Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 04:17:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Entitlement Mentality  (Read 11683 times)
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 05:10:37 PM

they are complaining that they cant earn a living wage with the skill of dunking fries in the oil then putting salt on them putting them in a box and handing the box to someone. idk about entitlement but to me its just weird that they believe that skill is worth 15 dollars per hour. there's really hardly any value at all in that "skill", 7 dollars already seems like way too much.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
the joint (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 05:14:57 PM

When I graduated and began work as a counselor in the adult psychiatric unit of a Chicago hospital, I made $15/hr with a post-graduate degree and was sent to the emergency room twice for being assaulted on the job within a period of 6 months.

When was that? $15 was worth more ten years ago than it is now due to inflation.

A year or two ago this guy was on this forum boo-hoo'ing about being a broke student as I remember things.  Maybe he was not whining about that, but there was something fairly trivial that he made a notable stink about.  Anyway, I remember how I felt when I had my first 'well paying' job.  It was like walking on air and a big confidence booster and a strode the earth like Goliath for a few weeks.  It is understandable now that the guy would be crowing about his success...albeit a little ugly that he would be berating an entire class of people who don't have the wherewithal to go get one of the countless 'dream jobs' that abound.

>$500 is not trivial.  When you win a skill-based contest fair and square then you lose out on the winnings that are owed to you according to the rules, making a "stink" is justified.  I don't regret defending my position whatsoever.

A far as the rest of your post goes, I'm not really sure how to respond.  If you're suggesting that either I shouldn't be proud of doing what I had to do to better my circumstances, or that this pride somehow makes me entitled and that undermines my original point (I.e I'm a hypocrite), or that I was being boastful and veering off topic, or that I'm berating a specific "class" of people at all, then I can only form one conclusion: you don't even know what the OP was even about so as to make a contextually relevant response.
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 05:18:14 PM

Essentially, it sounds like you're advocating a sloppy and lazy business plan. Quit your whining, enjoy your job, and instead of complaining about workers seek in this world, why don't you go enjoy a nice lunch somewhere?

Holy non-sequitor.

Not at all. It's been demonstrated that fast food restaurants can afford higher wages. They just have to be a successful business, such as In-n-Out. Of course, if you're less successful, or let's just plain say, "unsuccessful", you can still get your business to survive if you pay below a living wage.

If your food is of low quality, and your service sucks, you can't pack your restaurant at lunch time. Ergo, you're not selling to capacity, and your bottom line is not so good, so you have to pay low wages. That just about sums it up for most fast food restaurants.

It's a non-sequitur because you're saying I'm implying something that absolutely doesn't follow from what I said.  My statements apply to those employed by both 'sloppy' and efficient businesses.   What you said would be like me suggesting that you're now implying that every business should only be allowed to profit a certain amount and the rest should necessarily be distributed to employees.  But that, of course, would be silly...

Incorrect. If I said that, In-n-Out's owner would have to distribute her billion dollar plus fortune to its workers. Ridiculous.

As for your statement - you admitted it. You advocate both 'sloppy' and efficient businesses. I advocate efficient and well run businesses myself.

Read it again.  I am indeed saying it would be ridiculous for me to suggest that is what you implied, just as its ridiculous that you're saying I'm implying anything about 'advocating' sloppy businesses.  

I will say that there simply ARE businesses that are sloppier than others, but this has absolutely nothing to do with the OP.

Everything I've said is indeed implicit in your OP.

Mediocre fast food restaurants fail (and thus need to pay lower wages) because they offer a substandard product and thus get less customers per store. These restaurants employ one half to one fourth the employees per store that In-n-Out employs, and serve one half to one fourth the customers at any given time. They fail precisely because they have bad service and bad food.

Note that they require two to four times as many stores to create the same revenue that one In-n-Out store creates. And so, because of their poor product, they pay their expenses out to real estate costs and building costs, instead of to the employees.

Is this an entitlement issue with regard to the employees? No, it isn't. If you want to look to why these crappy businesses exist, look to the minimum wage.

All you're doing is talking about something that you 'think' is implied but is really so far off-topic that it warrants reporting to a moderator (I wouldn't do that, but I'm simply trying to tell you that whatever implications you think are present are a product of your imagination.)
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 05:23:08 PM

they are complaining that they cant earn a living wage with the skill of dunking fries in the oil then putting salt on them putting them in a box and handing the box to someone. idk about entitlement but to me its just weird that they believe that skill is worth 15 dollars per hour. there's really hardly any value at all in that "skill", 7 dollars already seems like way too much.

To me it's not just about the amount they're asking for, it's about the lack of understanding about what it would actually mean for a fast food restaurant to virtually double the salaries of all if their employees.   

But my personal opinion is that $15 is way too high in comparison with other jobs that pay $15/he and require a higher skill set.
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 05:28:27 PM

To me it's not just about the amount they're asking for, it's about the lack of understanding about what it would actually mean for a fast food restaurant to virtually double the salaries of all if their employees.   

But my personal opinion is that $15 is way too high in comparison with other jobs that pay $15/he and require a higher skill set.

eh well so long as they arnt trying to use the government to twist anyone's arms than i say more power to them.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
crumbs

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 05:29:03 PM

Looks like some people still assume that there are enough jobs available for everyone.
Many people can't find a different job. Or find one at all.
Not only are there jobs out there, there are DREAM jobs out there.  You know why most people don't get hired for those jobs?  They submit their credentials to monster.com or some agency website and get tossed into a stack with everyone else.  Accordingly, they don't stick out in any way and they fight for the same spot with dozens of other people.
I always get responses (and usually a job offer to boot) when i send a custom cover letter directly to a hiring manager's email address.  I skip ahead of all the uncreative ones and my assertiveness demonstrates to the employer that I'm a go-getter.  Demanding a better wage or position is an inferior approach to demonstrating why it is deserved.  
Entitlement mentality.  
Entitlement to avoid backed up traffic caused by plebs striking for a living wage or, as you so eloquently put it, "protesting about something you don't care about"?  Next time you feel the need to share your views on cover letter optimisation, pull over and share with the picketers.  I'm sure they'll appreciate it more than i.
The comment about being backed up in traffic had to do with other protests, not this one specifically.  That's why I said it was a "side note."

You make it a habit of accusing others of posting non-sequiturs, while UR entitled to veer off on irrelevant tangents & reveries in mid-thought?  K, Sport.

I'm saying that it's the demanding nature of the protest and the context that makes me believe the attitude is one of collective entitlement that is undeserved.  When that entitlement carries so far as to disturb others going about their daily lives, it becomes just that -- a disturbance.
You're entitled to your opinion, though I'm not sure why you seem so offended by mine.

Your inconsequential aside obviously disturbed me enough to reply.  If your are sincerely unsure why your opinion offends me, i'm happy to answer: because it is offensive.
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 05:48:04 PM

Looks like some people still assume that there are enough jobs available for everyone.
Not only are there jobs out there, there are DREAM jobs out there.  You know why most people don't get hired for those jobs?  They submit their credentials to monster.com or some agency website and get tossed into a stack with everyone else.  Accordingly, they don't stick out in any way and they fight for the same spot with dozens of other people.
I always get responses (and usually a job offer to boot) when i send a custom cover letter directly to a hiring manager's email address.  I skip ahead of all the uncreative ones and my assertiveness demonstrates to the employer that I'm a go-getter.  Demanding a better wage or position is an inferior approach to demonstrating why it is deserved.  
Entitlement mentality.  
Entitlement to avoid backed up traffic caused by plebs striking for a living wage or, as you so eloquently put it, "protesting about something you don't care about"?  Next time you feel the need to share your views on cover letter optimisation, pull over and share with the picketers.  I'm sure they'll appreciate it more than i.
The comment about being backed up in traffic had to do with other protests, not this one specifically.  That's why I said it was a "side note."

You make it a habit of accusing others of posting non-sequiturs, while UR entitled to veer off on irrelevant tangents & reveries in mid-thought?  K, Sport.

I'm saying that it's the demanding nature of the protest and the context that makes me believe the attitude is one of collective entitlement that is undeserved.  When that entitlement carries so far as to disturb others going about their daily lives, it becomes just that -- a disturbance.
You're entitled to your opinion, though I'm not sure why you seem so offended by mine.

Your inconsequential aside obviously disturbed me enough to reply.  If your are sincerely unsure why your opinion offends me, i'm happy to answer: because it is offensive.

*Facepalm* I hope you know the difference between a non-sequitor as a direct counter argument vs. veering off-topic and clearly indicating that its not meant to support any argument at all.

Regarding the OP being 'offensive' to you, that's fine, that's why I asked for everyone's thoughts.  I just have the suspicion that you're being offended by something that you imagined existed in the OP.
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 05:49:54 PM

eh well so long as they arnt trying to use the government to twist anyone's arms than i say more power to them.

Agreed.  I'm all for people being able to express their beliefs and stand up for them.
cryptoanarchist
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1003

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 05:58:49 PM

Um, no.  I'm getting a bit sick of this attitude of entitlement floating around the USA, and keep in mind I work in the field of social services.

Though I'm in 100% agreement with you about American's sense of entitlement, as a gov't employee, you're the wrong person to be talking about it - the hypocrisy is almost painful to witness.

I'm grumpy!!
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 06:16:21 PM

Um, no.  I'm getting a bit sick of this attitude of entitlement floating around the USA, and keep in mind I work in the field of social services.

Though I'm in 100% agreement with you about American's sense of entitlement, as a gov't employee, you're the wrong person to be talking about it - the hypocrisy is almost painful to witness.

Apples vs. oranges.  The contexts are entirely different (I.e demanding what is owed according to defined rules vs. demanding nothing that is owed in the absence of defined rules).
crumbs

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 06:19:56 PM

Entitlement mentality.  

*Facepalm* I hope you know the difference between a non-sequitor as a direct counter argument vs. veering off-topic and clearly indicating that its not meant to support any argument at all.

Regarding the OP being 'offensive' to you, that's fine, that's why I asked for everyone's thoughts.  I just have the suspicion that you're being offended by something that you imagined existed in the OP.

Facepalm yourself a few more times, op -- make it worth your while.  Your inability to follow simple narrative is likely due to a cheap education, not FirstAscent's use of non-sequiturs.   Ockham's Razor.
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 06:29:49 PM

Entitlement mentality.  

Regarding the OP being 'offensive' to you, that's fine, that's why I asked for everyone's thoughts.  I just have the suspicion that you're being offended by something that you imagined existed in the OP.

Facepalm yourself a few more times, op -- make it worth your while.  Your inability to follow simple narrative is likely due to a cheap education, not FirstAscent's use of non-sequiturs.   Ockham's Razor.

If you'd like to devolve to ad hominems, by all means.  UC Santa Barbara is indeed cheap compared with Northwestern and the University of Chicago, but I thought I'd opt for the scenery over the prestige.  Maybe I'm materialistic after all.

You know Occam's razor is about removing as many assumptions as possible given a specific data set, and not adding them, right?  

crumbs

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 06:41:16 PM

Entitlement mentality.  

If you'd like to devolve to ad hominems, by all means.  UC Santa Barbara is indeed cheap compared with Norhwestern and the University of Chicago, but I thought I'd opt for the scenery over the prestige.  Maybe I'm materialistic after all.

You know Occam's razor is about removing as many assumptions as possible given a specific data set, and not adding them, right?  

Absolutely.  Not finding any lapses of logic or continuity in FirstAscent's post, i assumed substandard education was responsible for your blunder.  But you insist that's not the case.  Feel like sharing?
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 07:01:16 PM

Entitlement mentality.  

If you'd like to devolve to ad hominems, by all means.  UC Santa Barbara is indeed cheap compared with Norhwestern and the University of Chicago, but I thought I'd opt for the scenery over the prestige.  Maybe I'm materialistic after all.

Absolutely.  Not finding any lapses of logic or continuity in FirstAscent's post, i assumed substandard education was responsible for your blunder.  But you insist that's not the case.  Feel like sharing?

The 'lapse in logic' in FirstNascent's post is that he 'assumed' (which Occam's Razor doesn't like) that I said anything that implied I was advocating one way or another for a certain kind of business.  He missed that, and now so have you.

The only thing that would be relevant to share about my education (given that you are attacking my reasoning ability) is that I was offered a paid position as an undergrad to be a philosophy TA for my performances in my Philosophy of Logic and Philosophy of Ethics classes; my professor said I was the only student she's had in the past 10+ years that received 100% on all assignments and tests throughout the entire semester for both classes.
tinus42

Activity: 784
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 07:15:42 PM

Essentially, it sounds like you're advocating a sloppy and lazy business plan. Quit your whining, enjoy your job, and instead of complaining about workers seek in this world, why don't you go enjoy a nice lunch somewhere?

Holy non-sequitor.

Not at all. It's been demonstrated that fast food restaurants can afford higher wages. They just have to be a successful business, such as In-n-Out. Of course, if you're less successful, or let's just plain say, "unsuccessful", you can still get your business to survive if you pay below a living wage.

If your food is of low quality, and your service sucks, you can't pack your restaurant at lunch time. Ergo, you're not selling to capacity, and your bottom line is not so good, so you have to pay low wages. That just about sums it up for most fast food restaurants.

There's a saying: If you pay peanuts you'll get monkeys. Which applies to those joints. They are typified by unmotivated staff and a high turnover of staff.

Basically everyone who has brains quits working there as soon as they can find a better job. This must seem like communism to the bosses who run those places.
FirstAscent

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 09:32:50 PM

Entitlement mentality.  

The 'lapse in logic' in FirstNascent's post is that he 'assumed' (which Occam's Razor doesn't like) that I said anything that implied I was advocating one way or another for a certain kind of business.  He missed that, and now so have you.

I didn't assume anything.
crumbs

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 10:34:31 PM

Entitlement mentality.  

The 'lapse in logic' in FirstNascent's post is that he 'assumed' (which Occam's Razor doesn't like) that I said anything that implied I was advocating one way or another for a certain kind of business.  He missed that, and now so have you.

The only thing that would be relevant to share about my education (given that you are attacking my reasoning ability) is that I was offered a paid position as an undergrad to be a philosophy TA for my performances in my Philosophy of Logic and Philosophy of Ethics classes; my professor said I was the only student she's had in the past 10+ years that received 100% on all assignments and tests throughout the entire semester for both classes.

Rags on FirstAscent for dropping non-sequiturs.
Rags on me for not understanding non-sequiturs.
Can't spell non-sequitur.

"Just As Good As An Coledge!"
FirstAscent

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 10:43:23 PM

Here's what I saw:

1. OP believes fast food workers are losers.
2. OP believes fast food workers don't deserve a liveable wage.
3. OP believes he is entitled because he's got the right stuff.
4. OP believes employers know best.
5. OP believes employers are entitled to run a bad business model and still succeed.
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 11:24:08 PM

Here's what I saw:

5. OP believes employers are entitled to run a bad business model and still succeed.

1. No, I believe some fast food workers are losers, but that's off-topic.  I'm still not sure how you even equated "entitled" with "loser" or why you would assume I would.

2. No, you pulled all this class and living wage talk out of thin air.  Are you one of those sensitive PC types that thinks every opinion has a prejudiced undertone?

3. No, I believe I am entitled because I worked to change my circumstances instead of demanding that someone change them for me.  I wouldn't call it some huge accomplishment that I deserve a pat on the back for.  It's basically common sense, and I was giving myself a pat on the back in the OP because that type of attitude appears less common nowadays.  

Yes, believe it or not, I'm allowed to have a self-esteem and use a positive experience to help demonstrate a point.

4. Huh?  Seriously, where do get all this crap from?

5. Dude, stop.  Are you made of straw?  Btw, I have no idea what to make of that sentence since I don't see how a successful business model is a bad model, at least in terms of, well, business.
FirstAscent

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 11:33:36 PM

Here's what I saw:

1. No, I believe some fast food workers are losers, but that's off-topic.  I'm still not sure how you even equated "entitled" with "loser" or why you would assume I would.

2. No, you pulled all this class and living wage talk out of thin air.  Are you one of those sensitive PC types that thinks every opinion has a prejudiced undertone?

3. No, I believe I am entitled because I worked to change my circumstances instead of demanding that someone change them for me.  I wouldn't call it some huge accomplishment that I deserve a pat on the back for.  It's basically common sense, and I was giving myself a pat on the back in the OP because that type of attitude appears less common nowadays.  

Yes, believe it or not, I'm allowed to have a self-esteem and use a positive experience to help demonstrate a point.

4. Huh?  Seriously, where do get all this crap from?

5. Dude, stop.  Are you made of straw?  Btw, I have no idea what to make of that sentence since I don't see how a successful business model is a bad model, at least in terms of, well, business.

LOL. For what is supposedly a refutation, it sure sounds a lot like an endorsement.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: