Bitcoin Forum
June 03, 2024, 04:04:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Current best powered risers available?  (Read 1767 times)
Bellator

Activity: 826
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 05, 2018, 10:50:36 PM

make sure the risers are isolated from the case.

Well I don't think some of those operating miners miss it out isolating the risers from the case. Its an important options to do since that the hardware is very sensitive to heat and dust being accumulated during the running conditions. Proper handling is one of the good ways to observe specially the investments in mining harware is costly.

QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
January 06, 2018, 04:25:19 AM

Every riser I've seen to date comes with a fairly thick "rubbery pad" on the bottom that works as an insulator, and isolated screwholes for mounting.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
dcjim1

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 06, 2018, 09:38:23 AM

Thanks.

I'm also wondering if it makes sense to buy an all-in-one riser (with all 3 power sockets SATA/Molex/6Pin), instead of a single 6PIN riser board?

The only issue is the location of 6pin socket of  all-in-one riser is in the middle right next to the pcie slot. The single purpose 6pin riser boards have them in the back.

I will have the gpu cards line up parallel to each other, so if the 6pin socket must go in between the cards there will be some air flow issues? much rather have them in the back so the power cable doesnt have to go between the gpu cards which could get pretty hot?
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
January 06, 2018, 08:24:55 PM

If I could find a GOOD MOLEX riser, I'd go with it - but so far no luck.
The all-in-one risers I've gotten from COBOC via Newegg have been hassle-free.
The Mintcell all-in-one risers worked, but the USB cable was iffy and had to be replaced to work well on one.

Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
VyprBTC

Activity: 350
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 06, 2018, 08:40:51 PM

The Mintcell all-in-one risers worked, but the USB cable was iffy and had to be replaced to work well on one.

USB Cables I received were rigid white ones, and I was having problems with more than a few of them. Waiting on new longer cables now but so far that's what seems to be the main issue. I do like them so far though.
bigjee

Activity: 434
Merit: 107

View Profile
January 06, 2018, 10:07:42 PM

Every riser I've seen to date comes with a fairly thick "rubbery pad" on the bottom that works as an insulator, and isolated screwholes for mounting.

The very first riser I bought a ver 006C didnt come with insulation.
I had to cutout the black foam packaging in my gpu box to fit under the riser and then I zip tied it.

I recently bought an Add2psu and it was missing the bottom insulation also.  Huh
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
January 07, 2018, 08:28:00 PM

I've never used an add2PSU on my own rigs (though the rig I consulted on for someone else used one) so I can't really speak to those.

64dimensions

Activity: 578
Merit: 508

View Profile
January 07, 2018, 10:20:06 PM

It seems like this riser with the same rev and appearance is available on amazon at a cheaper price:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074Z754LT/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've used them for a couple of weeks with no problems so far.
dcjim1

Activity: 41

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 08:59:46 AM

whats the reason for choosing Molex over 6PIN riser board?

Is it better to hook them up via Molex instead of  single 8pin pcie cable with 6pin piggy tail?
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 08:49:54 PM

Limitations on available PCI-E power connections on power supplies is why I prefer MOLEX powered risers - nothing to do with the power connector itself as both are plenty to handle riser power requirements.

I don't like using "splitters" when I can avoid them - and most splitters are too short to WORK anyway.

They're also an added expense, while the power supply comes with MOLEX power leads that generally don't get used otherwise.

zeef

Activity: 301

View Profile
September 06, 2018, 12:27:05 AM

Hi guys,

I have one vega 64 rig with this risers: https://miningwholesale.eu/product/pci-express-riser-009s-extender-card-adapter-6-pin/   (PCEN164P-N03)

The rig is rocked stable for months,

My doubt is the color of the riser leds, they are permanet red since the beggining,  shouldn t be blue, im seeing rigs that is blue for normal functionality .. Smiley

My rig:  https://s15.postimg.cc/xk2advqjr/64_rig.png

Thanks
Comino

Activity: 182
Merit: 7

No noise. No hustle. Quiet as whisper. Comino.

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2018, 09:00:17 AM

When you choose a riser, consider:

1. high-quality plugs
2. Gold-fingers in knife connector
3. use a good quality commutation cable
4. solid capacitors not electrolytic
5. use a power converter of a major manufacturer, not Chinese

**COMINO** 
WORLD'S FIRST LIQUID COOLED GPU MINER
200 MH/s * 30dB(A) ASUS, Noctua, Chieftech, HardwareLabs
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
September 10, 2018, 06:41:56 PM

When you choose a riser, consider:

4. solid capacitors not electrolytic

Solid capacitors are A TYPE OF electrolytic.

QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
September 10, 2018, 06:44:23 PM

My doubt is the color of the riser leds, they are permanet red since the beggining,  shouldn t be blue, im seeing rigs that is blue for normal functionality .. Smiley

Depends on the riser - all of the ones I've used to date that have a "power good" indicator use a red LED, probably because those are more common and less expensive than blue.

jillscarbrough

Activity: 588
Merit: 335

Steady State Finance

View Profile
September 11, 2018, 03:49:09 PM

The best USB riser is that has (IMO):
  • Lots of capacitors
    some types only have 1 or 2 of these components
  • Led indicator
  • IC component
    because some types do not have this component
  • Voltage Regulator Protect

I have used these type:
  • VER008C
  • VER008S
  • VER006C
  • VER006
dragonmike

Activity: 1274
Merit: 556

View Profile
September 11, 2018, 03:58:02 PM

• Lots of capacitors
  • Led indicator
  • IC component

I have used these type:
  • VER008C
  • VER008S
  • VER006C
  • VER006

Out of all these you listed, most have SATA power connectors.
That kinda sucks.
Only VER006 has molex (they include SATA adaptors but you don't have to use them - could just connect molex directly from PSU).
jillscarbrough

Activity: 588
Merit: 335

Steady State Finance

View Profile
September 11, 2018, 04:24:22 PM

Yes, I know.
Until now I use it because I like to use various types of USB Risers to find out every performance. I have enough SATA / Molex connectors from the PSU. I intentionally did it not only saw the rig run smoothly but tried to learn every component in the Rig even though it took extra time.

The most important are these points:
  • Lots of capacitors
  • Led indicator
  • IC component
gsrcrxsi314

Activity: 367
Merit: 34

View Profile
September 11, 2018, 05:55:31 PM

In my opinion, the best risers are the Blue V006c risers that have a single 6-pin power connection that is front facing.

This is because you can put the cards closer together without having anything between the cards. The V008 risers are nice with multiple connection types, but having the SATA front facing and the 6-pin on the side is pointless. When using the 6-pin connector on V008, it causes clearance issues between cards when you want to push the cards tightly together.

Personally I’m most cases, I use a splitter to split a single 8-pin PCIe connector to 2x 6+2 pin connectors. I then plug one into the riser and one into the cards PCIe connector. Allowing me to reduce cable clutter and power both the card and the riser from the same single 8-pin PCIe. Works great.
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
September 11, 2018, 08:18:25 PM

This is because you can put the cards closer together without having anything between the cards. The V008 risers are nice with multiple connection types, but having the SATA front facing and the 6-pin on the side is pointless. When using the 6-pin connector on V008, it causes clearance issues between cards when you want to push the cards tightly together.

Personally I’m most cases, I use a splitter to split a single 8-pin PCIe connector to 2x 6+2 pin connectors. I then plug one into the riser and one into the cards PCIe connector. Allowing me to reduce cable clutter and power both the card and the riser from the same single 8-pin PCIe. Works great.

If you are pushing the cards THAT close together, they're not getting air and overheating.
The triple-power risers are NOT all that wide.

Most multi-card rigs need all the PCI-E power connections to power CARDS with, it's uncommon for there to be enough "spare" PCI-E connections to power more than 1 or 2 risers with them.
Splitting an 8-pin to a pair of 6-pin connectors shouldn't be an issue though, if you use a high quality splitter.

gsrcrxsi314

Activity: 367
Merit: 34

View Profile
September 11, 2018, 08:31:33 PM

If you are pushing the cards THAT close together, they're not getting air and overheating.
The triple-power risers are NOT all that wide.

Most multi-card rigs need all the PCI-E power connections to power CARDS with, it's uncommon for there to be enough "spare" PCI-E connections to power more than 1 or 2 risers with them.
Splitting an 8-pin to a pair of 6-pin connectors shouldn't be an issue though, if you use a high quality splitter.

False. I’ve done this. The cards run just fine. I’m talking about a similar spacing that is in use on the Octominer boards. They don’t have any problems. You don’t know what you’re talking about in a real world situation, just your speculation.

8 cards with very small spacing between cards in a Rosewill RSV-L4500 case with 3 fans on both sides. The cards basically exist in a wind tunnel here and all the hot air is immediately exhausted. And only possible when using a riser with front facing power connections. And since SATA connectors are not reliable, are inferior. My concern isn’t that there is 3 connectors. My concern is that the 6 pin should be the one that is front facing. Using the 6pin is the best option. And if the 6pin is on the side then it puts limits on how close the cards can be. Look at the picture at the bottom of the first page to see what I mean about the power connection being on the side
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: