Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 05:57:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Upgrading to 0.96.3  (Read 91 times)
throwaway1987 (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 23, 2017, 09:55:04 PM

Hi.

I'm new to Armory and have been using 0.96.0 on windows for the past 2 months.

I want to upgrade to the segwit supported version (0.96.3) in order to try and reduce some of the fee increases, but I have some questions before I do.

If I update my offline cold wallet will that erase my current wallet data? It's backed up but I don't want to be diving into my backups if not completely necessary (lots of security).

Do I need to create a new wallet file (and new addresses) within Armory 0.96.3 in order to enable segwit or will my old wallet and addresses be adequate after the version update? How is this process supposed to work? Sorry for my ignorance on the subject, or if this was answer previously, but I couldn't find it in the forum history.

Basically I'd like to know the best practices for updating my Armory wallet to the segwit supporting version.

Thank you
PhoenixFire

Activity: 270
Merit: 36

View Profile
December 24, 2017, 01:18:48 AM

If I update my offline cold wallet will that erase my current wallet data? It's backed up but I don't want to be diving into my backups if not completely necessary (lots of security).
No, it'll still use your existing wallet. By default you can see your wallet files in "%appdata%\Armory" on Windows. Create a copy of that folder on the offline machine if you're really worried?

Do I need to create a new wallet file (and new addresses) within Armory 0.96.3 in order to enable segwit or will my old wallet and addresses be adequate after the version update? How is this process supposed to work?
Nope, existing wallet - just update your preferences for receiving addresses and (potentially) your change address to use P2SH-P2WPKH (segwit - they'll start with a 3 rather than a 1).
Sending right now just to use segwit won't really save you on fees overall... so when fees drop to a level you are happy with send your existing coins over to segwit addresses in your wallet. For new coin purchases/transactions, you should send to a segwit address rather than the old format wherever possible.

As for the software upgrades, Bitcoin core on your online machine needs to have the segwit/witness flag - The latest does, but has been supported for a few versions now.
I'm going to quote a reply I made recently on this which is mostly relevant for you, but you really want to make sure you upgrade to > 0.96.3.99/0.96.4 RC1 from the pinned thread <. See below:

Unless you are worried it is compromised, you can continue to use your current wallet for segwit.
Ideally, you'll want Armory 0.96.3.99/0.96.4 RC1 and then change your preferences to use P2SH-P2WPKH (Segwit) in Armory. Change address too, perhaps but that is up to you regarding privacy.
I don't think upgrading Core is required, but the node rpc does need to be running on your full node. Offline machines with 0.96.4 RC1 can force segwit availability with --force-enable-segwit.
droark

Activity: 525
Merit: 282

View Profile WWW
December 24, 2017, 03:00:50 AM

Also, upgrade to 0.96.4 RC1 if you can, or wait for RC2 (should be out...soon).
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: