Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 04:18:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Entitlement Mentality  (Read 11683 times)
J603

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 06:35:41 PM

Rassah,

Sounds like you really know your stuff about McDonald's. No doubt with their excellent business model and progressive menu, it shouldn't be an issue for them to change their starting pay to well above minimum wage like In-n-Out. At least we both now know that their menu prices won't undergo a rise in price if ever they had to pay their employees more. Kudos to you for pointing this out and rendering the joint's opinion even more suspect, as he was claiming fast food businesses just wouldn't be able to afford it.

I worked at McDonald's Corp for a while, and had the chance to see visit their central office and see how they operate from the inside.
And how the hell do you come to that conclusion after numerous questions from myself and others of "Why should McDonald's deny someone a job if they need it more and are willing to charge less for their labor?"

How does In-n-Out determine whom to give a job to? I can't imagine burger flipping has a lot of qualifications.

I've been in McDonald's many times - no doubt hundreds and hundreds of times. Same with In-n-Out. Experiencing both gives one both perspective. I have both perspectives. You don't.

Hundreds?  Grin

Seems like we have a hypocrite over here. Tell me, did you start hating McDonald's burgers the 100th time you went? Or was it the 101st that really pushed you over the edge?

You think hundreds is a lot in a lifetime? Maybe I also have the perspective of living longer than you.

Hundreds for a company you supposedly hate is a lot. If I don't like somewhere, do you know how many times I go back there? 0.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2013, 07:23:52 PM

I've been in McDonald's many times - no doubt hundreds and hundreds of times. Same with In-n-Out. Experiencing both gives one both perspective. I have both perspectives. You don't.

Really? Wait, do you mean just in front of the counter? Or behind the counter and at their business office? If the former, that's an incredible skill. I, for instance, would never be able to figure out a company's business structure just by shopping in their stores.

(One way to test your skill: Why is Walmart kicking everyone else's butt? What does it do that no one else did before?)

P.S. I worked there, and I visit there often (especially when I go on long roadtrips), and I'm not exactly young, but I doubt I've been there a hundred times, let alone two hundred. On the other hand, I'm not a fan of Burger King, and I know I haven't been to their chain more than maybe 20 times in my lifetime. So, your claim is a bit weird. Especially considering that, by your own admission, you paid hundreds of times for overprices crappy burgers, when you had a much better and cheaper alternative.
FirstAscent

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 07:29:19 PM

Really? Wait, do you mean just in front of the counter? Or behind the counter and at their business office? If the former, that's an incredible skill. I, for instance, would never be able to figure out a company's business structure just by shopping in their stores.

(One way to test your skill: Why is Walmart kicking everyone else's butt? What does it do that no one else did before?)

As I said, I have both perspectives. You don't.
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2013, 07:32:22 PM

Really? Wait, do you mean just in front of the counter? Or behind the counter and at their business office? did before?)

Should I take that as your admission that you have worked in fast food at both McDonald's and In-n-Out burger? Or are you saying "both" as in a perspective of "both" restaurants just from your experience shopping there?

And if latter, can you tell why is Walmart has such an enormous competitive advantage over every other store, just from your experience shopping there?
FirstAscent

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 07:36:29 PM

Really? Wait, do you mean just in front of the counter? Or behind the counter and at their business office? did before?)

Should I take that as your admission that you have worked in fast food at both McDonald's and In-n-Out burger? Or are you saying "both" as in a perspective of "both" restaurants just from your experience shopping there?

I have worked at neither. I have patronized both, obviously.

And if latter, can you tell why is Walmart has such an enormous competitive advantage over every other store, just from your experience shopping there?

I'm not really interested in googling Walmart. Anyway, I prefer Target - it's a much cleaner and nicer shopping experience.
Richy_T
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 2117

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 07:38:33 PM

How does In-n-Out determine whom to give a job to? I can't imagine burger flipping has a lot of qualifications.

I bet it's smart, well presented people with pleasant manners and a good work ethic. The kind of people FA wants McDonalds to shower money upon would be out-of-work in and In-n-Out dominated world. And other than the welfare he'd like to give them in that case, it would probably be a good thing. I hate stopping off somewhere and the tables are covered in spilled food and the toilets are vomit-inducing.

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2013, 08:12:42 PM

Ah, so you claim to know the business structure of both companies just because you have bought their products? Hard to believe, considering you have shown time and again that you don't really understand or think things through when it comes to business.

I'm not really interested in googling Walmart. Anyway, I prefer Target - it's a much cleaner and nicer shopping experience.

I didn't say google it. You claimed to understand what McDonalds and In-n-Out businesses do just because you shopped there. I'm sure you shopped at WalMart once before, too. So it should have been pretty obvious to you, based on your shopping experience, that the only reason WalMart is so successful is because WalMart invented a completely new, computerized, and automated supply chain system the likes of which the world has never seen before, and still can't duplicate.
FirstAscent

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 08:17:46 PM

Ah, so you claim to know the business structure of both companies just because you have bought their products? Hard to believe, considering you have shown time and again that you don't really understand or think things through when it comes to business.

Everything that needs to be known is plain as day:

1. Polls show people like In-n-Out better.
2. Their food is fresher (actually fresh).
3. Their prices are competitive, even better.
4. Their service is great.
5. Their wages are publicized.
6. They're busy as hell. Go to one.
7. They're doing very well.

I didn't say google it. You claimed to understand what McDonalds and In-n-Out businesses do just because you shopped there. I'm sure you shopped at WalMart once before, too. So it should have been pretty obvious to you, based on your shopping experience, that the only reason WalMart is so successful is because WalMart invented a completely new, computerized, and automated supply chain system the likes of which the world has never seen before, and still can't duplicate.

So? I prefer Target, as do lots of other people.
the joint (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 08:27:35 PM

Ok, listen up, you dumbass.  You just listed 7 things that are "everything that needs to be known."

Not a single fucking one of them has ANYTHING to do with the attitudes of striking workers, the topic of the OP.

You're the type of person that makes me want to sacrifice good karma just so I can have fun being a dick to you, and also the type of person that makes me want to report you to a moderator like a child tattling to a grown-up.
FirstAscent

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 08:33:46 PM

Ok, listen up, you dumbass.  You just listed 7 things that are "everything that needs to be known."

Not a single fucking one of them has ANYTHING to do with the attitudes of striking workers, the topic of the OP.

You're the type of person that makes me want to sacrifice good karma just so I can have fun being a dick to you, and also the type of person that makes me want to report you to a moderator like a child tattling to a grown-up.

I wasn't responding to you, nor your original post. Why do you keep going on about the importance of your original post?
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2013, 08:54:48 PM

So the only thing that's left to be known is, why is McDonald's all over the world, making hundreds of millions of dollars, and In-n-Out is an obscure thing in a few states, making a fraction of that? You know, the most important question of all.
I mean, SURELY if all those things were the most important things that need to be known about the success of these businesses, then In-n-Out would have restaurants all over the country, hiring millions of employees for "decent" wages, while McDonald's would be the obscure chain that's only in a few states, right?
FirstAscent

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 08:57:47 PM

So the only thing that's left to be known is, why is McDonald's all over the world, making hundreds of millions of dollars, and In-n-Out is an obscure thing in a few states, making a fraction of that? You know, the most important question of all.

Why is that the most important question of all?

Perhaps a more important question: how does In-n-Out always win the hamburger polls with ease vs. McDonald's, manage to pay their employees significantly more, and yet charge no more, sometimes less, for an equivalently sized meal?
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2013, 08:58:55 PM

Why is that the most important question of all?

Perhaps a more important question: how does In-n-Out always win the hamburger polls with ease vs. McDonald's, manage to pay their employees significantly more, and yet charge no more, sometimes less, for an equivalently sized meal?

No, I think the most important question is, why is McDonalds able to, and *IS* hiring a hell of a lot more employees than In-n-Out. You know, if we were to stick at least somewhat to the OP.
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 09:06:11 PM

I wasn't responding to you, nor your original post. Why do you keep going on about the importance of your original post?

Do you like being stupid?  I can't believe you just asked that question.

I created this thread to have a discussion about the topic.  You have instead insisted on replacing the topic of the thread with your own topic. 

I guess I should've created a thread that contained absolutely nothing that I wanted to discuss.

Imagine going to a steak restaurant, and so you order a steak.  Instead, they bring you the kids' corn dog meal.  When you complain, they ask you, "Why do you insist on the steak?!"

You're an evolutionary cul-de-sac.
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2013, 09:14:43 PM

I created this thread to have a discussion about the topic.  You have instead insisted on replacing the topic of the thread with your own topic. 

That may in part have been my fault, too. Your point is that striking for higher wages was a bad use of their time, he pointed out that higher wages are possible with the In-n-Out example, and I *tried* to point out that In-n-Out has a severe lack of employment opportunities, due to their business model being much more limited than McDonald's. So, i.e. I was trying to say that those striking workers should be glad they have someone around to hire and pay them in the first place, but it all kind of went downhill from there.
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 10:04:44 PM

That may in part have been my fault, too. Your point is that striking for higher wages was a bad use of their time, he pointed out that higher wages are possible with the In-n-Out example, and I *tried* to point out that In-n-Out has a severe lack of employment opportunities, due to their business model being much more limited than McDonald's. So, i.e. I was trying to say that those striking workers should be glad they have someone around to hire and pay them in the first place, but it all kind of went downhill from there.

That's not your fault.  That's how far he's pushed his own topic -- people reading this thread will assume its about something other than what it was originally intended to be.
tinus42

Activity: 784
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 17, 2013, 08:20:46 AM

Walmart is succesful because they are cheap. And while their supply system contributes to that the main reason is that they pay very low wages. So low that many of their employees are on food stamps. Effectively they get cheap government subsidized workers That's another side of entitlement mentality.
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2013, 03:06:39 PM

Walmart is succesful because they are cheap. And while their supply system contributes to that the main reason is that they pay very low wages. So low that many of their employees are on food stamps. Effectively they get cheap government subsidized workers That's another side of entitlement mentality.

Nah, that's the popular media reason for it. They are cheap first and foremost because of their supply system (their warehouses are fully automated, working like network hubs, routing packages from truck bay to truck bay, with trucks working like network cables to deliver the packages over roads). Low wages is a minor part of it, and other more expensive stores, including Target, as just as guilty of it. But, of course, if all you've done is go to he store and shop there, you would conclude that it's just the wages.
FirstAscent

View Profile
August 17, 2013, 03:50:27 PM

Nah, that's the popular media reason for it. They are cheap first and foremost because of their supply system (their warehouses are fully automated, working like network hubs, routing packages from truck bay to truck bay, with trucks working like network cables to deliver the packages over roads). Low wages is a minor part of it, and other more expensive stores, including Target, as just as guilty of it. But, of course, if all you've done is go to he store and shop there, you would conclude that it's just the wages.

Never concluded any such thing, did I now? What I did was make conclusions about fast food.

And honestly, Walmart is really no cheaper than Target. I have comparison shopped many items and never really saw a price difference greater than a couple cents one way or another. Now, please don't take my statement about Target prices to mean that I implied you said anything about Target prices.
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2013, 03:56:30 PM

Never concluded any such thing, did I now? What I did was make conclusions about fast food.

Based on the same "I bought burgers from there, so I know" reasoning  Roll Eyes
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: