Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 08:44:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Would you rather have faith in...
Humans trading and building freely. - 34 (85%)
Government-structured democracy. - 6 (15%)
Total Voters: 39

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: So, let's say this is a matter of faith...  (Read 3996 times)
LokeRundt

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 09, 2011, 05:49:55 PM

Poll needs another option:  local despotism.

....what about divine monarchy while we're at it?

Both are very similar to democracy.

The only difference is in democracy you get to choose the PR every 4 years.

Heh, riiiiiiight. . . .man, they're not even trying.  Not even getting crypto-security on that

Hippy Anarchy
*shrug*
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
westkybitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 05:57:32 AM

I believe if there will ever be any hope for humanity, it will be in its inherent and voluntary form.

False choice.  People working together who work together and elect a government fall under both options.

Only if those people elect a government over themselves only. The instant they try to expand that government to some other non-consenting person, then that contradicts the "freely" part of the first option of the poll.

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
newMeat1

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 06:19:44 AM

I work for a small engineering company of driven people who take charge of their own products. It's amazing to see how much more we get done than the large bureaucratic companies who we contract for. Small and self-motivated is the way to go.

myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2011, 07:20:03 AM

I work for a small engineering company of driven people who take charge of their own products. It's amazing to see how much more we get done than the large bureaucratic companies who we contract for. Small and self-motivated is the way to go.

You can do big and self-motivated, too. Look at Google.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2011, 06:34:21 PM

Why not both? This hard-line shit is just childish. Regulation is required for some things, but where this line is drawn is a matter of debate.

Some rape is alright but where we draw the line is a matter of debate?

I think tentacle-based is alright... But I guess that's also up for debate.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2011, 06:46:14 PM

Why not both? This hard-line shit is just childish. Regulation is required for some things, but where this line is drawn is a matter of debate.

I think you may have used the wrong word there. Wink

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2011, 06:49:54 PM

Should it be detailed, scrutinizing review, perhaps followed by a nap?
myrkul

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2011, 06:55:28 PM

Should it be detailed, scrutinizing review, perhaps followed by a nap?

I was going for a more succinct term but yeah, that works.

Timo Y
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1001

bitcoin - the aerogel of money

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 07:05:57 PM

If humans can't govern themselves then what hope do they have to govern others?

If doctors can't treat themselves then what hope to they have to treat others?

If (most) humans can't build passenger aircraft what hope to they have to let others build aircraft for them?

see the flaw?

Politicians are supposed to be representatives of the people and they are supposed to be competent and informed enough to make decisions about public goods that the average joe is too ignorant and incompetent to make.  Not saying that this is always true in practice though...

GPG ID: FA868D77   bitcoin-otc:forever-d
myrkul

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2011, 07:11:25 PM

Politicians are supposed to be representatives of the people and they are supposed to be competent and informed enough to make decisions about public goods that the average joe is too ignorant and incompetent to make.  Not saying that this is always true in practice though...

Here's the flaw in your argument: If people can not be trusted to govern themselves, then how can they be trusted to choose good governors?

Timo Y
Legendary

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 07:19:27 PM

How can you grant someone the right to do something that you don't have the right to do yourself?

Actually, you are not granting a person the right to do something that you don't have the right to do yourself.  

You are surrendering some of your rights to an abstract entity called democratic government , and you are only surrendering them under the condition that every other person living under this governments also surrenders their rights.

Even the leaders working for that government have surrendered their rights just like you. They are not privileged as individuals. They cannot exert power arbitrarily. They can only do so as a collective.

Timo Y
Legendary

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 07:22:01 PM

Quote from: myrkul link=topic=26435.msg363558#msg363558
Here's the flaw in your argument: If people can not be trusted to govern themselves, then how can they be trusted to choose good governors?

If people can not be trusted to build airplanes that won't fall out of the sky, then how can they be trusted to choose good airplane manufacturers?

Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2011, 07:23:58 PM

If humans can't govern themselves then what hope do they have to govern others?

If doctors can't treat themselves then what hope to they have to treat others?

If (most) humans can't build passenger aircraft what hope to they have to let others build aircraft for them?

see the flaw?

Another problem with this is, if a doctor or an airplane maker screws up, I can abandon them and go for a replacement immediately. With politicians I'm pretty much stuck until the ignorant masses change their minds.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2011, 07:30:42 PM

How can you grant someone the right to do something that you don't have the right to do yourself?
You are surrendering some of your rights to an abstract entity called democratic government , and you are only surrendering them under the condition that every other person living under this governments also surrenders their rights.

You can't surrender a right you don't have either.

Quote from: myrkul link=topic=26435.msg363558#msg363558

If people can not be trusted to build airplanes that won't fall out of the sky, then how can they be trusted to choose good airplane manufacturers?

And should I let you select which airplane manufacturer I fly on? Would you let me pick yours?

Timo Y
Legendary

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 07:37:20 PM

Another problem with this is, if a doctor or an airplane maker screws up, I can abandon them and go for a replacement immediately. With politicians I'm pretty much stuck until the ignorant masses change their minds.

That's why I'm a believer in highly federated, localized "competitive government".  

I agree that democracy fails when it becomes too large and too centralized.

myrkul

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2011, 07:38:33 PM

That's why I'm a believer in highly federated, localized "competitive government".  

So am I. We only differ in scale.

bjorn

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 07:44:32 PM

That's a cool idea. Competitive government can also be considered "scientific government" in a way, since different systems will be experimented with and the outcomes observed. I wish states would consider using something like charter cities (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charter_city); cede some land to an organization and let them organize it on their own terms.
Timo Y
Legendary

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 07:56:11 PM

So am I. We only differ in scale.

In principle I agree with you, I just think that your scale is not practicable.  Democratic government is a necessary evil, because without it, the stronger members of society start bullying the weaker members of society until a mafia emerges that doesn't give a shit about the non-aggression principle.

I would love to be proven wrong though...

myrkul

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2011, 08:04:00 PM

In principle I agree with you, I just think that your scale is not practicable.  Democratic government is a necessary evil, because without it, the stronger members of society start bullying the weaker members of society until a mafia emerges that doesn't give a shit about the non-aggression principle.

I would love to be proven wrong though...

Democratic government is the stronger members of society bullying the weak.

Look at the US fight over Gay marriage. Because they're in the minority, they are denied the right to sign a contract!

Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2011, 08:09:31 PM

I'm actually for that except for specific things where "customers" don't have a choice, nor rights in their choices. Specifically, public education, where customers are kids. I'm for it being highly federalized, and believe the main reason it's failing so horribly here in US is because it is very fragmented by state, and because America is too proud (stuck-up) to even take lessons from other countries, preferring to screw things up and learn from it's own mistakes instead.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: