 PM
Last edit: July 30, 2013, 08:57:02 PM by roy7

I have seen five "end-block" values in all my downloading... none that are valid, and matching any of the block-explorers, so the block-explorer is on the wrong side of the fence too.)

Remember that the "Processing X of Y" message in the TRC wallet doesn't mean Y is correct or that you are on a chain with Y. It means you have processed up to block X, and some peer is trying to send you a chain ending in block Y. A peer with a short chain is silently and immediately ignore. A peer with a longer chain your client will talk to, to see if it has better info that you do. However, if you are synced properly it'll recognize they are wrong and ban that peer for 24 hours. Of course, the "of Y" message in the tooltip returns every time a new peer tries to give you newer blocks that aren't correct.

If your wallet says "Processing block 175097 of Y" then I'd say you are on the right chain, no matter what the value of Y is. Y might change to various numbers as various forked peers try to lead you astray. But it won't work, and you'll sit on 175097 until the next block is found.
turtle83

Supersonic

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2013, 09:57:29 PM

yay current block diff down to 45657 ... i guess 1 or 2 more blocks to reach positive ROI levels...

bcp19

Activity: 532

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 10:43:38 PM

yay current block diff down to 45657 ... i guess 1 or 2 more blocks to reach positive ROI levels...
Then the attacker will dump his systems onto the coin and cause another spike.

I do not suffer fools gladly... "Captain!  We're surrounded!"
I embrace my inner Kool-Aid.
turtle83

Supersonic

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2013, 11:12:32 PM

But... since time wrap exploit has been fixed... they wont be able to do as much damage as before...

bcp19

Activity: 532

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 11:14:09 PM

But... since time wrap exploit has been fixed... they wont be able to do as much damage as before...
really?

1PAnMKuTs9R4U9FF7xdQSmQc655d2r9zeB sent 6279.8705 to 13kfKR1BS9gtsxppMeqDTx4rAvbwWjvYSL in block 174999.  According to the block chain, 13kfKR1BS9gtsxppMeqDTx4rAvbwWjvYSL has since mined blocks 175027-175037, 175064-175074 and 175076-175080.  Sure looks like he's stil 51%ing the network when he wants to with those numbers.

I do not suffer fools gladly... "Captain!  We're surrounded!"
I embrace my inner Kool-Aid.
roy7

View Profile
July 31, 2013, 01:56:52 AM

Very possible but not happening atm it seems. I'm interested to see how difficulty will work long-term without the halving code in there.

In the last 13 blocks we've stayed between 33783 - 39113 in spite of two peaks. So the direction changes and speed of difficulty adjustment has mellowed out at last.
roy7

View Profile
July 31, 2013, 02:50:09 AM

13kf popped in with diff got down to 10K. On the way back up a bit now.

He might have the hash power for a 51% attack, don't know. Only way to prevent that is for more people to mine, but that's true for every coin.
bitcoinreactor

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 31, 2013, 02:51:06 AM

i'm affraid network is way too small to resist any chain hoppers or regular spikes from relatively heavy miners joining the party

EDIT : profit indicators sites are also starting to mark it as "green green green!" "Boogidy boogidy boogidy, lets go racin"

BTC: 17CHqn3XE3Waf7Qfkm9p2MQE1VgB8gVbG4
roy7

View Profile
July 31, 2013, 02:54:30 AM

CoinChoose has right block # but showing wrong difficulty, so the profit % is off. Dustcoin has correct block # and difficulty, showing TRC around 245% a few minutes ago.

We should start attracting back more miners I'd think with difficulty floating between this level and ~90% of BTC at prior peak.

Wish CoinChoose had correct difficulty on their site though.
roy7

View Profile
July 31, 2013, 03:34:24 AM

Recent difficulty graph:

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: