Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 06:32:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: bitcoin.co.th trading suspended  (Read 21714 times)
Adrian-x
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 29, 2013, 05:37:41 PM

What's the official policy on human trafficking and sexual exploitation of children for profit in Thailand?

I think it's just a reaction to ฿, as opposed to BTC?

In hindsight the OP should have emphasizes the decentralised combined processing power of the P2P network and the Cryptographic side of Bitcoin, and down plaid it as a medium of exchange.

Those bankers could have fallen asleep, next time get Mike Hearn to explain how Bitcoin technically works, if you want to be ignored by the banking community.

Thank me in Bits 12MwnzxtprG2mHm3rKdgi7NmJKCypsMMQw

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
canth
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 29, 2013, 05:52:25 PM

Keep in mind that this comes from a country where there are laws against insulting the King: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%C3%A8se-majest%C3%A9#Thailand

"Whoever defames, insults or threatens the King, Queen, the Heir-apparent or the Regent, shall be punished with imprisonment of three to fifteen years."

I'm not surprised that in a country like Thailand, a body like the central bank wouldn't be ready to endorse and legitimize virtual currencies. They're just taking the safe path and deferring to other officials to make the decision and write some laws that govern these types of transactions. When faced with a precedent setting scenario that might threaten traditional banking and control, pass the buck.

sukiho

Activity: 514
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 29, 2013, 06:13:49 PM

odd that wired has changed "Bitcoin activities are illegal in Thailand" to "Bitcoin activities should be illegal in Thailand"
darkmule
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 29, 2013, 06:35:12 PM

The bankers in Thailand are basically the very same idiots who tanked the entire Asian economy in 1997 by being too stupid to understand how currency works.  While this is disappointing, it really shouldn't be surprising.

Thai bankers can fuck up all of Asia's economy, but they can't say what is illegal or not.

Yes, I didn't mean to imply that I actually agreed with their interpretation.  It still makes it difficult to operate an exchange if you can't get a bank to do transfers for you, though.  In any event, the title of the thread is overblown and perhaps entirely inaccurate.
Lohoris

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

Bitgoblin

View Profile
July 29, 2013, 06:46:26 PM

The funny thing here is that posting slander on the internet about the govt in thailand is a real crime. That is a few years jail time and he could get deported.
I don't understand, deported from where?
Did you mean "arrested", implying he already lives there, or what?

1LohorisJie8bGGG7X4dCS9MAVsTEbzrhu
DefaultTrust is very BAD.
tinus42

Activity: 784
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 29, 2013, 07:24:46 PM

Keep in mind that this comes from a country where there are laws against insulting the King
Let's look at a country I know, France, the supposed beacon of democracy.
Insulting a cop: 6500 EUR + 6 months prison
Insulting the president, foreign presidents or ambassadors: 1 year in prison - though it was only recently removed

Netherlands: making incoherent sounds at the national remembrance in present of the Queen: 6 months jail.

OT: Maybe the Thai's are p'd off that we use the baht symbol ฿ for BTCCheesy
lo1

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 29, 2013, 09:44:15 PM

Sometimes the best way to trigger adoption is to forbid usage.
The french kingdom and Parmentier did the same to foster adoption of potatoes. They claimed it was private to the court, used military guards in the day to keep the fields but they  leaked recipes...
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antoine_Parmentier#cite_note-6
Otoh
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3024
Merit: 1105

View Profile
July 29, 2013, 09:57:48 PM
Last edit: July 29, 2013, 10:22:49 PM by Otoh

Central bankers & pussies, iow, yes they do make a difference to what companies will risk doing regardless or not of any present guidelines/rules or legislation is apparent:

I hope this brings the debate in to the light in Thailand & sets some precedents for P2P use of virtual currencies in a good way, there are certainly many Thais who are not so enamored by the present gov.

BTC = $c²     My BTC addie = 1otohotohMoQoxHuxLBveQiZcV3Pji3Tc 
Bitstamp Exchange: Referal Code
CHARITY | MY REP | PREDICTION 1 | PREDICTION 2 | PREDICTION 3
countryfree
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1047

Your country may be your worst enemy

View Profile
July 29, 2013, 11:29:52 PM

Bunch of losers.
It doesn't need to be a written law, just imagine Ben Bernanke saying at a dinner that BTC should be illegal. Thousands would loose confidence, and many exchanges would close.

I'm sorry for Thai people, and I guess BTC users will just have to spend their BTC in neighboring Cambodia or Vietnam. Or maybe someone could write to the Thai embassy asking how I could travel there with nothing but BTC in hand?

I used to be a citizen and a taxpayer. Those days are long gone.
jaminunit

Activity: 132
Merit: 14

Co-Founder of TheStandard.io & Vaultoro.com

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2013, 11:39:42 PM

lets get everyone in reddit.com/r/thailand jailed by tipping them all.

I've been a Bitcoiner since 2010, and currently working on TheStandard.io, a next-generation stablecoin, and lending protocol.
The Standard Protocol Announcement thread
jaminunit

Activity: 132
Merit: 14

Co-Founder of TheStandard.io & Vaultoro.com

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2013, 11:44:22 PM

We need a massive bitcoin campaign on every thai embassy.

Bitcoin stickers and posters on and around every thai embassy
Bitcoin phone calls to every Thai embassy

bitcoin letters sent to every embassy

Bitcoin emails

And they all need to say that we have thousands of dollars but will only spend it in Thailand in bitcoin.

Also praising the king!in all your communications! they love the king. (it's good to be the king')

I've been a Bitcoiner since 2010, and currently working on TheStandard.io, a next-generation stablecoin, and lending protocol.
The Standard Protocol Announcement thread
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 12:23:19 AM

They still have the grave memory about their currency been heavily shorted during Asian financial storm, any financial related uncertianty will scare them Wink

shawshankinmate37927

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

Bitcoin: The People's Bailout

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 02:25:37 AM

Hopefully, we'll have decentralized, peer-to-peer, crypto for cash / cash for crypto exchanges in the near future to make all of this talk of regulating exchanges moot.  Trying to get the blessing of bankers and politicians will ultimately prove to be a fool's errand.  Even if you were to eventually get their stamp of approval at some point, it would only be temporary.  Bitcoin is simply incompatible with their agenda.  You can rest assured they will go to great lengths in order to prevent a large-scale escape from fiat.  The focus should be on taking the exchanges underground and rendering any current (real or imaginary) or future regulations irrelevant.

"It is well enough that people of the nation do not understand our banking and monetary system, for if they did, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning."   - Henry Ford
niner

Activity: 189
Merit: 100

You are here ---------> but you're not all there.

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2013, 03:17:17 AM

but as I understand, it's not a law, but just conclusion of a bunch of idiots at the meeting.

Exactly.
And no law means it is legal since Thai law like the British law
it derives from states "that which is not prohibited is allowed"
This is not the only guy trading coins in the country and nobody else
has suspended trading.

Ⓑ Ⓘ Ⓣ Ⓒ Ⓞ Ⓘ Ⓝ 1NMBixVgJyA63MExRuChcxjhKAW1QkvZU4
digital49ers.com   bitcoin.de   Alt Coins: CryptsyVircurex
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2013, 03:21:44 AM

Maybe they're upset about Bitcoin trying to steal their ฿ symbol?
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 06:41:21 AM

They're all using the same source.
The internet hype machine at work.

Wow, there goes what little respect I had for wired.

That answers my implied questions in hardcore thread wether this had any merit.

Thanks.

I think my bullshit detector is broken. Shame on you, wired.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
manfred
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1001

Energy is Wealth

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 06:45:57 AM

but as I understand, it's not a law, but just conclusion of a bunch of idiots at the meeting.

Exactly.
And no law means it is legal since Thai law like the British law
it derives from states "that which is not prohibited is allowed"
This is not the only guy trading coins in the country and nobody else
has suspended trading.
Easiest way to find out what will happen if someone openly trades some bitcoins. Or better still sent a physical bitcoin as a gift to the King from overseas.
becoin
Legendary

Activity: 3431
Merit: 1233

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 07:22:46 AM

I don't understand why some people are so upset that Thailand central bankers said bitcoin is illegal? Did you really expect something different? I don't. This is just the beginning. More central bankers from other countries will follow.

Apparently, many of you forget that when it comes to money the central bankers are the law. The law is what they say is the law! If it was any different then Ben Bernanke would have already been in jail for printing out 85 billion counterfeit dollars every month.
becoin
Legendary

Activity: 3431
Merit: 1233

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 07:46:50 AM

There is no evidance they said that.
Neither there is evidence they didn't. What would be the interest of OP without any reason to shut down their bitcoin echange in which they've invested heavily?
darkmule
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 08:12:41 AM

They still have the grave memory about their currency been heavily shorted during Asian financial storm, any financial related uncertianty will scare them Wink

What they should have learned from that is that government currency manipulation can lead to disaster.  After all, the reason it was shorted was that it was entirely predictable the price would crash, yet the government insisted on artificially fixing the exchange rate to a price of their choosing in relation to USD.  The rest of Southeast Asia's economies went down like dominos and with them, the Asian economy in general and a good chunk of the entire world's economy.

Now, even if the OP has exaggerated, if he is at least telling the substantive truth about what the bankers are saying, they are creating yet another mess just by expressing unfounded opinions recklessly.  (OP may be guilty of that bad habit himself.)
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: