Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 09:09:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mtgox exchange in free fall $$$$  (Read 3329 times)
Bitcoincrazy (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 05, 2011, 02:50:58 PM

Well I bought in at 16.10 and just sold at 13.00 after mtgox kept going down, now the price is very unstable got to 12.50 now it's at 13.00

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
smokie128

Activity: 14

View Profile
July 05, 2011, 02:56:35 PM

I hope this is just the usual jitter... It'd be bad if prices went down for a longer period.
Bought some Coins just the other day just to see prices drop down today  Cry
Alex Beckenham

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 05, 2011, 03:04:51 PM

Well I bought in at 16.10 and just sold at 13.00 after mtgox kept going down, now the price is very unstable got to 12.50 now it's at 13.00

a) Why did you buy them?
b) Why did you sell them?

zerokwel

Activity: 464
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 05, 2011, 03:14:56 PM

I sold at 17 something. And Have my buy order in for when it hits a number I like.... love people who panic sell..
flattyfrog

Activity: 3

View Profile
July 05, 2011, 03:21:38 PM

I sold at 17 something. And Have my buy order in for when it hits a number I like.... love people who panic sell..

Indeed.  I just wish that it didn't take so *LONG* for $ to get to Dwolla from my bank.  I'm new at this and don't have funds available where I can get them into the 'bitcoin system' quickly.  I want to scoop up some of these panic sells! Grin
Bitcoincrazy (OP)

Activity: 6

View Profile
July 05, 2011, 03:26:52 PM

In my case it wasnt panic I think its trending down time to bale, now 12.75 @ mtgox Wink
totedati

Activity: 22

View Profile
July 05, 2011, 03:27:07 PM

well, i hope nobody expect stable exchange prices to bitcoins when is all so new and prices is not so much coupled with real goods markets

right now we sell $ or € for bitcoins or buy bitcoins in exchange of $ or € ... until will begin to sell and buy bitcoins to real goods, real meals, real popcorns, real houses and so on, will be a wild market

mtgox 12.75 $
Superform

Activity: 56

View Profile
July 05, 2011, 03:29:46 PM

i blame the hackers who are zombie farming btc and dumping them on the market.. this shizle could go on for years
SlipperySlope

Activity: 686
Merit: 501

Stephen Reed

View Profile
July 05, 2011, 03:32:45 PM

I liquidated my 12 month mining hoard at $15.5.

As I write this, the price on Mt Gox just dropped through $13 and is at $12.75.  Way back in April, 2011, one could buy a bitcoin for a dollar.  I speculate that we will return to at least the April price level as the bubble deflates.
smokie128

Activity: 14

View Profile
July 05, 2011, 03:39:16 PM

There should be a way to exclude botnets...
For example, some kind of notification once a week that's hardcoded into the miner. Also, pools should only accept miners that have this notification feature (e.g. by checking the hash of the miner code).
At least, this would ensure that the pools are bot-free...
Further, the original Bitcoin client should have the same feature.

I know that this would only temporarily stop the botnetters, but at least it gives us time to invent a better solution to protect the real Bitcoiners from hordes of Bots.
SlipperySlope

Activity: 686
Merit: 501

Stephen Reed

View Profile
July 05, 2011, 04:01:18 PM

There should be a way to exclude botnets...
For example, some kind of notification once a week that's hardcoded into the miner. Also, pools should only accept miners that have this notification feature (e.g. by checking the hash of the miner code).
At least, this would ensure that the pools are bot-free...
Further, the original Bitcoin client should have the same feature.

I know that this would only temporarily stop the botnetters, but at least it gives us time to invent a better solution to protect the real Bitcoiners from hordes of Bots.
My mining operation is currently affected by the botnet problem.  Here is my understanding of what is being discussed on the BTCGuild pool thread.

A botnet consisting of thousands of nodes was configured by its operator to conduct CPU mining and used BTCGuild as the pool.  These CPU mining workers earned a very low amount of coins each, but in total overwhelmed the pool servers operated by BTCGuild.  As a result of analyzing the situation, the BTCGuild operator blacklisted the IP addresses of the CPU miners - no doubt affected a few legitimate miners who do not care about inefficient mining.

The botnet operator, now denied his bitcoin earnings from BTCGuild, retaliated by performing a distributed denial-of-service attack against BTCGuild.  In such a DDoS attack, each botnet node pretends to be a real pool mining client, but floods the victim server with an overwhelming number of fake requests - thus precluding access by the legitimate clients.

At the time of this post, BTCGuild is offline, and being enhanced to cope with this DDoS attack.  Details can be obtained from the BTCGuild forum thread in the pool section.

supersonic3974

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 05, 2011, 04:40:01 PM

You only lose money trading if you sell lower than you buy.  The only exception to this is if a company goes bankrupt or the price never recovers.  This goes for any market.

If the price drops below what you bought it for, just WAIT.
Agozyen

Activity: 672
Merit: 252

Until the end

View Profile
July 05, 2011, 04:40:45 PM

@ Slipperyslope or anyone that knows...

Dumb question here, but what's to prevent the botnet operator from creating his own mining pool that is exclusivly used by the bots?  
dvavasour

Activity: 2

View Profile
July 05, 2011, 04:48:06 PM

You only lose money trading if you sell lower than you buy.  The only exception to this is if a company goes bankrupt or the price never recovers.  This goes for any market.

No, if you realise the loss, it falls still lower, and you buy in then, your loss is minimised. The fact you're already sitting on a loss shouldn't stop you selling if you think it's going lower still.
Swishercutter

Activity: 210

View Profile
July 05, 2011, 04:48:28 PM

@ Slipperyslope or anyone that knows...

Dumb question here, but what's to prevent the botnet operator from creating his own mining pool that is exclusivly used by the bots?  

Nothing...it would have to be quite the botnet to compete with the current pools.  Btcguild for instance is ~2500gh/s...when its running that is.
gjy4ygfds

Activity: 11

View Profile
July 05, 2011, 04:51:37 PM

That sounds great and all, but it doesn't really make sense. The price may never come back up, in which case he would lose far more by not selling now. Taking a small loss is better than losing everything.

Of course in this case prices will more than likely be back up in a few days, but that's another topic.
supersonic3974

View Profile
July 05, 2011, 04:54:08 PM

No, if you realise the loss, it falls still lower, and you buy in then, your loss is minimised. The fact you're already sitting on a loss shouldn't stop you selling if you think it's going lower still.

That still doesn't negate the fact that you lose money if you sell lower than you buy.  You don't know what is going to happen in the future, so waiting to buy in doesn't guarantee that the price won't keep dropping.  What's better than minimizing a loss is not accepting a loss.  That's the reason most day traders fail.
zerokwel

Activity: 464
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 05, 2011, 04:54:14 PM

yea if the price drops I normally buy some more depending on how much of a risk. that way it it has to go up less to make yourself come out even.

anyway 12.40 is around my magic number.
supersonic3974

View Profile
July 05, 2011, 04:56:49 PM

That sounds great and all, but it doesn't really make sense. The price may never come back up, in which case he would lose far more by not selling now. Taking a small loss is better than losing everything.

Of course in this case prices will more than likely be back up in a few days, but that's another topic.

That's why I included those two exceptions in the original post.  Losing a little money over and over again can lead to losing it all.  Also, the number one rule of trading is to not use money that you aren't willing to lose.
Swishercutter

Activity: 210

View Profile
July 05, 2011, 04:58:03 PM

yea if the price drops I normally buy some more depending on how much of a risk. that way it it has to go up less to make yourself come out even.

anyway 12.40 is around my magic number.

That is what I was always taught by people who actually end up making money...panic sellers are the same ones who tell you not to invest ever.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: