Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 03:03:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: DetroitCoin  (Read 2886 times)
Kinnardian (OP)

Activity: 38
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
July 25, 2013, 09:21:30 PM

http://blog.inbitbox.com/post/56450714292/detroitcoin-bitcoin-is-the-new-vehicle-currency-why
Join the conversation: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=6104757
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2013, 12:40:53 AM

The same crossed my mind a few days ago. The piece is well written.

I've always stated that I could go to Detroit flat broke and emerge two years later with a million dollars in my pocket--and it's still possible.

Done correctly, Detroit could be a world-class laissez faire city within ten years.
pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1031

View Profile
July 26, 2013, 12:50:25 AM

DetroitCoin, for every coin you mine you will be 2 coins in debt.

dego

Activity: 399
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 26, 2013, 12:52:43 AM

May I propose Freicoin as the right coin to build up a new local economy in Detroit?

Doesn't seem realistic to you? Well, here are some interesting reads:

Stamp Scrip (1993)
Irving Fisher about demurrage experiments in the US:
http://www.freicoin.org/irving-fisher-stamp-scrip-1933-t532.html

Stamp Scrip in the Great Depression: Lessons for Community Currency for Today? (2010)
Jonathan Warner about the same subject
http://www.freicoin.org/stamp-scrip-experiments-in-the-great-depression-t530.html

Stamp Scrip: Money People Paid to Use (2008 (!))
Bruce Champ, Advisor of the FED Cleveland about stamp scrip
http://www.freicoin.org/bruce-champ-advisor-of-the-fed-cleveland-about-stamp-scrip-t528.html
Explodicle

Activity: 950
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 26, 2013, 02:20:39 PM

Freicoin has 80% seigniorage towards a central foundation. It makes for an interesting demurrage test case, but any city should be using a coin that's 100% peer to peer. That means equal rules for all participants, not an unelected cabal spending most of the coins on their own pet charities.
Chef Ramsay
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 26, 2013, 05:10:22 PM

Interesting topic. I'm going down to Comerica Park tonight for the Tiger's game.
ASIC-K

Activity: 280

Hell?

View Profile
July 26, 2013, 05:16:20 PM

detroit blows and needs to be bulldozed
rampantparanoia

Activity: 516
Merit: 283

View Profile
July 26, 2013, 07:38:15 PM

DetroitCoin, for every coin you mine you will be 2 coins in debt.

lol! good one.
leopard2
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1014

View Profile
July 26, 2013, 10:28:12 PM

demurrage experiments have worked many times before in such cases

but that will never happen because debt based, compound interest fiat money serves a few people very well  Angry

Today it is Detroit, tomorrow the whole world  Kiss

Truth is the new hatespeech.
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
July 27, 2013, 02:57:16 AM

Stamp Scrip: Money People Paid to Use (2008 (!))
Bruce Champ, Advisor of the FED Cleveland about stamp scrip
http://www.freicoin.org/bruce-champ-advisor-of-the-fed-cleveland-about-stamp-scrip-t528.html

This one in particular is hilarious.  I'll summarize it for you:  "Americans fucking HATE demurrage currency"

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
atomium
Donator

Activity: 406
Merit: 252

Study the past, if you would divine the future.

View Profile
July 27, 2013, 03:09:06 AM

lets make detroit the bitcoin city
Operatr

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

www.DonateMedia.org

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2013, 09:47:38 AM

Nice article.

The plight of Detroit is certainly a sad one going from shining beacon of industry to a run down crime-ridden cesspool, unfortunately likely just one of the first high profile failures at the hands of the built-to-fail fractional reserve model. I wonder how bad the fallout will truly be once the financial sector eats all that debt, combined with the resulting job loss and additional exodus from the city by people with nothing left to stay for. This unprecedented failure is hopefully waking America up to the simple fact our entire country and society is tearing apart at the seems, left wondering why the US Government did nothing but watch it burn despite Obama's previous statements in 2012 that the city would not be allowed to come to insolvency. Other cities are teetering on the edge as well. The true reality of our dire economic situation is beginning to hit home now.

Bitcoin has a unique property in it is very easy to generate a macro-economy as demonstrated by the 20 or so new blockchains around now since only about 2-3 months ago all interacting with each other in trade. That got me thinking about the future of cryptographic digital currency in a similar fashion to postulating "What if Detroit switched to Bitcoin?". Obviously the city is now a dead husk of its former self that has finally thrown in the towel, crushed under the weight of crooked politics and banking cartels, it would have nothing to lose by acting out in pure defiance to the FED with such a move.

Thinking further into the future, could we exist in a world someday where each country, city, and possibly even large business entities of sufficient market cap trade in their own unique currencies?

Though at a fundamental level, digital currency knows no borders or boundaries as we know them. The freedom to create a new currency with publicly available tools could have a much different economic effect very contrary to how we perceive currency today. With borderless currencies that bow to no governmental master, there is no saying how this will all play out. It will not be a simple matter of every country just creating its own, as every person on Earth could start a new chain and make it popular enough for adoption, rendering borders of countries to be meaningless when it comes to economic activity since that country could be using several digital currencies. Such a macro-economic system where every person, business, and market sector has all manor of choices on what currencies(s) it prefers to deal in would likely be incredibly stable. The death of a currency, or even a whole macro-economy would certainly cause other markets to fluctuate, but with easy access to other alternatives the damage would be contained to that area and able to heal itself naturally when the markets/currencies absorb the aftermath. Possibly the dawn of the first truly free market system?

Well, hopefully someone runs with that idea to create DTC and start pushing it, or just help Detroit adopt cryptocurrencies of any kind to start healing the city and bring fire back to its face-punched economy.

Notanon

Activity: 388

View Profile
July 27, 2013, 10:45:40 AM

Should call it TechnoCoin, as it's probably the only profitable thing coming out of Detroit at this stage.
dego

Activity: 399

View Profile
July 27, 2013, 01:49:08 PM

This one in particular is hilarious.  I'll summarize it for you:  "Americans fucking HATE demurrage currency"

Of course people hate demurrage, It's like a bag filled with corn, but it has holes in it... nevertheless some experiments indicated, that it might(!) be a remedy especially in times of depression and crisis.
Peter Lambert

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye

View Profile
July 27, 2013, 02:00:31 PM

Bitcoin has a unique property in it is very easy to generate a macro-economy as demonstrated by the 20 or so new blockchains around now since only about 2-3 months ago all interacting with each other in trade. That got me thinking about the future of cryptographic digital currency in a similar fashion to postulating "What if Detroit switched to Bitcoin?". Obviously the city is now a dead husk of its former self that has finally thrown in the towel, crushed under the weight of crooked politics and banking cartels, it would have nothing to lose by acting out in pure defiance to the FED with such a move.

Thinking further into the future, could we exist in a world someday where each country, city, and possibly even large business entities of sufficient market cap trade in their own unique currencies?

Why would you want to segment currencies like that? It is much more convinient and useful to have a single currency used across wide areas.

Use CoinBR to trade bitcoin stocks: CoinBR.com

The best place for betting with bitcoin: BitBet.us
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2013, 06:31:16 PM

Why would you want to segment currencies like that? It is much more convinient and useful to have a single currency used across wide areas.

The more crypto-currencies there are, the more the Crypto Barons will trade in and out of them.

"Grandpa, did you build this castle during the Crypto Wars?"
herzmeister
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2013, 11:31:00 AM

---re demurrage currencies: They make sense but only for local/regional currencies, because they encourage circulation of the local currency instead of the "global", giving a boost to local business over "global". Another reason is it's harder to make monetary politics without demurrage, because it's detrimental for small currencies when someone's hoarding too much at one place for too long.

---

Apparently there are some anarchist / agorist initiatives in Detroit now.

http://thestateweekly.com/with-detroits-bankruptcy-anarchists-have-begun-project-free-detroit-starting-a-community-2/

Time for Bitcoin?

https://localbitcoins.com/?ch=80k | BTC: 1LJvmd1iLi199eY7EVKtNQRW3LqZi8ZmmB
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
August 10, 2013, 03:15:21 PM

Detroit could be the first bank-less city. No banks to rob. No muggings. No identity theft. Crowdfunding instead of credit. It could be a good thing.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Kouye

Activity: 336

Cuddling, censored, unicorn-shaped troll.

View Profile
August 10, 2013, 10:51:57 PM
Last edit: August 10, 2013, 11:06:30 PM by Kouye

---re demurrage currencies: They make sense but only for local/regional currencies, because they encourage circulation of the local currency instead of the "global", giving a boost to local business over "global". Another reason is it's harder to make monetary politics without demurrage, because it's detrimental for small currencies when someone's hoarding too much at one place for too long.

---

Apparently there are some anarchist / agorist initiatives in Detroit now.

http://thestateweekly.com/with-detroits-bankruptcy-anarchists-have-begun-project-free-detroit-starting-a-community-2/

Time for Bitcoin?

Although they don't talk about bitcoins in the article, I found that:

http://www.meetup.com/MichiganBitcoiners/members/3607523/

And the article mentions a Katie, too... This smells better and better!

EDIT : She's actually the same person as in the article, and is working together with the OP author, I'm kinda slow... But there's a lot of great reading!

[OVER] RIDDLES 2nd edition --- this was claimed. Look out for 3rd edition!
I won't ever ask for a loan nor offer any escrow service. If I do, please consider my account as hacked.
pisces1999

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 09:10:35 PM

Done correctly, Detroit could be a world-class robbery free city Cool
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: