Bitcoin Forum
September 02, 2024, 01:21:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: First Week Miner  (Read 541 times)
zappak (OP)

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 01:29:42 AM

Hello Bitcoiners! I just started learning about BTC and mining after reading last week on Google News about the PPT guy. Also saw a post about mining in MaxPC this month. Seems I'm late to the party but I've already made my first hundredth of a BTC (0.01) by mining. First day, GUIMiner (first couple days actually) then I found that CGMiner was a lot faster, and today I'm giving BFGMiner a try. I've already done a pool jump (after said first 0.01 BTC) and I've ordered a few ASICMiner USB Block Eruptors. Guess that first dollar really got my *gold rush* blood pumping.

Currently watching the 8-bit cookie monster bites around the browser. I already have a 7970 that I bought for gaming - any tips on keeping it cool? Both CGMiner and BFGMiner push the card hard and it's been running around 80 - 82C while I'm watching it. I can only guess what temps it reaches while I'm at work and the A/C is off.  Huh
mitty

Activity: 359
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 01:43:34 AM

Best advice I can give you is to stop GPU mining.  You're wasting your money unless your electricity is free.

With that said, GPU mining used to be profitable and people kept their cards cool by using air conditioning or custom ducting (pull outside air in, blow hot GPU air back out without using any inside air), or by simply running the video cards in an open-air case. (or a combination of those options)

Stop mining with the video card and just use the USB sticks.. two sticks using ~5w will give you similar performance to the ~300w of a 7970. Wink  (and will cost about 1/3 of the price with the new price drop)
AscensionZ

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 01:48:04 AM
Last edit: July 30, 2013, 02:02:59 AM by AscensionZ

Awesome Zapp! hope you do well. Cheesy
gototalker

Activity: 6

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 01:50:43 AM

I have two 7850, and mine with cgminer.
zappak (OP)

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 01:57:00 AM

Appreciate the open case tip!! I kinda figured it wasn't cost effective to use the GPU but I wanted to get my feet wet as soon as I had the idea to try mining. I'll surely stop as soon as the USB devices arrive. I was really hoping that USPS would honor their delivery date of 7/29 but alas, no show. As soon as they arrive, the madness stops!  Grin

Best advice I can give you is to stop GPU mining.  You're wasting your money unless your electricity is free.

With that said, GPU mining used to be profitable and people kept their cards cool by using air conditioning or custom ducting (pull outside air in, blow hot GPU air back out without using any inside air), or by simply running the video cards in an open-air case. (or a combination of those options)

Stop mining with the video card and just use the USB sticks.. two sticks using ~5w will give you similar performance to the ~300w of a 7970. Wink  (and will cost about 1/3 of the price with the new price drop)
mitty

Activity: 359
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 31, 2013, 03:44:26 AM

This topic may also be of interest to you: Pictures of your mining rigs!
I'd check the early to mid posts for some ideas on how other people build the rigs/cooling solutions.

Good luck and I hope your USB erupters came in by now!
zappak (OP)

View Profile
July 31, 2013, 04:17:46 AM

Yes! Got the first two today!!! I'm hoping to move them out onto a couple of hubs and keep them nice and ventilated once I get the rest.
mafuda

Activity: 6

View Profile
July 31, 2013, 08:25:50 AM

Mine are in the mail.
Should get them in two days .... :-XCan't wait Grin
cuteeagle

Activity: 11

View Profile
July 31, 2013, 08:41:19 AM