Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 12:46:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Dare to be Rich!  (Read 5271 times)
RHorning

Activity: 224
Merit: 141

View Profile
January 07, 2011, 02:22:39 PM

Nothing wrong with a little sarcasm to tell the truth.  Look at how CNN, MSNBC, etc. has failed to counter FOX News while 'The Daily Show With Jon Stewart' is the only show capable of countering Fox's exaggeration with their own humorous slant.  Quite effective IMOP. 

The Internet is full of wrong info and one just need some good B.S. filters.  You are probably an older guy but a lot of kids and teenagers  would fall for this Ponzi stuff.  I fell for one once when I was a teenager.

You are missing the point:  This is a personal attack against the original poster.  The fact that it is continuing to drag out only emphasizes that fact.  Pointedly making the statement that this is a Ponzi scheme and that it is a waste of money and time is fine, but what I'm saying here is that this is going over the top.

Then again I hate Steven Cobert and Jon Stewart, but that is just me.  I just think this is bad decorum and something that should be called on the carpet as inappropriate behavior.  Personal attacks are something that IMHO should not be generally tolerated on public forums and this is opening up a can of worms if such behavior is tolerated.  That the personal attacks are not against me personally only emphasizes why I think this is inappropriate behavior and why threads of this nature ought to be simply locked when it gets to this level of silliness.

I know there are a bunch of kids on this forum, but we are talking about some serious issues that require adult conversation here.  This is not adult conversation that is happening on this thread.  At the very lease, move this thread to the off-topic section as it no longer even references Bitcoins.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jimbobway
Legendary

Activity: 1304
Merit: 1014

View Profile
January 07, 2011, 02:51:12 PM
Last edit: January 07, 2011, 03:26:31 PM by jimbobway

It is not a personal attack.  It attacks the idea, not the person and therefore is not personal.  

I am just glad I got some laughs out of this and brightened some people's day.  The world is dreary as it is.  Speaking of humor have you seen the Bitcoin protester?

http://www.bitcoinblogger.com/2011/01/power-of-bitcoins.html
genjix
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1072

View Profile
January 07, 2011, 07:00:40 PM

Hey,

Lighten up a little.

threads of this nature ought to be simply locked when it gets to this level of silliness.

This sounds very authoritarian. Just ignore a thread if you don't like it. Don't try limit others free speech. It's not easy to take you soapbox elsewhere as this forum is the major bitcoin conduit.
RHorning

Activity: 224
Merit: 141

View Profile
January 07, 2011, 11:19:22 PM

Hey,

Lighten up a little.

threads of this nature ought to be simply locked when it gets to this level of silliness.

This sounds very authoritarian. Just ignore a thread if you don't like it. Don't try limit others free speech. It's not easy to take you soapbox elsewhere as this forum is the major bitcoin conduit.

When your speech crosses the line of being at the expense of somebody else, you have crossed the line.  Yes, I realize this is a small thing, but small things become big things.  I'm just asking you to grow up a bit, but perhaps I'm hanging around a bunch of kids here who don't give a damn.  So be it.

BTW, this is a personal attack, regardless of how you are trying to disguise this as a joke.  It is also a relatively new participant on this forum who is the blunt end of the joke, which only makes this worse.  If you are so clueless as to not notice that, you and those on this forum are simply in a hopeless situation.

It isn't about silencing speech here in terms of stopping the spread of an idea, it is about showing some respect to others... something I'm not seeing on this thread.  The fact that you are now (admittedly lightly) turning your attack against me only goes to show that is an issue.  What I'm attacking is that this humor has gone past the point of simply a crude joke which isn't really discussing anything of substance at all.
jimbobway
Legendary

Activity: 1304
Merit: 1014

View Profile
January 08, 2011, 12:34:22 AM
Last edit: January 08, 2011, 01:40:38 AM by jimbobway

Hey,

Lighten up a little.

When your speech crosses the line of being at the expense of somebody else, you have crossed the line.  Yes, I realize this is a small thing, but small things become big things.  I'm just asking you to grow up a bit, but perhaps I'm hanging around a bunch of kids here who don't give a damn.  So be it.

BTW, this is a personal attack, regardless of how you are trying to disguise this as a joke.  It is also a relatively new participant on this forum who is the blunt end of the joke, which only makes this worse.  If you are so clueless as to not notice that, you and those on this forum are simply in a hopeless situation.

It isn't about silencing speech here in terms of stopping the spread of an idea, it is about showing some respect to others... something I'm not seeing on this thread.  The fact that you are now (admittedly lightly) turning your attack against me only goes to show that is an issue.  What I'm attacking is that this humor has gone past the point of simply a crude joke which isn't really discussing anything of substance at all.

Now you are saying we are attacking you?  By your definition almost anything can now be a personal attack.  To me a personal attack is, "So and so is a moron!  So and so is so stupid and lame!"  This is the Internets and there are more vile things out there than jokes, for instance, bitcoin scam artists.

You want me to respect someone who is advertising a Ponzi scheme?  Yes, he is new here but respect is earned, not automatically given.  I respect that he is a forum user, but not the fact that he is trying to mislead people with a scam.  And I respect you too but I just don't know if we have the same sense of humor.

fabianhjr

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

Do The Evolution

View Profile
January 08, 2011, 02:35:55 AM

Well at least the owner seems to be returning just what you "invested" we should ask him to make an elaborated and humorous letter explaining what the "investors" did wrong, that they could had been scammed, and an explanation of all types of scams so that they don't fall for it ever again.

lucky

Activity: 51
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 09, 2011, 09:48:48 PM

I'm just glad that at least somebody had the guts to call this a scam.  It is, of the most basic and illegal variety... with a good reason why stuff like this is usually declared illegal in most countries.  As long as Bitcoins are seen as play money and not worth anything, I suppose this is a harmless diversion that I'd still recommend against, but it certainly shouldn't be something encouraged.

Well, the creator freely admits it's an unsustainable Ponzi scheme.  It's not fraud if the "fraudster" is up front and tells you he's de"fraud"ing you at the time, is it?

I'm fairly sure it'll be profitable to join if you join towards the start and pull your money out soon after you make a return on your investment.  Ponzi schemes remain profitable for investors so long as there is a continuous influx of new investors.
fabianhjr

Do The Evolution

View Profile
January 09, 2011, 09:53:45 PM

Yes though that would make you as guilty as him.

lucky

Activity: 51
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 09, 2011, 09:58:56 PM

Yes though that would make you as guilty as him.

Guilty of what?  Fraud and scamming require deception.  There is none here on the part of the original creator (who openly labelled it a Ponzi scheme).
fabianhjr

Do The Evolution

View Profile
January 09, 2011, 10:19:15 PM

Well, the official site doesn't mention it. Unless it is in big letters: This is a Ponzi Scheme and I am free to stop it and take any remaining money at any time then he could be pottentially be found guilty of fraud. However, he has only been returning your money.

davux

Activity: 288
Merit: 263

Firstbits.com/1davux

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2011, 10:37:56 PM

Well, the official site doesn't mention it. Unless it is in big letters: This is a Ponzi Scheme and I am free to stop it and take any remaining money at any time then he could be pottentially be found guilty of fraud. However, he has only been returning your money.

MyBitcoin.com is also free to stop its service anytime. Is it a scam too?

The point is, the website makes it clear that you are sending 1 BTC and you'll randomly get fractions of it upon future members' inscriptions, if there are any. The exact way it works is documented, there's no lying or deceiving of any sort. I subscribed (http://fxnet.co.cc/?ref=283) and sent 1 BTC – when doing so, I was perfectly aware that I might never see it again, but hey, that's part of the game, and a risk I voluntarily accepted to take out of fun.

1DavuxH9tLqU4c7zvG387aTG4mA7BcRpp2
México (Oaxaca) – France - Leeds
fabianhjr

Do The Evolution

View Profile
January 09, 2011, 11:16:34 PM

LOL, ok, it doesn't matter. Tongue

genjix
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1072

View Profile
January 10, 2011, 09:25:26 AM

Hey,

Lighten up a little.

When your speech crosses the line of being at the expense of somebody else, you have crossed the line.  Yes, I realize this is a small thing, but small things become big things.  I'm just asking you to grow up a bit, but perhaps I'm hanging around a bunch of kids here who don't give a damn.  So be it.

BTW, this is a personal attack, regardless of how you are trying to disguise this as a joke.  It is also a relatively new participant on this forum who is the blunt end of the joke, which only makes this worse.  If you are so clueless as to not notice that, you and those on this forum are simply in a hopeless situation.

It isn't about silencing speech here in terms of stopping the spread of an idea, it is about showing some respect to others... something I'm not seeing on this thread.  The fact that you are now (admittedly lightly) turning your attack against me only goes to show that is an issue.  What I'm attacking is that this humor has gone past the point of simply a crude joke which isn't really discussing anything of substance at all.

I was trying to be polite and friendly, but you lashed out aggressively. You do this because you feel frustrated (your aggressive tone) and you care more than I do (hence your multiple long replies). Not sure why you're attacking me when I was trying to mediate. If you had a clear winning point then you wouldn't feel the need to attack others (calling me a kid) or defend yourself.

And yes, you don't get to pick and choose what you censor. Censorship is restricting free speech. Don't try to twist it any other way than you don't like the speech that you're reading and so want to impose your force onto others.

I've called you out. Any further response from you (to what I've said here) shows you're invested in this convo more than I am (I don't care enough to post further in this thread). cya
ronaldmaustin (OP)

Activity: 143
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 10, 2011, 01:15:39 PM

I hate to contradict someone who is coming out and speaking in my defense, but I was the original poster and I did admit pretty early on that this was just a troll.  Some other member on here, long before I ever got here, created this Bitcoin pyramid scheme and admitted it was just that.  As it required all of one bitcoin, or about thirty cents to join, I did just that and took the suggestion on the site to post the reference link.  I could not post the link in good faith, so I did kind of a troll post that I made from a scene in the movie Bustin' Loose with Richard Pryor, where he plays a conman who distinguishes his pyramid from the rest by calling it a trapezoid and saying it mathematically guarantees profit because it has four corners.  I thought the responses were pretty funny and took no offense.  Hope nobody lost big here.  I spent one bitcoin and have thus far gotten back two payments of .02 bitcoins from the scheme.
Enky1974

Activity: 254

View Profile
February 15, 2011, 06:09:54 PM

MyBitcoin.com is also free to stop its service anytime. Is it a scam too?

The point is, the website makes it clear that you are sending 1 BTC and you'll randomly get fractions of it upon future members' inscriptions, if there are any. The exact way it works is documented, there's no lying or deceiving of any sort. I subscribed (http://fxnet.co.cc/?ref=283) and sent 1 BTC – when doing so, I was perfectly aware that I might never see it again, but hey, that's part of the game, and a risk I voluntarily accepted to take out of fun.

I agree, for just 1 btc, i did it for fun and let's see:)
Bye

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

+░░+Legendary Bitcoiner+░░

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2014, 03:12:39 AM

You should be honest about what you're doing:
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ponzi_scheme

I was honest.  The site is not mine.  I'm just a member.  I paid nothing to join and I've only spent 1 Bitcoin which currently is about 30 cents.  I will never need to invest more than that to make a profit.  A Ponzi scheme is where the money from later "investors" is used to pay earlier ones and there is no underlying investment which is what people think they are investing in.  The guy running the Ponzi scheme, like Madoff, keeps the money.  Here there is no question that there is no underlying investment and that people who come in later at the bottom of the chain will not get as much, or anything, but that those at the top of the chain make more money.  This is typically called a Pyramid or Multi Level Marketing.  And, besides, this is a Trapezoid.  FOUR CORNERS.  And, my bad, I forgot to explain how it works.  First it doubles.  Then it splits.  Then this happens again.  And again.  That's what it means to be a trapezoid.  With this there appears to be not two, but a three pronged split.  Very well thought out by the programmer.  Instead of 1,2,4,8 we have 1,3,6,12 ... already a 50% increase by just the fourth step. WOW!

This is so old.  I am involved with the a type of marketing called the Pentagon and it is waaaay better than your Trapezoid.  Don't listen to him and listen to me.  I will send you details of the Pentagon Multi Level Marekting if you PM me!

Next year I plan to come out with the Hexagon Multi Level Marketing.  You see, it is time based and when one gets old a new type of marketing must come out!  Send some bitcoins to me and I will tell you how it's done.  Don't do the Trapezoid, do the Pentagon and soon to be Hexagon.

+1 "legit"... mm k?     Cheesy

Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 03:39:06 AM

You found an Epic, funny old thread, and Bitcoins were only ~30 cents each.

InstantBitcoin

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

+░░+Legendary Bitcoiner+░░

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2014, 04:17:00 AM

You found an Epic, funny old thread, and Bitcoins were only ~30 cents each.

(necro post:)  ^wat?  i just sent one BTC to try it out see if it works!  Wink  *fingers crossed*

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: