Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 03:54:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why underclock video memory?  (Read 5586 times)
dizzy1 (OP)

Activity: 134
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 04:47:06 AM

Why do so many people underclock their video memory?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
McFly

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 04:52:22 AM

lower gpu temps
bmgjet

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 05:26:25 AM

On my 6850 lowers temp 64 to 63c but gives 3mhs faster also.

Donations to: 1BMGjetfht9XLkGBYR4TSsuXjrYEKACcow
1stbits: 1bmgjet
300MHash/s 6850 http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/5u6wr/
Overclocked for 6 years and still strong http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1931458 & http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=285337
fascistmuffin

Activity: 56

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 05:27:09 AM

A more technical answer:

There is no need to have fast memory, or much memory, when hashing since nothing is being cached in the RAM on the card. When you play games, the textures needs to be cached somewhere for faster rendering since keeping it in RAM would be quite slow due to the distance from the GPU. Having faster memory on the card is optimal in gaming since the DDR memory on graphic cards are faster and closer to the GPU.
haydent

Activity: 154

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 05:47:05 AM

There is no need to have fast memory, or much memory, when hashing since nothing is being cached in the RAM on the card.

so this is why i wonder if its really worth it as its not even being used so musn't be using squat power

2x Gigabyte 6950 OC @ 920/450 w/ ati tray tools (1 shader modded) - 760Mhs on ozco.in 0% fee aus pool
btc: 1HS5Brzcsh7XkJn566XYbvfpa2JuBRBdss
fascistmuffin

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 06:07:26 AM

There is no need to have fast memory, or much memory, when hashing since nothing is being cached in the RAM on the card.

so this is why i wonder if its really worth it as its not even being used so musn't be using squat power

Since the RAM on graphics cards are Dynamic Random Access Memory(DRAM), they need their values refreshed on an interval since the capacitors storing memory leak the voltage. This is done regardless if a address in memory is being pointed to or not, or "being used" in simpler terms. The memory clock controls this refresh interval, thus lower memory clock equals lower intervals to refresh voltages, which uses less power.
haydent

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 06:12:40 AM

Since the RAM on graphics cards are Dynamic Random Access Memory(DRAM), they need their values refreshed on an interval since the capacitors storing memory leak the voltage. This is done regardless if a address in memory is being pointed to or not, or "being used" in simpler terms. The memory clock controls this refresh interval, thus lower memory clock equals lower intervals to refresh voltages, which uses less power.

thanks

2x Gigabyte 6950 OC @ 920/450 w/ ati tray tools (1 shader modded) - 760Mhs on ozco.in 0% fee aus pool
dlasher

Activity: 467
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
July 06, 2011, 06:22:26 AM

Doesn't seem to make much difference in hash rate, from what I can tell..
haydent

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 06:26:32 AM

i tried under clocking mine in afterburner but it has no effect ... over clocking the core or memory works though. and  i cant do it in ccc due to restrictions.

any tips ?

JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
July 06, 2011, 06:33:41 AM

No. The clock speed has nothing whatsoever to do with the refresh interval.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
WillMitchell

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 06:40:08 AM

I underclock memory

bmgjet

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 06:52:44 AM

use rivatuner to underclock the memory.

Donations to: 1BMGjetfht9XLkGBYR4TSsuXjrYEKACcow
1stbits: 1bmgjet
300MHash/s 6850 http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/5u6wr/
Overclocked for 6 years and still strong http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1931458 & http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=285337
Airwhale

Activity: 221

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 07:27:11 AM

Out of curiocity, how much does this save in power consumption and heat?
kano5003

Activity: 16

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 07:50:49 AM

Honestly i don't think it helps Temps or Power.
BitcoinHost.co.uk

Activity: 10

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2011, 12:59:40 AM
Last edit: July 08, 2011, 09:04:30 PM by BitcoinHost.co.uk

Out of curiocity, how much does this save in power consumption and heat?

Having found this thread, I have underclocked the memory on my RADEON 5850HD and the temp has dropped from 81°C to 72°C and the power consumption has dropped by over 100watts according to my energy monitor, or somewhere between £0.01 and £0.02 per hour.
Agozyen

Activity: 672
Merit: 252

Until the end

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 02:58:48 AM

A more technical answer:

There is no need to have fast memory, or much memory, when hashing since nothing is being cached in the RAM on the card. When you play games, the textures needs to be cached somewhere for faster rendering since keeping it in RAM would be quite slow due to the distance from the GPU. Having faster memory on the card is optimal in gaming since the DDR memory on graphic cards are faster and closer to the GPU.

Video card RAM is not used for textures.  Those are stored on the system memory and hard drive.  The RAM on a video card is only used to store the rendered frames before they are sent to the monitor.
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2011, 03:07:14 AM

Video card RAM is not used for textures.  Those are stored on the system memory and hard drive.  The RAM on a video card is only used to store the rendered frames before they are sent to the monitor.
That was true a decade ago, it's definitely true now. Here's two ways to see that this can't possibly be true:

1) 32-bit color, 1900x1200 = less than 9MB per frame. You really think they put 1GB on video cards so they can hold 117 frames?!

2) How could that possibly work? The GPU is running at blistering speed. How could it possibly apply textures if it had to keep copying between the GPU and system memory? Low end cards these days exceed 40 billion texels per second. You really think they could sustain that rate to system memory (that's already busy with system stuff) that tops out at less than 8GB/s?

The whole point to having all that fast memory is so that the GPU can render textures without bothering the CPU or main memory.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
Agozyen

Until the end

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 03:25:40 AM

Video card RAM is not used for textures.  Those are stored on the system memory and hard drive.  The RAM on a video card is only used to store the rendered frames before they are sent to the monitor.
That was true a decade ago, it's definitely true now. Here's two ways to see that this can't possibly be true:

1) 32-bit color, 1900x1200 = less than 9MB per frame. You really think they put 1GB on video cards so they can hold 117 frames?!

2) How could that possibly work? The GPU is running at blistering speed. How could it possibly apply textures if it had to keep copying between the GPU and system memory? Low end cards these days exceed 40 billion texels per second. You really think they could sustain that rate to system memory (that's already busy with system stuff) that tops out at less than 8GB/s?

The whole point to having all that fast memory is so that the GPU can render textures without bothering the CPU or main memory.

Do I really think they put 1GB on graphics cards to hold 117 frames?  YES.  How else are you going to get smooth framerates?  In Rift I get 40 - 60 FPS.  In PlanetSide I get 100+. In EQ2 I get 30 - 50.  If the rendered frames had to compete with textures then your computer would grind to a halt.  I run LOTRO with Hi-Rez textures.  That folder ALONE is over 11GB.  That very fact makes it impossible to store textures on the VRAM.  Since it would have to pick and choose what textures it needs, it would have to call them from the hard drive, to system RAM and finally the VRAM.  That's idiotic.  Especially when it makes far more sense to only send the textures you need for a given frame. 
fascistmuffin

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 03:48:02 AM

Do I really think they put 1GB on graphics cards to hold 117 frames?  YES.  How else are you going to get smooth framerates?  In Rift I get 40 - 60 FPS.  In PlanetSide I get 100+. In EQ2 I get 30 - 50.  If the rendered frames had to compete with textures then your computer would grind to a halt.  I run LOTRO with Hi-Rez textures.  That folder ALONE is over 11GB.  That very fact makes it impossible to store textures on the VRAM.  Since it would have to pick and choose what textures it needs, it would have to call them from the hard drive, to system RAM and finally the VRAM.  That's idiotic.  Especially when it makes far more sense to only send the textures you need for a given frame. 

You should research video cards before trying to make such arguments, or at least know when to look things up when someone tells you you're wrong.

"The RAM on a video card is only used to store the rendered frames before they are sent to the monitor." - This statement is just wrong, mainly because of that "only." VRAM stores lots of things besides acting solely as a frame buffer. This Memory section of the Video Card entry in wikipedia explains very briefly what VRAM is used for.

You're statements of 11GB of textures and the way you think they're loaded makes it seem like you have no idea how caching systems work. Maybe you should read about that before trying to act like an expert.

If I've learned one thing from these forums, it'd be JoelKatz is usually right about hardware.
Agozyen

Until the end

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 03:57:49 AM

Read the wikipedia entry again.  It has the word 'may' in it.  Just because it's capable of different things doesn't mean it is used for those things. 
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: