Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 02:26:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BitCoin ruled illegal in Thailand  (Read 4470 times)
mufa23
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001

I'd fight Gandhi.

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 01:37:25 PM

I can't find any credible source and/or government (thailand) declaring that Bitcoins are illegal. Goat has pretty much covered what I was going to say.

Positive rep with: pekv2, AzN1337c0d3r, Vince Torres, underworld07, Chimsley, omegaaf, Bogart, Gleason, SuperTramp, John K. and guitarplinker
joesmoe2012

Activity: 882
Merit: 501

Ching-Chang;Ding-Dong

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2013, 01:45:32 PM

I can't believe how far FUD can fly, i've never seen it to this degree before.

Check out BitcoinATMTalk - https://bitcoinatmtalk.com
Lohoris

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

Bitgoblin

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 01:48:11 PM

Not only this is FUD and OP didn't bother checking the source, but he also capitalised incorrectly Bitcoin in the thread title... -.-

1LohorisJie8bGGG7X4dCS9MAVsTEbzrhu
DefaultTrust is very BAD.
davecoin

Activity: 816
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 03:37:33 PM

Damn, it's on engadget too. 

http://www.engadget.com/2013/07/30/thailand-bitcoin-ban/#comments
joesmoe2012

Activity: 882

Ching-Chang;Ding-Dong

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2013, 03:38:23 PM

It was on the Dutch news!

Check out BitcoinATMTalk - https://bitcoinatmtalk.com
polarhei

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

Firing it up

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 03:42:31 PM

I think, there is something wrong with. No one can block the mining but limit the usage. Better to read who first.
marketalchemy

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 04:42:51 PM

btc is legal in thailand, you all got trolled...

An online website from the UK definitely reported that the Thailand court ruled that the exchange of bitcoins for currency is illegal. At least if it involves an international transaction.

A court eh...

Source please.

If it is a real media site and not some random scam site or blog i will give you a free btc.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/currency/10210022/Bitcoins-banned-in-Thailand.html

^^This is the article that I was specifically referring to, but there are many more online.
greyhawk

Activity: 952
Merit: 1009

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 05:02:35 PM

Would be the first court that can rule things illegal I ever heard of anyway. That's the parliaments/kings/dictators job. Courts interprets law, they don't make it.
skull88

Activity: 683

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 05:31:55 PM

Also in Belgium on the news, saddening how bad the news media verify their sources.

BTC: 1MifMqtqqwMMAbb6zr8u6qEzWqq3CQeGUr
LTC: LhvMYEngkKS2B8FAcbnzHb2dvW8n9eHkdp
marketalchemy

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 06:14:02 PM

Would be the first court that can rule things illegal I ever heard of anyway. That's the parliaments/kings/dictators job. Courts interprets law, they don't make it.

i just find it funny how people think some guy in a bank = court = law

idiots all around...

You are correct. It did not say "court." However, I think that it would be very naive to totally disregard the fact that the Bank does not recognize the Bitcoin as a legitimate source of currency. I do not see how that does not factor into whether or not this public announcement will affect the use of Bitcoins in Thailand. When you want to make a point, you should not try to disprove other people's statements via name-calling. That only makes you look like you want to win your argument by any means necessary and not because your argument is actually a sound one.

Also, a court's interpretation of the law has A LOT to do with how the law is enforced. Words without meaning really don't mean much, do they?
turtle83

Activity: 322

Supersonic

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2013, 06:18:02 PM

i just find it funny how people think some guy in a bank = court = law

idiots all around...

You are correct. It did not say "court." However, I think that it would be very naive to totally disregard the fact that the Bank does not recognize the Bitcoin as a legitimate source of currency. I do not see how that does not factor into whether or not this public announcement will affect the use of Bitcoins in Thailand. When you want to make a point, you should not try to disprove other people's statements via name-calling. That only makes you look like you want to win your argument by any means necessary and not because your argument is actually a sound one.

Also, a court's interpretation of the law has A LOT to do with how the law is enforced. Words without meaning really don't mean much, do they?

Its the opposite. The statement if true recognizes Bitcoin to be a form of currency.

turtle83

Activity: 322

Supersonic

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2013, 01:06:31 PM

From a bangkok post article in the newspaper today (business page 1)
The central bank said it will consider the issue further with no specific time line, said the company’s statement.

Governor Prasarn Trairatvorakul said the central bank rejected the request for foreign exchange operating licence of bitcoins on concern that it would lead to currency exchange speculation.
‘‘We need some time to seek advice from the ICT ministry and the Securities and Exchange Commission first,’’ he said

This was in an article attributed to AP, but the online versions of the article dont have that info (even on the version on the newspaper's site). Remembered reading it in the paper earlier... so looked it up in an online service...

I guess this is the only instance of a reply from BoT about this issue....

edmundedgar

Activity: 352

https://www.realitykeys.com

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2013, 11:54:23 PM

I can't believe how far FUD can fly, i've never seen it to this degree before.

It happens all the time, especially with non-English-speaking countries where English-language journalists don't know how to check sources.

Another recent example was the claim that Japan were banning Tor. This came from someone reading an English-language report and jumping to conclusions, which then got relayed to the BBC and all the most trustworthy tech news sources. Somebody then went back and checked the original minutes that the first English-language report had been based on and discovered there was nothing like a ban being suggested, but nobody bothered correcting because nobody wants to run the story "Our earlier story was a load of shite" or "Japan not banning Tor, nothing interesting happened today".
joae1975

Activity: 752

View Profile
August 01, 2013, 01:59:05 AM

Yeah, but the really funny yet awesome thing about all of this is THEY CAN'T BAN BITCOIN.
Unless they shut down the internet forever. LMAO!

1PewuG8KZJUPK3CtvAkAs1Uw42rQgUv5Jk
Lohoris

Activity: 630

Bitgoblin

View Profile
August 01, 2013, 09:37:45 AM

but nobody bothered correcting because nobody wants to run the story "Our earlier story was a load of shite" or "Japan not banning Tor, nothing interesting happened today".
And that's why rectifying should be enforced by law.

1LohorisJie8bGGG7X4dCS9MAVsTEbzrhu
DefaultTrust is very BAD.
yolo2222

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 01, 2013, 11:22:26 AM

"Dont feed the trolls,please."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsMj6UK4i7g

Viceroy

Activity: 924

View Profile
August 02, 2013, 02:34:43 PM

"THAILAND MAKES BITCOINS ILLEGAL BECAUSE ITS LAWS ARE TOO OLD-FASHIONED"
http://www.fastcompany.com/3015007/fast-feed/thailand-makes-bitcoins-illegal-because-its-laws-are-too-old-fashioned

"A bitcoin company says the virtual currency is illegal in Thailand"
http://blogs.marketwatch.com/thetell/2013/07/29/bitcoin-now-illegal-in-thailand/?mod=MW_latest_news

"Thai central bank rules Bitcoin to be illegal"
http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2013-07/29/bitcoin-illegal-in-thailand

Well somebody better go tell the news media that bitcoin is not illegal because it certainly looks illegal...
Viceroy

View Profile
August 02, 2013, 06:13:44 PM

heerrrp a derrrppp press is now the courts...

No, nor is FinCEN's statement the equivalent of Case Law in the US... but it would be smart to follow the advice, no?

"The ruling means it is illegal to buy and sell bitcoins, buy or sell any goods or services in exchange for bitcoins, send any bitcoins to anyone outside of Thailand, or receive bitcoins from anyone outside the country".

https://bitcoin.co.th/news/

At the conclusion of the meeting senior members of the Foreign Exchange Administration and Policy Department advised that due to lack of existing applicable laws, capital controls and the fact that Bitcoin straddles multiple financial facets the following Bitcoin activities are illegal in Thailand:

Buying Bitcoins
Selling Bitcoins
Buying any goods or services in exchange for Bitcoins
Selling any goods or services for Bitcoins
Sending Bitcoins to anyone located outside of Thailand
Receiving Bitcoins from anyone located outside of Thailand

Viceroy

View Profile
August 02, 2013, 07:43:11 PM
Last edit: August 02, 2013, 10:29:05 PM by Viceroy

Wow, what a thoughtful addition to the conversation.   Roll Eyes

"Any type of currency enchange service in Thailand needs to get a license from the Bank of Thailand, according to the Exchange Control Regulations in Thailand whether it’s “real” money or not. That’s why Bitcoin Co. Ltd. needed to be authorised to operate, and since it didn’t have that authorization, it was forced to shut down."

http://memeburn.com/2013/08/bitcoin-and-thailand-whats-really-happening/

Sounds almost exactly like what happened with FinCEN DHS and MtGox.... well except that these guys actually tried to follow the law and voluntarily shut down unlike MtGox and all the other illegal bitcoin exchanges.

"However, the Bank of Thailand isn’t just ignoring this matter. It’s working with the relevant authorities such as the Ministry of ICT and the Securities and Exchange Commission to sort this out. Using Bitcoin in any way within the Kingdom of Thailand is banned for now"

OMG Goat, you must be scared, they seem to be coming for you directly.

"Prasan Trairatworakun, Bank of Thailand’s governor, says that the bank hasn’t approved Bitcoin Co. Ltd. to do business in Thailand because the transactions that the company is involved in center around the exchange rate but are not an actual currency exchange (since bitcoin is not a physical currency)."

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: