Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 08:12:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013-07-25 Daily Beast: The Government’s Perilous Bitcoin Chase  (Read 733 times)
n8rwJeTt8TrrLKPa55eU (OP)

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 25, 2013, 12:18:27 PM

I thought by now the press had matured enough on Bitcoin to leave behind these kinds of one-sided fearmongering hatchet jobs...but clearly this planet has an endless supply of lazy stooges calling themselves journalists.

Nothing can strip the shine off a cool trend as quickly as national security officials sharing how it is poised to become a cutting-edge tool in terrorists’ ongoing death-to-America project. As such, I want to thank David Cohen, the Treasury’s Undersecretary for Terrorism and Financial Intelligence, and John Carlin, acting Assistant Attorney General for National Security—distinguished and otherwise delightful members of a panel I moderated at the Aspen Institute’s National Security Forum this past weekend—for casting a sinister shadow over what I had previously assumed to be the harmless if quirky Bitcoin craze.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/07/25/the-government-s-perilous-bitcoin-chase.html

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
westkybitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
July 25, 2013, 01:51:45 PM

I thought by now the press had matured enough on Bitcoin to leave behind these kinds of one-sided fearmongering hatchet jobs...but clearly this planet has an endless supply of lazy stooges calling themselves journalists.

Nothing can strip the shine off a cool trend as quickly as national security officials sharing how it is poised to become a cutting-edge tool in terrorists’ ongoing death-to-America project. As such, I want to thank [a couple of feds] for casting a sinister shadow over what I had previously assumed to be the harmless if quirky Bitcoin craze.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/07/25/the-government-s-perilous-bitcoin-chase.html

Thanking them for scaring him about an obviously ingenious technology. Wow. Nice.

Bet he'd also probably squeal with glee if he ever got a pat on the head from them for this. Makes you wonder.

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
aigeezer
Legendary

Activity: 1450
Merit: 1013

Cryptanalyst castrated by his government, 1952

View Profile
July 25, 2013, 02:29:36 PM
Last edit: July 25, 2013, 04:09:16 PM by aigeezer

Bet he'd also probably squeal with glee if he ever got a pat on the head from them for this. Makes you wonder.

The author is a woman. The story is revolting. However, there's Royal Baby news and some Weiner fluff on the same page so for some I guess it's not a total loss.      Smiley

Edit: the comments are building up at the site and many are interesting. Check out "GroundskeeperWillie". Surely it's a sock puppet, but whose?

Here's my fave so far:

"Inflationator

You know the funny thing about terrorist is they want to set up a government."

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: